Airbnb Considers Getting Rid of Guest Fees
This post contains references to products from one or more of our advertisers. We may receive compensation when you click on links to those products. Terms apply to the offers listed on this page. For an explanation of our Advertising Policy, visit this page.
Homesharing service Airbnb is piloting a program that could save guests some serious cash. According to PhocusWire, Airbnb is asking select hosts to join a program that would eliminate guest fees from their listings.
When you book an Airbnb now, guests pay a percentage of the list price as a “guest” or “service” fee, which goes straight to Airbnb. Airbnb also takes a percentage of the hosts’ earnings.
According to an Airbnb email obtained by PhocusWire, the new program will solely charge hosts a 12% fee — eliminating the guest and host fees that normally total about “15% of the listing price.” Guests wouldn’t see any fees on the frontend when booking.
Participation in the four-week trial is voluntary, and the standard fees will return after the test run is over. PhocusWire reports that a source from Airbnb said the company is looking for an alternative model to increase revenue, and its targeting the service to professional property managers. They hope the elimination of fees on the frontend will increase bookings.
Although it appears that this could save travelers money, it’s quite possible that the list price of each Airbnb will rise because hosts might incorporate Airbnb’s increased fees on the backend.
“We are constantly testing new and different ways to help our hosts accommodate more guests,” the company said in a statement to PhocusWire. “This small, temporary, and voluntary pilot is one of the many experiments we are running as we try to learn more about how we can best serve our community.”
Featured image courtesy of Airbnb.
Welcome to The Points Guy!
Earn 50,000 bonus miles and 5,000 Medallion® Qualification Miles (MQMs) after you spend $2,000 in purchases on your new card in the first three months of card membership. Plus, earn up to $100 back in statement credits for eligible purchases at U.S. restaurants in the first three months of card membership.
With Status Boost™, earn 10,000 Medallion Qualification Miles (MQMs) after you spend $25,000 in purchases on your Card in a calendar year, up to two times per year getting you closer to Medallion Status. Earn 3X Miles on Delta purchases and purchases made directly with hotels, 2X Miles at restaurants and at U.S. supermarkets and earn 1X Mile on all other eligible purchases. Terms Apply.
- Earn 50,000 Bonus Miles and 5,000 Medallion® Qualification Miles (MQMs) after you spend $2,000 in purchases on your new Card in your first 3 months.
- Plus, earn up to $100 back in statement credits for eligible purchases at U.S. restaurants with your card within the first 3 months of membership.
- Earn up to 20,000 Medallion® Qualification Miles (MQMs) with Status Boost® per year. After you spend $25,000 in purchases on your Card in a calendar year, you can earn 10,000 MQMs two times per year, getting you closer to Medallion® Status. MQMs are used to determine Medallion® Status and are different than miles you earn toward flights.
- Earn 3X Miles on Delta purchases and purchases made directly with hotels.
- Earn 2X Miles at restaurants worldwide, including takeout and delivery and at U.S. supermarkets.
- Earn 1X Miles on all other eligible purchases.
- Receive a Domestic Main Cabin round-trip companion certificate each year upon renewal of your Card. *Payment of the government imposed taxes and fees of no more than $75 for roundtrip domestic flights (for itineraries with up to four flight segments) is required. Baggage charges and other restrictions apply. See terms and conditions for details.
- Enjoy your first checked bag free on Delta flights.
- Fee Credit for Global Entry or TSA Pre✓®.
- Enjoy an exclusive rate of $39 per person per visit to enter the Delta Sky Club® for you and up to two guests when traveling on a Delta flight.
- No Foreign Transaction Fees.
- $250 Annual Fee.
- Terms Apply.
- See Rates & Fees