Airbnb Considers Getting Rid of Guest Fees
This post contains references to products from one or more of our advertisers. We may receive compensation when you click on links to those products. Terms apply to the offers listed on this page. For an explanation of our Advertising Policy, visit this page.
Homesharing service Airbnb is piloting a program that could save guests some serious cash. According to PhocusWire, Airbnb is asking select hosts to join a program that would eliminate guest fees from their listings.
When you book an Airbnb now, guests pay a percentage of the list price as a “guest” or “service” fee, which goes straight to Airbnb. Airbnb also takes a percentage of the hosts’ earnings.
According to an Airbnb email obtained by PhocusWire, the new program will solely charge hosts a 12% fee — eliminating the guest and host fees that normally total about “15% of the listing price.” Guests wouldn’t see any fees on the frontend when booking.
Participation in the four-week trial is voluntary, and the standard fees will return after the test run is over. PhocusWire reports that a source from Airbnb said the company is looking for an alternative model to increase revenue, and its targeting the service to professional property managers. They hope the elimination of fees on the frontend will increase bookings.
Although it appears that this could save travelers money, it’s quite possible that the list price of each Airbnb will rise because hosts might incorporate Airbnb’s increased fees on the backend.
“We are constantly testing new and different ways to help our hosts accommodate more guests,” the company said in a statement to PhocusWire. “This small, temporary, and voluntary pilot is one of the many experiments we are running as we try to learn more about how we can best serve our community.”
Featured image courtesy of Airbnb.
Welcome to The Points Guy!
WELCOME OFFER: 80,000 Points
TPG'S BONUS VALUATION*: $1,650
CARD HIGHLIGHTS: 2X points on all travel and dining, points transferrable to over a dozen travel partners
*Bonus value is an estimated value calculated by TPG and not the card issuer. View our latest valuations here.
- Earn 80,000 bonus points after you spend $4,000 on purchases in the first 3 months from account opening. That's $1,000 when you redeem through Chase Ultimate Rewards®. Plus earn up to $50 in statement credits towards grocery store purchases within your first year of account opening.
- Earn 2X points on dining including eligible delivery services, takeout and dining out and travel. Plus, earn 1 point per dollar spent on all other purchases.
- Get 25% more value when you redeem for airfare, hotels, car rentals and cruises through Chase Ultimate Rewards®. For example, 80,000 points are worth $1,000 toward travel.
- With Pay Yourself Back℠, your points are worth 25% more during the current offer when you redeem them for statement credits against existing purchases in select, rotating categories.
- Get unlimited deliveries with a $0 delivery fee and reduced service fees on eligible orders over $12 for a minimum of one year with DashPass, DoorDash's subscription service. Activate by 12/31/21.
- Count on Trip Cancellation/Interruption Insurance, Auto Rental Collision Damage Waiver, Lost Luggage Insurance and more.
- Get up to $60 back on an eligible Peloton Digital or All-Access Membership through 12/31/2021, and get full access to their workout library through the Peloton app, including cardio, running, strength, yoga, and more. Take classes using a phone, tablet, or TV. No fitness equipment is required.