You can now eat airplane-inspired food at this restaurant in Malaysia
This post contains references to products from one or more of our advertisers. We may receive compensation when you click on links to those products. Terms apply to the offers listed on this page. For an explanation of our Advertising Policy, visit this page.
Few people go out of their way to eat airplane food. But, then again, most people would probably say they don’t go out of their way to eat McDonald’s, either. And in that comparison, the CEO of AirAsia sees an opportunity for airline meals.
Tony Fernandes announced last year that he wanted to turn the airline’s inflight menu into a ground-based fast food franchise. In a LinkedIn post, he admitted that most people thought he was crazy when he revealed the plan, but that vision just became a reality.
Santan and T&CO, the brands that provide AirAsia’s onboard refreshments, opened a new concept for a fast food restaurant with the airline’s support on Monday. The location is in Kuala Lumpur’s Mid Valley Megamall, about 40 miles from AirAsia’s headquarters at Kuala Lumpur International Airport (KUL).
“We have seen a significant appetite for our inflight menu offerings beyond our flights across the region and this is our answer to that demand,” Catherine Go, Santan Restaurant and T&CO Cafe’s general manager said in a statement. “We are very proud to extend what started out as an inflight menu into new markets and reiterate our support for local and Asean producers and suppliers.”
The restaurant, Santan for short, will serve dishes popular with AirAsia’s passengers, including Pak Nasser’s nasi lemak and Uncle Chin’s chicken rice, as well as other Southeast Asian-inspired meals. By the end of 2020, the airline plans to expand to five fully-owned restaurants and 100 franchise locations.
“Our dream is to have one in Times Square,” Fernandes said to Reuters, hinting at the his ambitions for the restaurant.
The restaurant will use digital menu screens where customers will place orders. They’ll include what AirAsia calls “artificial intelligence” that will “recommend popular dishes based on time, past ordering patterns as well as demographic taste.” Orders can also be placed online or via the mobile app for Santan and T&CO.
The meals will cost 12 Malaysian ringgit, or about $3.
Featured photo by Miguel Candela/SOPA Images/LightRocket via Getty Images.
Welcome to The Points Guy!
Earn 90,000 bonus miles and 10,000 Medallion® Qualification Miles (MQMs) after you spend $3,000 in purchases on your new card in the first three months of card membership. Offer ends 11/10/2021.
With Status Boost™, earn 10,000 Medallion Qualification Miles (MQMs) after you spend $25,000 in purchases on your Card in a calendar year, up to two times per year getting you closer to Medallion Status. Earn 3X Miles on Delta purchases and purchases made directly with hotels, 2X Miles at restaurants and at U.S. supermarkets and earn 1X Mile on all other eligible purchases. Terms Apply.
- Limited Time Offer: Earn 90,000 Bonus Miles and 10,000 Medallion® Qualification Miles (MQMs) after you spend $3,000 in purchases on your new Card in your first 3 months. Offer expires 11/10/2021.
- Earn up to 20,000 Medallion® Qualification Miles (MQMs) with Status Boost® per year. After you spend $25,000 in purchases on your Card in a calendar year, you can earn 10,000 MQMs two times per year, getting you closer to Medallion® Status. MQMs are used to determine Medallion® Status and are different than miles you earn toward flights.
- Earn 3X Miles on Delta purchases and purchases made directly with hotels.
- Earn 2X Miles at restaurants worldwide, including takeout and delivery and at U.S. supermarkets.
- Earn 1X Miles on all other eligible purchases.
- Receive a Domestic Main Cabin round-trip companion certificate each year upon renewal of your Card. *Payment of the government imposed taxes and fees of no more than $75 for roundtrip domestic flights (for itineraries with up to four flight segments) is required. Baggage charges and other restrictions apply. See terms and conditions for details.
- Enjoy your first checked bag free on Delta flights.
- Fee Credit for Global Entry or TSA Pre✓®.
- Enjoy an exclusive rate of $39 per person per visit to enter the Delta Sky Club® for you and up to two guests when traveling on a Delta flight.
- No Foreign Transaction Fees.
- $250 Annual Fee.
- Terms Apply.
- See Rates & Fees