Drink your coffee then eat the rest: Air New Zealand testing edible cups
This post contains references to products from one or more of our advertisers. We may receive compensation when you click on links to those products. Terms apply to the offers listed on this page. For an explanation of our Advertising Policy, visit this page.
Air New Zealand is determined to make a difference when it comes to sustainability and reducing waste from flights. For its latest innovation, the New Zealand flag carrier has teamed up with local Kiwi family-run business Twiice to create an edible coffee cup, which is being trialled in lounges in Auckland and on some flights between Australia and New Zealand.
The biscotti cups are vanilla flavored and couple up as a sweet treat for passengers once they’ve finished their hot coffee or tea. The trial comes not long after the airline introduced biodegradable cups on the ground and in the air in the hope that the eight million coffee cups that the airline serves per year would not end up in landfill.
The leak and heatproof wheat flour, sugar, egg and vanilla cups are said to be going down a treat with passengers.
“I thought it was very pleasant, it was a nice way to finish the coffee,” said one Air New Zealand customer.
The airline also encourages its passengers to bring reusable cups onboard flights and to lounges. The airline hopes that in addition to the recycled water bottles that it already uses, the edible cups will be scalable and become a long-term viable replacement for single-use plastic cups.
While the cups are the only initiative between the two companies for the time being, Jamie Cashmore, cofounder of Twiice, said that the company is also working to develop a line of edible plates and dishes.
In July 2019, Air New Zealand announced that condiments served on board like salad dressing and soy sauce would be served in reusable bowls rather than individual plastic packets.
Featured image by Air New Zealand
Welcome to The Points Guy!
WELCOME OFFER: 80,000 Points
TPG'S BONUS VALUATION*: $1,650
CARD HIGHLIGHTS: 2X points on all travel and dining, points transferrable to over a dozen travel partners
*Bonus value is an estimated value calculated by TPG and not the card issuer. View our latest valuations here.
- Earn 80,000 bonus points after you spend $4,000 on purchases in the first 3 months from account opening. That's $1,000 when you redeem through Chase Ultimate Rewards®. Plus earn up to $50 in statement credits towards grocery store purchases within your first year of account opening.
- Earn 2X points on dining including eligible delivery services, takeout and dining out and travel. Plus, earn 1 point per dollar spent on all other purchases.
- Get 25% more value when you redeem for airfare, hotels, car rentals and cruises through Chase Ultimate Rewards®. For example, 80,000 points are worth $1,000 toward travel.
- With Pay Yourself Back℠, your points are worth 25% more during the current offer when you redeem them for statement credits against existing purchases in select, rotating categories.
- Get unlimited deliveries with a $0 delivery fee and reduced service fees on eligible orders over $12 for a minimum of one year with DashPass, DoorDash's subscription service. Activate by 12/31/21.
- Count on Trip Cancellation/Interruption Insurance, Auto Rental Collision Damage Waiver, Lost Luggage Insurance and more.
- Get up to $60 back on an eligible Peloton Digital or All-Access Membership through 12/31/2021, and get full access to their workout library through the Peloton app, including cardio, running, strength, yoga, and more. Take classes using a phone, tablet, or TV. No fitness equipment is required.