Drink your coffee then eat the rest: Air New Zealand testing edible cups
This post contains references to products from one or more of our advertisers. We may receive compensation when you click on links to those products. Terms apply to the offers listed on this page. For an explanation of our Advertising Policy, visit this page.
Air New Zealand is determined to make a difference when it comes to sustainability and reducing waste from flights. For its latest innovation, the New Zealand flag carrier has teamed up with local Kiwi family-run business Twiice to create an edible coffee cup, which is being trialled in lounges in Auckland and on some flights between Australia and New Zealand.
The biscotti cups are vanilla flavored and couple up as a sweet treat for passengers once they’ve finished their hot coffee or tea. The trial comes not long after the airline introduced biodegradable cups on the ground and in the air in the hope that the eight million coffee cups that the airline serves per year would not end up in landfill.
The leak and heatproof wheat flour, sugar, egg and vanilla cups are said to be going down a treat with passengers.
“I thought it was very pleasant, it was a nice way to finish the coffee,” said one Air New Zealand customer.
The airline also encourages its passengers to bring reusable cups onboard flights and to lounges. The airline hopes that in addition to the recycled water bottles that it already uses, the edible cups will be scalable and become a long-term viable replacement for single-use plastic cups.
While the cups are the only initiative between the two companies for the time being, Jamie Cashmore, cofounder of Twiice, said that the company is also working to develop a line of edible plates and dishes.
In July 2019, Air New Zealand announced that condiments served on board like salad dressing and soy sauce would be served in reusable bowls rather than individual plastic packets.
Featured image by Air New Zealand
Welcome to The Points Guy!
Earn 90,000 bonus miles after you spend $3,000 in purchases within the first three months of card membership. Plus, earn a $200 statement credit after your first Delta purchase within the first three months. Offer ends 7/28/21.
With Status Boost™, earn 10,000 Medallion Qualification Miles (MQMs) after you spend $25,000 in purchases on your Card in a calendar year, up to two times per year getting you closer to Medallion Status. Earn 3X Miles on Delta purchases and purchases made directly with hotels, 2X Miles at restaurants and at U.S. supermarkets and earn 1X Mile on all other eligible purchases. Terms Apply.
- Limited Time Offer: Earn 90,000 Bonus Miles after spending $3,000 in purchases on your new Card in your first 3 months and a $200 statement credit after you make a Delta purchase with your new Card within your first 3 months. Offer expires 7/28/2021.
- Limited Time Offer: Plus, get a 0% intro APR on purchases for 12 months from the date of account opening, then a variable 15.74%-24.74%. Offer expires 7/28/2021.
- Accelerate your path to Medallion Status, with Status Boost®. Plus, in 2021 you can earn even more bonus Medallion® Qualification Miles (MQMs) to help you reach Medallion Status.
- Earn 3X Miles on Delta purchases and purchases made directly with hotels.
- Earn 2X Miles at restaurants worldwide, including takeout and delivery and at U.S. supermarkets.
- Receive a Domestic Main Cabin round-trip companion certificate each year upon renewal of your Card. *Payment of the government imposed taxes and fees of no more than $75 for roundtrip domestic flights (for itineraries with up to four flight segments) is required. Baggage charges and other restrictions apply. See terms and conditions for details.
- Enjoy your first checked bag free on Delta flights.
- Fee Credit for Global Entry or TSA Pre✓®.
- Enjoy an exclusive rate of $39 per person per visit to enter the Delta Sky Club® for you and up to two guests when traveling on a Delta flight.
- No Foreign Transaction Fees.
- $250 Annual Fee.
- Terms Apply.
- See Rates & Fees