Air Force One Replica Floats Its Way to Washington, DC
This post contains references to products from one or more of our advertisers. We may receive compensation when you click on links to those products. Terms apply to the offers listed on this page. For an explanation of our Advertising Policy, visit this page.
This is quite the sight: A Boeing 747-200 that looks to be the spitting image of Air Force One is floating on a barge off the coast of Rhode Island right now, slowly making its way south to its destination at National Harbor on the Potomac River in Maryland.
Of course, this isn’t really the presidential plane. It’s a replica — a “never-seen-before recreation,” according to the Air Force One Experience, a museum of the presidency and one businessman’s dream to share an icon of democracy. The plane underwent several years of refurbishment before opening for tours last fall.
“This is a great asset to let kids know America belongs to them,” Ari Scharf told The Associated Press when the plane first opened for tours. “It’s a very, very sensitive time right now. There’s many people that feel they’re not included in this country. We have to do everything we can to get them engaged, to make them know their voice can be heard.”
Now the plane, which had been stationed at Quonset State Airport in Rhode Island, will be moved for “a limited engagement” in National Harbor, Maryland. The plane left Thursday and is expected to arrive at its temporary home on Monday. You can follow the journey of the barge called Island Trader via MarineTraffic. The tour-booking page on Air Force One Experience website says tours will begin October 19.
The tour includes a peek at the president’s bedroom (with two twin beds!), a presidential conference room, the president’s flying office and a mobile medical clinic, according to the AP. The cockpit and second floor of the plane are not part of the tour.
The four-engine jet with the registration N485EV first landed at Quonset in 2015. It last flew with Evergreen International Airlines, which operated it as a cargo aircraft. The plane was originally delivered in July 1973 to Singapore Airlines.
If you want the real thing, there are two real former Air Force One aircraft on display, both of which are Boeing 707s. They are located at the Ronald Reagan Presidential Library in Simi Valley and at the Museum of Flight in Seattle.
Welcome to The Points Guy!
Earn 50,000 bonus miles and 5,000 Medallion® Qualification Miles (MQMs) after you spend $2,000 in purchases on your new card in your first three months of card membership. Plus, earn up to $100 back in statement credits for eligible purchases at U.S. restaurants with your card within the first 3 months of membership.
With Status Boost™, earn 10,000 Medallion Qualification Miles (MQMs) after you spend $25,000 in purchases on your Card in a calendar year, up to two times per year getting you closer to Medallion Status. Earn 3X Miles on Delta purchases and purchases made directly with hotels, 2X Miles at restaurants and at U.S. supermarkets and earn 1X Mile on all other eligible purchases. Terms Apply.
- Earn 50,000 bonus miles and 5,000 Medallion® Qualification Miles (MQMs) after you spend $2,000 in purchases on your new Card in your first 3 months.
- Plus, earn up to $100 back in statement credits for eligible purchases at US restaurants with your card within the first 3 months of membership.
- Accelerate your path to Medallion Status, with Status Boost®. Plus, in 2021 you can earn even more bonus Medallion® Qualification Miles (MQMs) to help you reach Medallion Status.
- Earn 3X Miles on Delta purchases and purchases made directly with hotels.
- Earn 2X Miles at restaurants worldwide, including takeout and delivery and at U.S. supermarkets.
- Earn 1X Miles on all other eligible purchases.
- Receive a Domestic Main Cabin round-trip companion certificate each year upon renewal of your Card. *Payment of the government imposed taxes and fees of no more than $75 for roundtrip domestic flights (for itineraries with up to four flight segments) is required. Baggage charges and other restrictions apply. See terms and conditions for details.
- Enjoy your first checked bag free on Delta flights.
- Fee Credit for Global Entry or TSA Pre✓®.
- Enjoy an exclusive rate of $39 per person per visit to enter the Delta Sky Club® for you and up to two guests when traveling on a Delta flight.
- No Foreign Transaction Fees.
- $250 Annual Fee.
- Terms Apply.
- See Rates & Fees