AvGeek alert! You can soon sleep in a Boeing 727 at this aviation-themed hotel
This post contains references to products from one or more of our advertisers. We may receive compensation when you click on links to those products. Terms apply to the offers listed on this page. For an explanation of our Advertising Policy, visit this page.
AvGeeks, have you ever wanted to have a whole plane to yourself? Well, here’s your chance …
A retired Boeing jet in South Africa is being converted into a private VIP hotel suite that can accommodate up to six people. The aircraft suite will cater to AvGeeks or other travelers looking for a unique private accommodation.
The story first gained traction earlier this week as people took to social media with images and videos of airplane fuselage moving around South Africa.
The 727 — which is expected to be ready to accommodate visitors by October — will join an existing Boeing 737-200 that serves as a six-bedroom boutique hotel called Aerotel Hoedspruit. Reserving the whole 727 aircraft will cost between 10,000 and 12,000 South African rand per night — or about $700 to $850 — according to the hotel director, who adds that it will sleep up to six people.
In the 737, rates start at 1,800 rand per night ($128) for single-occupancy rooms and 3,000 rand ($214 USD) for double occupancy. Despite being inside of a plane, each room comes with almost all the traditional amenities you’d expect in a hotel: a queen bed, a private bathroom and shower, coffee and tea, a refrigerator and complimentary WiFi.
The hotel’s new 727 was seen being transported by road from Johannesburg O.R. Tambo Int’l Airport (JNB) to its new home in Hoedspruit, South Africa, on June 11. Moving the plane was a logistical challenge. It took five days to transport the 727 fuselage to its new location, and its journey through the countryside drew the attention of locals who witnessed the jet pass by, according to The South African.
For those interested in visiting, Aerotel Hoedspruit is about a five-hour drive from Johannesburg. But, despite its relatively remote location, it’s not completely off the tourist circuit. It sits near several noteworthy attractions such as Kruger National Park and various animal rehabilitation centers. A traveler could easily combine a safari with staying in a room in one of these unique accommodations. The hotel’s website even gives the option to add excursions while booking.
And, while the number of flights to South Africa remains significantly down as compared to pre-pandemic levels, frequent flyers have historically had plentiful options for using miles to get there.
Featured photo courtesy of Aerotel Hoedspruit/Facebook.
Welcome to The Points Guy!
Earn 50,000 bonus miles and 5,000 Medallion® Qualification Miles (MQMs) after you spend $2,000 in purchases on your new card in the first three months of card membership. Plus, earn up to $100 back in statement credits for eligible purchases at U.S. restaurants in the first three months of card membership.
With Status Boost™, earn 10,000 Medallion Qualification Miles (MQMs) after you spend $25,000 in purchases on your Card in a calendar year, up to two times per year getting you closer to Medallion Status. Earn 3X Miles on Delta purchases and purchases made directly with hotels, 2X Miles at restaurants and at U.S. supermarkets and earn 1X Mile on all other eligible purchases. Terms Apply.
- Earn 50,000 Bonus Miles and 5,000 Medallion® Qualification Miles (MQMs) after you spend $2,000 in purchases on your new Card in your first 3 months.
- Plus, earn up to $100 back in statement credits for eligible purchases at U.S. restaurants with your card within the first 3 months of membership.
- Earn up to 20,000 Medallion® Qualification Miles (MQMs) with Status Boost® per year. After you spend $25,000 in purchases on your Card in a calendar year, you can earn 10,000 MQMs two times per year, getting you closer to Medallion® Status. MQMs are used to determine Medallion® Status and are different than miles you earn toward flights.
- Earn 3X Miles on Delta purchases and purchases made directly with hotels.
- Earn 2X Miles at restaurants worldwide, including takeout and delivery and at U.S. supermarkets.
- Earn 1X Miles on all other eligible purchases.
- Receive a Domestic Main Cabin round-trip companion certificate each year upon renewal of your Card. *Payment of the government imposed taxes and fees of no more than $75 for roundtrip domestic flights (for itineraries with up to four flight segments) is required. Baggage charges and other restrictions apply. See terms and conditions for details.
- Enjoy your first checked bag free on Delta flights.
- Fee Credit for Global Entry or TSA Pre✓®.
- Enjoy an exclusive rate of $39 per person per visit to enter the Delta Sky Club® for you and up to two guests when traveling on a Delta flight.
- No Foreign Transaction Fees.
- $250 Annual Fee.
- Terms Apply.
- See Rates & Fees