Listen to an Aer Lingus Pilot Argue With JFK Air Traffic Controller
This post contains references to products from one or more of our advertisers. We may receive compensation when you click on links to those products. Terms apply to the offers listed on this page. For an explanation of our Advertising Policy, visit this page.
“And before I go, we didn’t create any situation, we flew the aircraft in a safe manner and my boss will be in contact with your boss. Good day.”
No, that’s not a line from the now-defunct sitcom LA to Vegas.
An Aer Lingus pilot operating Flight EI104 from New York (JFK) to Dublin (DUB) got into a heated confrontation with an air traffic controller shortly after taking off on Sunday evening. The pilot requested to reroute due concerns of problematic weather ahead, but the controller refused, claiming that weather is light, and instead put the plane in a holding pattern for quite some time.
The controller became frustrated with with pilot and chided, “you’ve got yourself in this position here.” While New York airspace is congested and route options become especially limited when weather is a factor, pilots are responsible for flying their aircraft safely and if they don’t feel comfortable with the instructions given by a controller, they need to be given an alternative. In some cases, air traffic control might determine a weather cell to be safe to fly through, but equipment on board indicates otherwise, so it’s ultimately the pilot’s responsibility to make that decision.
“It’s not my first day in New York, it’s not my first day in an aircraft. I did what I had to do,” the pilot told the controller.
Here’s the full exchange:
H/T: Jason Rabinowitz
Featured image by Joe Raedle / Getty Images.
Welcome to The Points Guy!
WELCOME OFFER: 60,000 Points
TPG'S BONUS VALUATION*: $1,200
CARD HIGHLIGHTS: 2X points on all travel and dining, points transferrable to over a dozen travel partners
*Bonus value is an estimated value calculated by TPG and not the card issuer. View our latest valuations here.
- Earn 60,000 bonus points after you spend $4,000 on purchases in the first 3 months from account opening. That's $750 when you redeem through Chase Ultimate Rewards®. Plus earn up to $50 in statement credits towards grocery store purchases.
- 2X points on dining at restaurants including eligible delivery services, takeout and dining out and travel & 1 point per dollar spent on all other purchases.
- Get 25% more value when you redeem for travel through Chase Ultimate Rewards®. For example, 60,000 points are worth $750 toward travel.
- With Pay Yourself Back℠, your points are worth 25% more during the current offer when you redeem them for statement credits against existing purchases in select, rotating categories.
- Get unlimited deliveries with a $0 delivery fee and reduced service fees on eligible orders over $12 for a minimum of one year with DashPass, DoorDash's subscription service. Activate by 12/31/21.
- Earn 2x total points on up to $1,000 in grocery store purchases per month from November 1, 2020 to April 30, 2021. Includes eligible pick-up and delivery services.