How to Double-Dip on Your American Airlines Flights Using This Simple Tip
This post contains references to products from one or more of our advertisers. We may receive compensation when you click on links to those products. Terms apply to the offers listed on this page. For an explanation of our Advertising Policy, visit this page.
In case you didn’t know, American Airlines, Delta, JetBlue and United all have business rewards programs which are designed to reward employers for their employee’s travels. In addition to the standard miles that travelers get from flying, the corporate account racks up points, which can be redeemed for free flights, upgrades and club passes or memberships.
American Airlines’ version of this program is called Business Extra, and it’s a great way to “double dip” on AA flights. However, one of the hassles of is having to remember to enter the number each time you make a reservation.
Thankfully, there’s a better way. You can shortcut this hassle by entering your company’s Business Extra account number in your traveler profile and it’ll automatically populate each time you make a new reservation. Here’s how to do it:
- Log in to your AA Reservation Preferences page.
- At the bottom of the page, enter your AA Business Extra account number
- Click Save.
That’s it! Now the Business Extra number will auto-populate when you book a flight while logged into your profile.
Just remember that in order to qualify for Business Extra that you need to have a small business with two or more travelers. And your business can’t have a corporate sales agreement, discount, or other agreement with American Airlines, American Eagle, British Airways or Iberia.
Note that if you make AA flight bookings through another website — such as the Chase or Citi Travel Portal — you’re still going to have to add your account number to your booking. I’ve found that the easiest way to do so is simply to call AA’s Business Extra phone number (1-800-457-7072; open 8am-7pm CT Monday-Friday) and ask an agent to add the number to the record locator.
Outside of those hours, you can try calling the Meeting Services Desk to make changes to your reservation. You can reach them at 800-433-1790, 7am-11pm CT Monday through Friday and 7am-8pm CT Saturday and Sunday.
Featured image by Robert Alexander via Getty Images
Welcome to The Points Guy!
WELCOME OFFER: 80,000 Points
TPG'S BONUS VALUATION*: $1,650
CARD HIGHLIGHTS: 2X points on all travel and dining, points transferrable to over a dozen travel partners
*Bonus value is an estimated value calculated by TPG and not the card issuer. View our latest valuations here.
- Earn 80,000 bonus points after you spend $4,000 on purchases in the first 3 months from account opening. That's $1,000 when you redeem through Chase Ultimate Rewards®. Plus earn up to $50 in statement credits towards grocery store purchases within your first year of account opening.
- Earn 2X points on dining including eligible delivery services, takeout and dining out and travel. Plus, earn 1 point per dollar spent on all other purchases.
- Get 25% more value when you redeem for airfare, hotels, car rentals and cruises through Chase Ultimate Rewards®. For example, 80,000 points are worth $1,000 toward travel.
- With Pay Yourself Back℠, your points are worth 25% more during the current offer when you redeem them for statement credits against existing purchases in select, rotating categories.
- Get unlimited deliveries with a $0 delivery fee and reduced service fees on eligible orders over $12 for a minimum of one year with DashPass, DoorDash's subscription service. Activate by 12/31/21.
- Count on Trip Cancellation/Interruption Insurance, Auto Rental Collision Damage Waiver, Lost Luggage Insurance and more.
- Get up to $60 back on an eligible Peloton Digital or All-Access Membership through 12/31/2021, and get full access to their workout library through the Peloton app, including cardio, running, strength, yoga, and more. Take classes using a phone, tablet, or TV. No fitness equipment is required.