How to Double-Dip on Your American Airlines Flights Using This Simple Tip
This post contains references to products from one or more of our advertisers. We may receive compensation when you click on links to those products. Terms apply to the offers listed on this page. For an explanation of our Advertising Policy, visit this page.
In case you didn’t know, American Airlines, Delta, JetBlue and United all have business rewards programs which are designed to reward employers for their employee’s travels. In addition to the standard miles that travelers get from flying, the corporate account racks up points, which can be redeemed for free flights, upgrades and club passes or memberships.
American Airlines’ version of this program is called Business Extra, and it’s a great way to “double dip” on AA flights. However, one of the hassles of is having to remember to enter the number each time you make a reservation.
Thankfully, there’s a better way. You can shortcut this hassle by entering your company’s Business Extra account number in your traveler profile and it’ll automatically populate each time you make a new reservation. Here’s how to do it:
- Log in to your AA Reservation Preferences page.
- At the bottom of the page, enter your AA Business Extra account number
- Click Save.
That’s it! Now the Business Extra number will auto-populate when you book a flight while logged into your profile.
Just remember that in order to qualify for Business Extra that you need to have a small business with two or more travelers. And your business can’t have a corporate sales agreement, discount, or other agreement with American Airlines, American Eagle, British Airways or Iberia.
Note that if you make AA flight bookings through another website — such as the Chase or Citi Travel Portal — you’re still going to have to add your account number to your booking. I’ve found that the easiest way to do so is simply to call AA’s Business Extra phone number (1-800-457-7072; open 8am-7pm CT Monday-Friday) and ask an agent to add the number to the record locator.
Outside of those hours, you can try calling the Meeting Services Desk to make changes to your reservation. You can reach them at 800-433-1790, 7am-11pm CT Monday through Friday and 7am-8pm CT Saturday and Sunday.
Featured image by Robert Alexander via Getty Images
Welcome to The Points Guy!
Earn 50,000 bonus miles and 5,000 Medallion® Qualification Miles (MQMs) after you spend $2,000 in purchases on your new card in your first three months of card membership. Plus, earn up to $100 back in statement credits for eligible purchases at U.S. restaurants with your card within the first 3 months of membership.
With Status Boost™, earn 10,000 Medallion Qualification Miles (MQMs) after you spend $25,000 in purchases on your Card in a calendar year, up to two times per year getting you closer to Medallion Status. Earn 3X Miles on Delta purchases and purchases made directly with hotels, 2X Miles at restaurants and at U.S. supermarkets and earn 1X Mile on all other eligible purchases. Terms Apply.
- Earn 50,000 bonus miles and 5,000 Medallion® Qualification Miles (MQMs) after you spend $2,000 in purchases on your new Card in your first 3 months.
- Plus, earn up to $100 back in statement credits for eligible purchases at US restaurants with your card within the first 3 months of membership.
- Accelerate your path to Medallion Status, with Status Boost®. Plus, in 2021 you can earn even more bonus Medallion® Qualification Miles (MQMs) to help you reach Medallion Status.
- Earn 3X Miles on Delta purchases and purchases made directly with hotels.
- Earn 2X Miles at restaurants worldwide, including takeout and delivery and at U.S. supermarkets.
- Earn 1X Miles on all other eligible purchases.
- Receive a Domestic Main Cabin round-trip companion certificate each year upon renewal of your Card. *Payment of the government imposed taxes and fees of no more than $75 for roundtrip domestic flights (for itineraries with up to four flight segments) is required. Baggage charges and other restrictions apply. See terms and conditions for details.
- Enjoy your first checked bag free on Delta flights.
- Fee Credit for Global Entry or TSA Pre✓®.
- Enjoy an exclusive rate of $39 per person per visit to enter the Delta Sky Club® for you and up to two guests when traveling on a Delta flight.
- No Foreign Transaction Fees.
- $250 Annual Fee.
- Terms Apply.
- See Rates & Fees