AA Rolls Out Digital Voucher System for Hotels, Meals and Transportation
This post contains references to products from one or more of our advertisers. We may receive compensation when you click on links to those products. Terms apply to the offers listed on this page. For an explanation of our Advertising Policy, visit this page.
TPG confirmed Saturday that American Airlines is launching a new “Hotel, Meal and Transportation” system (HMT) for passengers who experience irregular operations. The program will use digital technology to replace paper vouchers for hotels and meals in cases of delay, allowing customer service agents to distribute vouchers via passenger email address. Agents will also be able to reprint or re-send vouchers that have already been issued in case the customer misplaces the email. When customers activate the digital vouchers, the HMT system interfaces directly with hotel databases to find real-time availability, and will return canceled or unused rooms directly to the hotel’s inventory.
“Let’s say a flight cancels, and is returning to the gate,” an AA spokesperson told TPG. “Our team can automatically send an email – if we have their email address – to passengers on the flights so they can book a room directly for the evening. Passengers can then book a hotel for the evening before they even get off the aircraft. With 6,700 flights a day, irregular operations will occur. But our focus is investing in technology that makes it easier for our customers and team members when that occurs.”
“The new HMT system, which launched in mid-September, is being rolled out in a phased approach across the United States, and international destinations will begin implementation beginning in 2019. The airline is carefully monitoring feedback from employees and passengers.
This new approach should prove to be very convenient and efficient for airline staff members and travelers alike. However, this does decrease the likelihood of travelers receiving discretionary vouchers from sympathetic gate agents. The system is pre-programmed to distribute “the correct number of vouchers per customer,” which most likely will mean a lot less flexibility for individual decision-makers.
This process may also create more complications for large groups traveling together, or for families with small children who may not have individual email accounts associated with the airline booking. In cases like these, it’s a great idea to utilize this handy email trick for managing multiple loyalty accounts.
Welcome to The Points Guy!
WELCOME OFFER: 80,000 Points
TPG'S BONUS VALUATION*: $1,650
CARD HIGHLIGHTS: 2X points on all travel and dining, points transferrable to over a dozen travel partners
*Bonus value is an estimated value calculated by TPG and not the card issuer. View our latest valuations here.
- Earn 80,000 bonus points after you spend $4,000 on purchases in the first 3 months from account opening. That's $1,000 when you redeem through Chase Ultimate Rewards®. Plus earn up to $50 in statement credits towards grocery store purchases within your first year of account opening.
- Earn 2X points on dining including eligible delivery services, takeout and dining out and travel. Plus, earn 1 point per dollar spent on all other purchases.
- Get 25% more value when you redeem for airfare, hotels, car rentals and cruises through Chase Ultimate Rewards®. For example, 80,000 points are worth $1,000 toward travel.
- With Pay Yourself Back℠, your points are worth 25% more during the current offer when you redeem them for statement credits against existing purchases in select, rotating categories.
- Get unlimited deliveries with a $0 delivery fee and reduced service fees on eligible orders over $12 for a minimum of one year with DashPass, DoorDash's subscription service. Activate by 12/31/21.
- Count on Trip Cancellation/Interruption Insurance, Auto Rental Collision Damage Waiver, Lost Luggage Insurance and more.
- Get up to $60 back on an eligible Peloton Digital or All-Access Membership through 12/31/2021, and get full access to their workout library through the Peloton app, including cardio, running, strength, yoga, and more. Take classes using a phone, tablet, or TV. No fitness equipment is required.