AA Rolls Out Digital Voucher System for Hotels, Meals and Transportation
This post contains references to products from one or more of our advertisers. We may receive compensation when you click on links to those products. Terms apply to the offers listed on this page. For an explanation of our Advertising Policy, visit this page.
TPG confirmed Saturday that American Airlines is launching a new “Hotel, Meal and Transportation” system (HMT) for passengers who experience irregular operations. The program will use digital technology to replace paper vouchers for hotels and meals in cases of delay, allowing customer service agents to distribute vouchers via passenger email address. Agents will also be able to reprint or re-send vouchers that have already been issued in case the customer misplaces the email. When customers activate the digital vouchers, the HMT system interfaces directly with hotel databases to find real-time availability, and will return canceled or unused rooms directly to the hotel’s inventory.
“Let’s say a flight cancels, and is returning to the gate,” an AA spokesperson told TPG. “Our team can automatically send an email – if we have their email address – to passengers on the flights so they can book a room directly for the evening. Passengers can then book a hotel for the evening before they even get off the aircraft. With 6,700 flights a day, irregular operations will occur. But our focus is investing in technology that makes it easier for our customers and team members when that occurs.”
“The new HMT system, which launched in mid-September, is being rolled out in a phased approach across the United States, and international destinations will begin implementation beginning in 2019. The airline is carefully monitoring feedback from employees and passengers.
This new approach should prove to be very convenient and efficient for airline staff members and travelers alike. However, this does decrease the likelihood of travelers receiving discretionary vouchers from sympathetic gate agents. The system is pre-programmed to distribute “the correct number of vouchers per customer,” which most likely will mean a lot less flexibility for individual decision-makers.
This process may also create more complications for large groups traveling together, or for families with small children who may not have individual email accounts associated with the airline booking. In cases like these, it’s a great idea to utilize this handy email trick for managing multiple loyalty accounts.
Welcome to The Points Guy!
Earn 50,000 bonus miles and 5,000 Medallion® Qualification Miles (MQMs) after you spend $2,000 in purchases on your new card in your first three months of card membership. Plus, earn up to $100 back in statement credits for eligible purchases at U.S. restaurants with your card within the first 3 months of membership.
With Status Boost™, earn 10,000 Medallion Qualification Miles (MQMs) after you spend $25,000 in purchases on your Card in a calendar year, up to two times per year getting you closer to Medallion Status. Earn 3X Miles on Delta purchases and purchases made directly with hotels, 2X Miles at restaurants and at U.S. supermarkets and earn 1X Mile on all other eligible purchases. Terms Apply.
- Earn 50,000 bonus miles and 5,000 Medallion® Qualification Miles (MQMs) after you spend $2,000 in purchases on your new Card in your first 3 months.
- Plus, earn up to $100 back in statement credits for eligible purchases at US restaurants with your card within the first 3 months of membership.
- Accelerate your path to Medallion Status, with Status Boost®. Plus, in 2021 you can earn even more bonus Medallion® Qualification Miles (MQMs) to help you reach Medallion Status.
- Earn 3X Miles on Delta purchases and purchases made directly with hotels.
- Earn 2X Miles at restaurants worldwide, including takeout and delivery and at U.S. supermarkets.
- Earn 1X Miles on all other eligible purchases.
- Receive a Domestic Main Cabin round-trip companion certificate each year upon renewal of your Card. *Payment of the government imposed taxes and fees of no more than $75 for roundtrip domestic flights (for itineraries with up to four flight segments) is required. Baggage charges and other restrictions apply. See terms and conditions for details.
- Enjoy your first checked bag free on Delta flights.
- Fee Credit for Global Entry or TSA Pre✓®.
- Enjoy an exclusive rate of $39 per person per visit to enter the Delta Sky Club® for you and up to two guests when traveling on a Delta flight.
- No Foreign Transaction Fees.
- $250 Annual Fee.
- Terms Apply.
- See Rates & Fees