American Airlines AAdvantage removes earning, converting partnership with 3 hotel chains
This post contains references to products from one or more of our advertisers. We may receive compensation when you click on links to those products. Terms apply to the offers listed on this page. For an explanation of our Advertising Policy, visit this page.
If you’re an American Airlines flyer who frequently converts hotel points to AA miles or earns miles from stays, I have some bad news for you.
Starting April 1, 2020, American AAdvantage members will no longer be able to earn AAdvantage miles on stays or convert hotel points to AAdvantage miles with Hilton, Best Western or Choice Hotels. The last day to convert points to American miles will be March 31, 2020.
Previously, if you transferred 10,000 Hilton Honors points (worth $60, according to TPG valuations), you’d get 1,500 AAdvantage miles, worth just $21 based on our valuation of 1.4 cents each. Transferring 5,000 Choice Privileges points would get you 1,000 AAdvantage miles, and you could transfer Best Western points to American at a 5:1 ratio.
If you like to earn AAdvantage miles through other American partners including Marriott Bonvoy and World of Hyatt, you’ll be glad to know that those partnerships are still intact and you can still earn and convert miles through those hotels.
With Marriott, you can earn two miles for every dollar spent at select properties, including JW Marriott, and one mile per dollar at other properties including Residence Inn. You’ll earn 500 miles each stay at a Hyatt property. Currently, World of Hyatt points transfer to American at a ratio of 2:1 while Marriott Bonvoy points transfer a ratio of 3:1. Note that for every 60,000 Marriott Bonvoy points converted within the same transaction, you’ll earn an additional 5,000 AAdvantage miles.
While the most well-known hotel-to-airline transfer program is Marriott Bonvoy, a number of airlines have partnerships with hotel loyalty programs that let you transfer hotel points into airline miles. It’s rarely a good value, but it can be useful for cleaning out hotel points that you can’t use or topping off an airline account if you’re just shy of a great redemption.
Featured photo of Hilton Harbor St. Lucia courtesy of Booking.com.
Welcome to The Points Guy!
Earn 90,000 bonus miles and 10,000 Medallion® Qualification Miles (MQMs) after you spend $3,000 in purchases on your new card in the first three months of card membership. Offer ends 11/10/2021.
With Status Boost™, earn 10,000 Medallion Qualification Miles (MQMs) after you spend $25,000 in purchases on your Card in a calendar year, up to two times per year getting you closer to Medallion Status. Earn 3X Miles on Delta purchases and purchases made directly with hotels, 2X Miles at restaurants and at U.S. supermarkets and earn 1X Mile on all other eligible purchases. Terms Apply.
- Limited Time Offer: Earn 90,000 Bonus Miles and 10,000 Medallion® Qualification Miles (MQMs) after you spend $3,000 in purchases on your new Card in your first 3 months. Offer expires 11/10/2021.
- Earn up to 20,000 Medallion® Qualification Miles (MQMs) with Status Boost® per year. After you spend $25,000 in purchases on your Card in a calendar year, you can earn 10,000 MQMs two times per year, getting you closer to Medallion® Status. MQMs are used to determine Medallion® Status and are different than miles you earn toward flights.
- Earn 3X Miles on Delta purchases and purchases made directly with hotels.
- Earn 2X Miles at restaurants worldwide, including takeout and delivery and at U.S. supermarkets.
- Earn 1X Miles on all other eligible purchases.
- Receive a Domestic Main Cabin round-trip companion certificate each year upon renewal of your Card. *Payment of the government imposed taxes and fees of no more than $75 for roundtrip domestic flights (for itineraries with up to four flight segments) is required. Baggage charges and other restrictions apply. See terms and conditions for details.
- Enjoy your first checked bag free on Delta flights.
- Fee Credit for Global Entry or TSA Pre✓®.
- Enjoy an exclusive rate of $39 per person per visit to enter the Delta Sky Club® for you and up to two guests when traveling on a Delta flight.
- No Foreign Transaction Fees.
- $250 Annual Fee.
- Terms Apply.
- See Rates & Fees