American Airlines Selects New Employee Uniforms
This post contains references to products from one or more of our advertisers. We may receive compensation when you click on links to those products. Terms apply to the offers listed on this page. For an explanation of our Advertising Policy, visit this page.
After American Airlines had a disastrous uniform rollout in 2016 that resulted in lawsuits, the airline will be debuting new uniforms by the end of 2019.
The new uniforms offer a wide selection of shirts and scarves, designed with deep blues and reds. American allowed its employees to select their uniforms and held a fashion show in Dallas last week where dozens of American representatives on the Frontline Uniform Advisory Team voted on two final designs. The two new options, “Skybound” and “Modern Voyage,” are designed by Lands’ End, the airline’s new manufacture. Modern Voyage won by a 60% majority.
“We’re working hard to deliver an industry-leading uniform program designed in collaboration with our frontline team members. We previously announced that in an effort to get our team into new uniforms that everyone feels comfortable wearing, Lands’ End will produce our current design in Aviation Blue, and team members were involved every step of the way for the new shirting and accessory designs being introduced,” the airline said in a statement.
In September 2016, thousands of American employees claimed their new uniforms were causing them to break out in hives and experience other health issues. The manufacturer, Twin Hill, denied these allegations and said there was no evidence linking any of the symptoms to to their uniforms. Alaska Airlines experienced similar symptoms from Twin Hill uniforms in 2013, but lost the lawsuit. After American received 5,000 complaints, the airline announced it would not be renewing its contract with Twin Hill after it expires in 2020.
The first wave of the new uniforms will be released by the end of 2019 and bolder designs will come out in 2021. The entire uniform will be Oeko-Tex Standard 100 Certified, the highest certification level for textile products. Along with the uniform fabric, belts, zippers, buttons, sewing threads and product labels will also be tested, the Chicago Business Journal reports.
Welcome to The Points Guy!
Earn 90,000 bonus miles after you spend $3,000 in purchases within the first three months of card membership. Plus, earn a $200 statement credit after your first Delta purchase within the first three months. Offer ends 7/28/21.
With Status Boost™, earn 10,000 Medallion Qualification Miles (MQMs) after you spend $25,000 in purchases on your Card in a calendar year, up to two times per year getting you closer to Medallion Status. Earn 3X Miles on Delta purchases and purchases made directly with hotels, 2X Miles at restaurants and at U.S. supermarkets and earn 1X Mile on all other eligible purchases. Terms Apply.
- Limited Time Offer: Earn 90,000 Bonus Miles after spending $3,000 in purchases on your new Card in your first 3 months and a $200 statement credit after you make a Delta purchase with your new Card within your first 3 months. Offer expires 7/28/2021.
- Limited Time Offer: Plus, get a 0% intro APR on purchases for 12 months from the date of account opening, then a variable 15.74%-24.74%. Offer expires 7/28/2021.
- Accelerate your path to Medallion Status, with Status Boost®. Plus, in 2021 you can earn even more bonus Medallion® Qualification Miles (MQMs) to help you reach Medallion Status.
- Earn 3X Miles on Delta purchases and purchases made directly with hotels.
- Earn 2X Miles at restaurants worldwide, including takeout and delivery and at U.S. supermarkets.
- Receive a Domestic Main Cabin round-trip companion certificate each year upon renewal of your Card. *Payment of the government imposed taxes and fees of no more than $75 for roundtrip domestic flights (for itineraries with up to four flight segments) is required. Baggage charges and other restrictions apply. See terms and conditions for details.
- Enjoy your first checked bag free on Delta flights.
- Fee Credit for Global Entry or TSA Pre✓®.
- Enjoy an exclusive rate of $39 per person per visit to enter the Delta Sky Club® for you and up to two guests when traveling on a Delta flight.
- No Foreign Transaction Fees.
- $250 Annual Fee.
- Terms Apply.
- See Rates & Fees