This post contains references to products from one or more of our advertisers. We may receive compensation when you click on links to those products. For an explanation of our Advertising Policy, visit this page.
In addition to earning you miles with lucrative sign-up offers and on everyday spend, the Citi / AAdvantage Platinum Select World Elite Mastercard, along with the AAdvantage Aviator Red Mastercard and the AAdvantage Aviator Silver World Elite Mastercard from Barclays, all offer a special redemption perk: a 10% rebate on all redeemed AAdvantage miles, up to 10,000 miles per calendar year.
Unfortunately this particular benefit won’t be sticking around for much longer — Barclays previously announced that its two cards would be dropping this benefit on May 1, 2019, and now Citi’s co-branded card will lose the 10% rebate as well.
In exchange for dropping the benefit, Citi / AAdvantage Platinum Select World Elite Mastercard customers will earn a $125 flight statement after spending $20,000, while Barclays Aviator cardholders will receive the new benefits outlined yesterday, including Wi-Fi credits, food and beverage credits and more, depending on which card you have.
While the replacement perks will offer value for some customers, this change could limit the appeal for flyers deciding between American’s co-branded products and the JetBlue Plus Card, which offers an uncapped 10% rebate. Considering how easy it is to take advantage of the 10% rebate — and that it’s available by default with multiple co-branded cards — this is certainly a notable loss.
Featured photo by John McDonnell / The Washington Post via Getty Images.
Know before you go.
News and deals straight to your inbox every day.
NEW INCREASED OFFER: 60,000 points! With great travel benefits, 2x points on travel & dining and a 60,000 point sign up bonus worth up to $1,200 in value, the Chase Sapphire Preferred is a great card for those looking to get into the points and miles game. Here are the top 5 reasons it should be in your wallet, or read our definitive review for more details.
- Earn 60,000 bonus points after you spend $4,000 on purchases in the first 3 months from account opening. That's $750 toward travel when you redeem through Chase Ultimate Rewards®
- Chase Sapphire Preferred named "Best Credit Card for Flexible Travel Redemption" - Kiplinger's Personal Finance, June 2018
- 2X points on travel and dining at restaurants worldwide & 1 point per dollar spent on all other purchases.
- No foreign transaction fees
- 1:1 point transfer to leading airline and hotel loyalty programs
- Get 25% more value when you redeem for airfare, hotels, car rentals and cruises through Chase Ultimate Rewards. For example, 60,000 points are worth $750 toward travel
- No blackout dates or travel restrictions - as long as there's a seat on the flight, you can book it through Chase Ultimate Rewards