A Night in This Glass Cabin May Be the Ultimate Icelandic Escape
This post contains references to products from one or more of our advertisers. We may receive compensation when you click on links to those products. Terms apply to the offers listed on this page. For an explanation of our Advertising Policy, visit this page.
While the hot springs are a serious plus, Iceland’s surreal landscape is the true selling point for travelers. With such incredible views, it’s almost a tragedy to hide yourself away in a hotel room, especially when you can stay in a glass cabin on the ocean.
The Panorama Glass Lodge is located an hour and fifteen-minutes from Keflavik Airport (on a good day) and is surrounded by mountains, trees, and a scenic fjord. According to the lodge’s website, the nearest neighbors are at least 1,000 feet away, most of the surrounding properties being summer homes.
Because it wouldn’t be a true trip to Iceland without a dip in a hot pot, there’s an on-site hot tub that offers complete privacy from neighbors. It gets better: The wooden bath is located at the back of the home, overlooking the nearby sea— offering quite the view.
The crown jewel of the cabin, though, is the bedroom; the space itself isn’t huge, but the entire room is surrounded by glass walls and a glass ceiling. This may be the ultimate spot for viewing the Northern Lights, if you’re lucky enough to catch a show.
Visiting outside of Northern Lights season? Don’t fret. The owners mention that you can regularly spot sunbathing seals or whales passing through the fjord during the summer months.
Currently, there is only one glass lodge available for rent and there’s only room for two adults. The owners discourage bringing along young children, as the wild surroundings aren’t always safe for little explorers. What it is great for: honeymooners, solo travelers looking for some quiet time, or design enthusiasts.
There’s a lot to do in the area, once you’ve had your fill of relaxing and stargazing. The glass lodge is only a 10-minute drive from Blikdalur, a fantastic spot for hiking alongside locals. If waterfalls are on your list, head to Glymur — a 25-minute drive from the cabin — which will take you on a one-and-a-half-hour hike through caves, valleys, and mountains to the country’s second-highest waterfall. You’ll also find Grábrók, a volcanic crater, about an hour drive from the home, if you’re looking for a different kind of scenery.
Before you book, make sure you plan on renting a car. There is no public transportation available to the glass lodge and there is no option for pick-ups in Reykjavik. And if you plan on visiting during the winter time, think ahead and rent a car with four-wheel drive — the slippery roads can be treacherous.
For more information on the Panorama Glass Lodge and how to book your own stay, visit the rental’s website.
Featured image courtesy Panorama Glass Lodge at Hvalfjördur.
Welcome to The Points Guy!
WELCOME OFFER: 80,000 Points
TPG'S BONUS VALUATION*: $1,650
CARD HIGHLIGHTS: 2X points on all travel and dining, points transferrable to over a dozen travel partners
*Bonus value is an estimated value calculated by TPG and not the card issuer. View our latest valuations here.
- Earn 80,000 bonus points after you spend $4,000 on purchases in the first 3 months from account opening. That's $1,000 when you redeem through Chase Ultimate Rewards®. Plus earn up to $50 in statement credits towards grocery store purchases within your first year of account opening.
- Earn 2X points on dining including eligible delivery services, takeout and dining out and travel. Plus, earn 1 point per dollar spent on all other purchases.
- Get 25% more value when you redeem for airfare, hotels, car rentals and cruises through Chase Ultimate Rewards®. For example, 80,000 points are worth $1,000 toward travel.
- With Pay Yourself Back℠, your points are worth 25% more during the current offer when you redeem them for statement credits against existing purchases in select, rotating categories.
- Get unlimited deliveries with a $0 delivery fee and reduced service fees on eligible orders over $12 for a minimum of one year with DashPass, DoorDash's subscription service. Activate by 12/31/21.
- Count on Trip Cancellation/Interruption Insurance, Auto Rental Collision Damage Waiver, Lost Luggage Insurance and more.
- Get up to $60 back on an eligible Peloton Digital or All-Access Membership through 12/31/2021, and get full access to their workout library through the Peloton app, including cardio, running, strength, yoga, and more. Take classes using a phone, tablet, or TV. No fitness equipment is required.