A Night in This Glass Cabin May Be the Ultimate Icelandic Escape
This post contains references to products from one or more of our advertisers. We may receive compensation when you click on links to those products. Terms apply to the offers listed on this page. For an explanation of our Advertising Policy, visit this page.
While the hot springs are a serious plus, Iceland’s surreal landscape is the true selling point for travelers. With such incredible views, it’s almost a tragedy to hide yourself away in a hotel room, especially when you can stay in a glass cabin on the ocean.
The Panorama Glass Lodge is located an hour and fifteen-minutes from Keflavik Airport (on a good day) and is surrounded by mountains, trees, and a scenic fjord. According to the lodge’s website, the nearest neighbors are at least 1,000 feet away, most of the surrounding properties being summer homes.
Because it wouldn’t be a true trip to Iceland without a dip in a hot pot, there’s an on-site hot tub that offers complete privacy from neighbors. It gets better: The wooden bath is located at the back of the home, overlooking the nearby sea— offering quite the view.
The crown jewel of the cabin, though, is the bedroom; the space itself isn’t huge, but the entire room is surrounded by glass walls and a glass ceiling. This may be the ultimate spot for viewing the Northern Lights, if you’re lucky enough to catch a show.
Visiting outside of Northern Lights season? Don’t fret. The owners mention that you can regularly spot sunbathing seals or whales passing through the fjord during the summer months.
Currently, there is only one glass lodge available for rent and there’s only room for two adults. The owners discourage bringing along young children, as the wild surroundings aren’t always safe for little explorers. What it is great for: honeymooners, solo travelers looking for some quiet time, or design enthusiasts.
There’s a lot to do in the area, once you’ve had your fill of relaxing and stargazing. The glass lodge is only a 10-minute drive from Blikdalur, a fantastic spot for hiking alongside locals. If waterfalls are on your list, head to Glymur — a 25-minute drive from the cabin — which will take you on a one-and-a-half-hour hike through caves, valleys, and mountains to the country’s second-highest waterfall. You’ll also find Grábrók, a volcanic crater, about an hour drive from the home, if you’re looking for a different kind of scenery.
Before you book, make sure you plan on renting a car. There is no public transportation available to the glass lodge and there is no option for pick-ups in Reykjavik. And if you plan on visiting during the winter time, think ahead and rent a car with four-wheel drive — the slippery roads can be treacherous.
For more information on the Panorama Glass Lodge and how to book your own stay, visit the rental’s website.
Featured image courtesy Panorama Glass Lodge at Hvalfjördur.
Welcome to The Points Guy!
Earn 90,000 bonus miles after you spend $3,000 in purchases within the first three months of card membership. Plus, earn a $200 statement credit after your first Delta purchase within the first three months. Offer ends 7/28/21.
With Status Boost™, earn 10,000 Medallion Qualification Miles (MQMs) after you spend $25,000 in purchases on your Card in a calendar year, up to two times per year getting you closer to Medallion Status. Earn 3X Miles on Delta purchases and purchases made directly with hotels, 2X Miles at restaurants and at U.S. supermarkets and earn 1X Mile on all other eligible purchases. Terms Apply.
- Limited Time Offer: Earn 90,000 Bonus Miles after spending $3,000 in purchases on your new Card in your first 3 months and a $200 statement credit after you make a Delta purchase with your new Card within your first 3 months. Offer expires 7/28/2021.
- Limited Time Offer: Plus, get a 0% intro APR on purchases for 12 months from the date of account opening, then a variable 15.74%-24.74%. Offer expires 7/28/2021.
- Accelerate your path to Medallion Status, with Status Boost®. Plus, in 2021 you can earn even more bonus Medallion® Qualification Miles (MQMs) to help you reach Medallion Status.
- Earn 3X Miles on Delta purchases and purchases made directly with hotels.
- Earn 2X Miles at restaurants worldwide, including takeout and delivery and at U.S. supermarkets.
- Receive a Domestic Main Cabin round-trip companion certificate each year upon renewal of your Card. *Payment of the government imposed taxes and fees of no more than $75 for roundtrip domestic flights (for itineraries with up to four flight segments) is required. Baggage charges and other restrictions apply. See terms and conditions for details.
- Enjoy your first checked bag free on Delta flights.
- Fee Credit for Global Entry or TSA Pre✓®.
- Enjoy an exclusive rate of $39 per person per visit to enter the Delta Sky Club® for you and up to two guests when traveling on a Delta flight.
- No Foreign Transaction Fees.
- $250 Annual Fee.
- Terms Apply.
- See Rates & Fees