2 Delta Planes Clipped Wings at LAX, Causing Long Flight Delays
This post contains references to products from one or more of our advertisers. We may receive compensation when you click on links to those products. Terms apply to the offers listed on this page. For an explanation of our Advertising Policy, visit this page.
Delta flights were delayed at Los Angeles International Airport (LAX) on Monday after two of the airline’s planes collided wings while taxiing to the airport’s runway.
Upon pushback from its gate at LAX, a Delta Boeing 737-900 heading to Salt Lake City as Flight 2377 clipped the wing of a Delta Boeing 757 at an adjacent gate operating Flight 696 to Atlanta. More specifically, the airline said in an email to TPG that the right winglet of the 737-900 “made contact” with the left wing of the 757 jet.
One passenger on board the 737 captured video of maintenance workers inspecting the damage to the 757’s left wing.
There were no injuries reported on board either plane, but passengers on both flights were delayed for hours as a result of the collision. The Atlanta-bound 757 was delayed for about two hours, while passengers flying on the plane to Salt Lake City were set back a whopping nine hours after the incident.
“Delta apologizes to the customers for the delay this caused while customers from both flights were accommodated on alternate aircraft,” the airline said in a statement.
Maintenance teams are still evaluating the two aircraft involved. Based on the limited video available of the damage, aviation experts say it is difficult to tell how extensive the damage is and how long repairs might take.
“Structural damage is not always evident by looking at the surface, so inspection is crucial,” former Boeing engineer Peter Lemme told TPG in an email. “The winglet has loads on it that require the structure to be healthy. Cracks and dents may have a fatigue issue as well.”
Lemme also notes that the wing impact zone is not shown in the above video. “If this involves leading or trailing edge devices, the scrutiny will extend into the actuating assembly as well.” But, he says, it all comes down to how complex the issues are that the maintenance crews uncover.
“If the damage is more than superficial,” Lemme says the repairs “might take several days.”
Welcome to The Points Guy!
Earn 90,000 bonus miles after you spend $3,000 in purchases within the first three months of card membership. Plus, earn a $200 statement credit after your first Delta purchase within the first three months. Offer ends 7/28/21.
With Status Boost™, earn 10,000 Medallion Qualification Miles (MQMs) after you spend $25,000 in purchases on your Card in a calendar year, up to two times per year getting you closer to Medallion Status. Earn 3X Miles on Delta purchases and purchases made directly with hotels, 2X Miles at restaurants and at U.S. supermarkets and earn 1X Mile on all other eligible purchases. Terms Apply.
- Limited Time Offer: Earn 90,000 Bonus Miles after spending $3,000 in purchases on your new Card in your first 3 months and a $200 statement credit after you make a Delta purchase with your new Card within your first 3 months. Offer expires 7/28/2021.
- Limited Time Offer: Plus, get a 0% intro APR on purchases for 12 months from the date of account opening, then a variable 15.74%-24.74%. Offer expires 7/28/2021.
- Accelerate your path to Medallion Status, with Status Boost®. Plus, in 2021 you can earn even more bonus Medallion® Qualification Miles (MQMs) to help you reach Medallion Status.
- Earn 3X Miles on Delta purchases and purchases made directly with hotels.
- Earn 2X Miles at restaurants worldwide, including takeout and delivery and at U.S. supermarkets.
- Receive a Domestic Main Cabin round-trip companion certificate each year upon renewal of your Card. *Payment of the government imposed taxes and fees of no more than $75 for roundtrip domestic flights (for itineraries with up to four flight segments) is required. Baggage charges and other restrictions apply. See terms and conditions for details.
- Enjoy your first checked bag free on Delta flights.
- Fee Credit for Global Entry or TSA Pre✓®.
- Enjoy an exclusive rate of $39 per person per visit to enter the Delta Sky Club® for you and up to two guests when traveling on a Delta flight.
- No Foreign Transaction Fees.
- $250 Annual Fee.
- Terms Apply.
- See Rates & Fees