All this 10-year-old wants for the holidays are TPG’s tips to fly Qantas first class
This post contains references to products from one or more of our advertisers. We may receive compensation when you click on links to those products. Terms apply to the offers listed on this page. For an explanation of our Advertising Policy, visit this page.
Well, OK, maybe only one kid wrote to TPG this holiday season, but that kiddo has a points and miles wish list that puts many others to shame.
When 10-year-old Kyle Thomas wrote his holiday letter, he didn’t ask for a gift card or a new Nintendo DS. He asked Brian Kelly, The Points Guy himself, how to redeem miles to fly in first class on the Qantas A380.
First, we have to say, great choice, Kyle. You are wise beyond your years.
Even better, Kyle, you’re on the right track. Spending 70,000 Alaska Airlines MileagePlus miles (plus about $42) to fly 16 hours in Qantas first class on a route such as Dallas (DFW) to Sydney (SYD), is indeed the best option … if you can find award space.
Related: Review of Qantas A380 first class
The much harder part of the equation for Kyle (and the rest of us) is that scoring first class on Qantas routes between the U.S. and Australia is approaching unicorn territory. It can happen, but you’re going to need lots of ExpertFlyer alerts, plenty of flexibility and even more luck. Or, just spend 10,000 more Alaska miles each way and instead fly Cathay Pacific first class to Australia, with a stop in Hong Kong (HKG). You’re going to find Cathay first class on a 777-300ER instead of an A380, but it’s still a great experience — and much easier to score with miles.
With some luck and practice, we have no doubt that Kyle will one day hold a ticket to fly the A380 in style with Qantas. Or, if he decides to change his holiday list a bit, there are plenty of other great first- and business-class products to fly using miles.
As for the rest of us, you can always email TPG at firstname.lastname@example.org if you don’t want to mail in a letter. Or, simply subscribe to the free daily TPG newsletter to get points and miles tips and news dropped in your inbox each morning.
Kyle, we’ll see you at the TPG offices to talk points and miles in 2020. Can’t wait for you to apply for one of our job openings in a few years!
Featured image by Nick Ellis / The Points Guy
Welcome to The Points Guy!
Earn 50,000 bonus miles and 5,000 Medallion® Qualification Miles (MQMs) after you spend $2,000 in purchases on your new card in the first three months of card membership. Plus, earn up to $100 back in statement credits for eligible purchases at U.S. restaurants in the first three months of card membership.
With Status Boost™, earn 10,000 Medallion Qualification Miles (MQMs) after you spend $25,000 in purchases on your Card in a calendar year, up to two times per year getting you closer to Medallion Status. Earn 3X Miles on Delta purchases and purchases made directly with hotels, 2X Miles at restaurants and at U.S. supermarkets and earn 1X Mile on all other eligible purchases. Terms Apply.
- Earn 50,000 Bonus Miles and 5,000 Medallion® Qualification Miles (MQMs) after you spend $2,000 in purchases on your new Card in your first 3 months.
- Plus, earn up to $100 back in statement credits for eligible purchases at U.S. restaurants with your card within the first 3 months of membership.
- Earn up to 20,000 Medallion® Qualification Miles (MQMs) with Status Boost® per year. After you spend $25,000 in purchases on your Card in a calendar year, you can earn 10,000 MQMs two times per year, getting you closer to Medallion® Status. MQMs are used to determine Medallion® Status and are different than miles you earn toward flights.
- Earn 3X Miles on Delta purchases and purchases made directly with hotels.
- Earn 2X Miles at restaurants worldwide, including takeout and delivery and at U.S. supermarkets.
- Earn 1X Miles on all other eligible purchases.
- Receive a Domestic Main Cabin round-trip companion certificate each year upon renewal of your Card. *Payment of the government imposed taxes and fees of no more than $75 for roundtrip domestic flights (for itineraries with up to four flight segments) is required. Baggage charges and other restrictions apply. See terms and conditions for details.
- Enjoy your first checked bag free on Delta flights.
- Fee Credit for Global Entry or TSA Pre✓®.
- Enjoy an exclusive rate of $39 per person per visit to enter the Delta Sky Club® for you and up to two guests when traveling on a Delta flight.
- No Foreign Transaction Fees.
- $250 Annual Fee.
- Terms Apply.
- See Rates & Fees