Want to see Yosemite’s famous firefall? Plan to visit in the next few weeks
This post contains references to products from one or more of our advertisers. We may receive compensation when you click on links to those products. Terms apply to the offers listed on this page. For an explanation of our Advertising Policy, visit this page.
The reason? Yosemite’s annual firefall.
Firefall is an eye-catching optical illusion that, when a few conditions sync up perfectly, make Horsetail Fall appear to be on fire.
For starters, the angle of the light at sunset has to strike perfectly — and it only happens during the months of February and October. The weather must be very clear, and plenty of water needs to flow over the rocks, which may not happen during a particularly dry winter.
For more TPG news delivered each morning to your inbox, sign up for our daily newsletter.
If this near-perfect alignment happens, the waterfall will be transformed into a river of fire.
It’s impossible to guarantee that the firefall phenomenon will happen this year, but Sunset reported that the first week of February looks pretty promising.
Related: The best starter travel credit cards
If you’re lucky enough to be in Yosemite if and when the firefall occurs, the El Capitan picnic area is one of your best bets for a good view. Just note you won’t be able to park there. Northside Drive is another good choice, though again, you can’t park — or even stop — in this area. You may want to drop your car and spend the night at Yosemite Valley Lodge, though it’s at least a mile away from the good viewing points.
No matter where you park, be sure to pack comfortable sneakers or hiking boots; a camera and maybe even a chair. And you’ll need plenty of patience to withstand those crowds.
Firefall or no firefall, you can never go wrong with a trip to Yosemite, or any one of the stunning national parks around the country. Summer will be here before you know it, and that’s prime time for a visit to the park (or parks!) you’ve had on your to-do list. Be sure to check out our comprehensive guide to hotels near national parks you can book with points.
Featured image courtesy of Xin Wang/Getty Images.
Welcome to The Points Guy!
Earn 90,000 bonus miles after you spend $3,000 in purchases within the first three months of card membership. Plus, earn a $200 statement credit after your first Delta purchase within the first three months. Offer ends 7/28/21.
With Status Boost™, earn 10,000 Medallion Qualification Miles (MQMs) after you spend $25,000 in purchases on your Card in a calendar year, up to two times per year getting you closer to Medallion Status. Earn 3X Miles on Delta purchases and purchases made directly with hotels, 2X Miles at restaurants and at U.S. supermarkets and earn 1X Mile on all other eligible purchases. Terms Apply.
- Limited Time Offer: Earn 90,000 Bonus Miles after spending $3,000 in purchases on your new Card in your first 3 months and a $200 statement credit after you make a Delta purchase with your new Card within your first 3 months. Offer expires 7/28/2021.
- Limited Time Offer: Plus, get a 0% intro APR on purchases for 12 months from the date of account opening, then a variable 15.74%-24.74%. Offer expires 7/28/2021.
- Accelerate your path to Medallion Status, with Status Boost®. Plus, in 2021 you can earn even more bonus Medallion® Qualification Miles (MQMs) to help you reach Medallion Status.
- Earn 3X Miles on Delta purchases and purchases made directly with hotels.
- Earn 2X Miles at restaurants worldwide, including takeout and delivery and at U.S. supermarkets.
- Receive a Domestic Main Cabin round-trip companion certificate each year upon renewal of your Card. *Payment of the government imposed taxes and fees of no more than $75 for roundtrip domestic flights (for itineraries with up to four flight segments) is required. Baggage charges and other restrictions apply. See terms and conditions for details.
- Enjoy your first checked bag free on Delta flights.
- Fee Credit for Global Entry or TSA Pre✓®.
- Enjoy an exclusive rate of $39 per person per visit to enter the Delta Sky Club® for you and up to two guests when traveling on a Delta flight.
- No Foreign Transaction Fees.
- $250 Annual Fee.
- Terms Apply.
- See Rates & Fees