This post contains references to products from one or more of our advertisers. We may receive compensation when you click on links to those products. For an explanation of our Advertising Policy, visit this page.
One of the big mistakes in the credit card hobby is having an old credit card account closed for lack of use. This will have an negative impact on your credit score — both from an average age of accounts and a utilization perspective.
However, credit card issuers don’t want to keep a cardholder around who doesn’t spend money on their card. Even if you don’t use benefits from a card, there’s a cost for issuers just to maintain your account. So, credit card companies will eventually shut down inactive accounts.
The easiest way of preventing this is pretty obvious: Spend on the credit card. But, for cards that you have “sock-drawered” — or stashed somewhere since you don’t have room in your wallet — cycling through all of the unused cards via day-to-day purchases can be a hassle.
Enter Amazon’s Reload Your Balance option — the e-tailer will let you use a credit card to reload your balance. You can reload any amount above $0.50, and Amazon doesn’t care how many cards you use. Case in point: I have 38 cards in my Amazon profile.
About every six months, I review the credit cards that I haven’t used recently and load $5 from each one onto my Amazon Gift Card balance:
You could do less than $5, but note that some issuers won’t bother to bill you for smaller purchases. For example, I’ve had a $0.99 Amazon reload waived by Barclaycard. Not wanting to tempt fate with these smaller purchases not resetting the inactive account clock, I use $5 reloads.
While we’re on the topic, Amazon Reload Your Balance is also a great way of getting rid of any Visa or American Express gift cards you may have received. Amazon doesn’t mind taking prepaid gift cards — whether it’s a brand-new one that you got as a gift or the last $2.46 that you have on a card that you just can’t figure out how to use.
You might be wondering what to do with all of this money you’re accumulating in your Amazon account. If you’re like me, you still want to get good purchase protection and price protection on goods you buy, as well as excellent travel insurance for flights you book. So, you’ll still want to use your credit card for most purchases. The best use of these funds is for general household items, either purchased through Amazon or by buying a gift card through Amazon for stores like Bed Bath and Beyond, Whole Foods or Lowes.
For me, since I’m on the road all the time, I usually end up buying Airbnb gift cards on Amazon with my balance. Unfortunately, this means that I miss out on 3x earnings on my Chase Sapphire Reserve, but it’s an easy way for me to use up the funds.
Featured photo by @mp_develops via Twenty20
This is one of the top premium cards out there since you earn 3x on all travel and dining and have access to great perks like a $300 travel credit each cardmember year, 50% more value when you redeem points for travel through Chase Ultimate Rewards and you get elite travel benefits like Global Entry application fee rebate, Priority Pass Select and special rental car privileges.
- Earn 50K bonus points after you spend $4,000 on purchases in the first 3 months from account opening. That's $750 toward travel when you redeem through Chase Ultimate Rewards®
- $300 Annual Travel Credit as reimbursement for travel purchases charged to your card each account anniversary year
- Named a ‘Best Travel Credit Card for 2017’ by MONEY® Magazine
- 3X points on travel and dining at restaurants worldwide & 1 point per dollar spent on all other purchases. Plus, no foreign transaction fees
- Get 50% more value when you redeem your points for travel through Chase Ultimate Rewards. For example, 50,000 points are worth $750 toward travel
- 1:1 point transfer to leading airline and hotel loyalty programs
- Access to 1,000+ airport lounges worldwide after an easy, one-time enrollment in Priority Pass™ Select
- Up to $100 application fee credit for Global Entry or TSA Pre✓®