34 of the best IHG Rewards Club hotels in the US bookable for 10k points per night
This post contains references to products from one or more of our advertisers. We may receive compensation when you click on links to those products. Terms apply to the offers listed on this page. For an explanation of our Advertising Policy, visit this page.
Maximizing hotel reward night redemptions looks different for each traveler. Some travelers prefer to use their points for luxurious hotel stays they’d never pay for with cash, while other travelers try to redeem points for maximum value.
If you have a limited points budget, you may want to maximize the number of free nights you can get with your points. Luckily, this is relatively easy to do with the IHG Rewards Club program. And this is usually the approach I take when redeeming IHG Rewards Club points.
So, today I’ll describe what you need to know to maximize IHG Rewards Club redemptions at hotels bookable for 10,000 points per night. Then, I’ll tell how many nights you can squeeze out of the current sign-up bonus on the IHG Rewards Club Premier Credit Card and IHG Rewards Club Traveler Credit Card. Finally, I’ll present some of the best domestic IHG Rewards Club hotels where you can usually stay for 10,000 points per night. Now, let’s get started.
Get the latest points, miles and travel news by signing up for TPG’s free daily newsletter.
Redeeming IHG Rewards Club points for reward nights
In early 2020, the IHG Rewards Club program gradually shifted to dynamic pricing. Now, the number of points required to book a reward night at a particular hotel varies from night to night and may increase or decrease if you wait to book.
IHG doesn’t have a stated cap for how many points a reward night can cost. But, I’ve found reward nights costing as little as 7,500 points in Beijing, China. And, reward nights cost as much as 100,000 points if you stay at the InterContinental Maldives Maamunagau Resort. Based on TPG’s valuations, 7,500 IHG points are worth $38 and 100,000 points are worth $500.
Unfortunately, IHG doesn’t have a calendar search tool to find the least expensive reward night dates at a particular hotel. IHG also doesn’t provide a points range for each hotel. So, IHG loyalists are left to search on their own. As such, I can’t guarantee that all of the hotels described in this guide will be bookable for 10,000 points per night on your dates.
Maximizing the IHG Rewards Club credit card bonuses
IHG Rewards Club credit cards
The IHG Rewards Club Premier Credit Card offers a sign-up bonus of 140,000 points after you spend $3,000 on purchases in the first three months. Based on TPG’s valuations, this bonus is worth about $700. I can justify the IHG Premier’s $89 annual fee (which is waived the first year) by using the card’s anniversary night each year. But, check out the full IHG Rewards Club Premier Credit Card review to determine whether this card is right for you.
If you don’t want to pay an annual fee after the first year, there’s also the IHG Rewards Club Traveler Credit Card. The IHG Traveler Credit Card offers a sign-up bonus of 100,000 points after you spend $2,000 in the first three months. Based on TPG’s valuations, this sign-up bonus is worth $500. See the full IHG Rewards Club Traveler Credit Card review for more details.
One of the perks offered by both cards is a fourth-night free when you redeem points for stays of four nights or longer. With the fourth-night reward perk, you’ll pay zero points for every fourth night on stays booked with points. And, there’s no limit to how often you can use this perk.
How many nights can you get from the bonus?
It’s possible to find IHG reward nights for as low as 7,500 points, but I haven’t seen any such nights at U.S. hotels. So, let’s assume that you’ll redeem 10,000 points per night at the hotels described in this guide. At 10,000 points per night, you could squeeze 18 nights out of the IHG Premier Card‘s 140,000-point bonus if you stay in increments of four nights. And, you could get up to 13 nights out of the IHG Traveler Card‘s 100,000-point bonus.
Of course, that’s not counting the points earned while meeting the spending requirements to trigger the sign-up bonus. So, you’ll have even more IHG Rewards Club points to work with by the time you earn the sign-up bonus.
Hotels for visiting two cities
Some of IHG’s hotels in the U.S. are well-suited for visiting two or more popular cities from one home base. Here are a few options that I found bookable for 10,000 points per night on every date I checked:
- Candlewood Suites Durham-Rtp, North Carolina: Located in the Raleigh-Durham area of North Carolina, so both cities (as well as Chapel Hill) are within reach
- Candlewood Suites DFW South, Texas: Located 27 minutes from downtown Dallas, 23 minutes from downtown Fort Worth and three minutes from Dallas-Fort Worth airport (with a free airport shuttle)
- Candlewood Suites Knoxville Airport-Alcoa, Tennessee: Located 19 minutes from downtown Knoxville, 40 minutes from Great Smoky Mountains National Park and eight minutes from Knoxville airport (with a free airport shuttle)
- Candlewood Suites Windsor Locks Bradley Arpt, Connecticut: Located 19 minutes from Hartford, Connecticut, 25 minutes from Springfield, Massachusetts and 7 minutes from Bradley airport (with a free airport and local area shuttle)
- Candlewood Suites Newport News/Yorktown, Virginia: Located 10 minutes from downtown Newport News, 15 minutes from Newport News/Williamsburg Airport and 35 minutes from downtown Norfolk
Hotels for outdoor trips and road trips
IHG also has some hotels that are well-situated for outdoor trips. And some of these hotels could also serve as a break on a road trip. Here are some hotels for outdoor trips and road trips that are bookable for 10,000 points per night on every date I checked:
- Candlewood Suites Roswell, New Mexico: Well located for a stop along a road trip, this hotel is just 19 minutes from Bitter Lake National Wildlife Refuge and 27 minutes from Bottomless Lakes State Park
- Candlewood Suites Fort Smith, Arkansas: Located between two popular national forests, Ozarks and Ouachita
- Candlewood Suites Sierra Vista, Arizona: Located in southern Arizona near canyons known for hiking, picnicking and bird watching just 33 minutes from Kartchner Caverns State Park
- Candlewood Suites Harlingen, Texas: Located in southern Texas 46 minutes from Schlitterbahn Beach Water park, 48 minutes from South Padre Island, 10 minutes from Hugh Ramsey Nature Park and 22 minutes from Resaca De La Palma State Park and World Birding Center
Hotels near large cities
IHG has a surprising number of hotels in the suburbs of large cities. And, many of these hotels are bookable for relatively few points. Here’s a roundup of some attractive suburban IHG hotels bookable for 10,000 points per night on every date I checked:
- Boise, Idaho: Candlewood Suites Boise – Towne Square (7 minutes from downtown)
- Fort Worth, Texas: Candlewood Suites Fort Worth/West (15 minutes from downtown)
- Houston, Texas: Candlewood SuitesHouston I-10 East (14 minutes from downtown), Candlewood Suites Houston Westchase – Westheimer (21 minutes from downtown), Candlewood Suites La Porte (33 minutes from downtown), Candlewood Suites Houston CityCentre I-10 West (16 minutes from downtown, but this hotel will leave the IHG Rewards Club program on Dec. 1, 2020)
- Indianapolis, Indiana: Candlewood Suites Indianapolis Northwest (20 minutes from downtown)
- Jacksonville, Florida: Candlewood Suites Jacksonville East Merril Road (12 minutes from downtown)
- Kansas City, Missouri: Candlewood Suites Olathe – Kansas City Area (29 minutes from downtown)
- Lafayette, Louisiana: Candlewood Suites Lafayette (15 minutes from downtown)
- Memphis, Tennessee: Candlewood Suites Olive Branch Memphis Area (32 minutes from downtown)
- Milwaukee, Wisconsin: Candlewood Suites Milwaukee Brown Deer (20 minutes from downtown)
- Montgomery, Alabama: Candlewood Suites Eastchase Park (15 minutes from downtown)
- Richmond, Virginia: Candlewood Suites Richmond West End Short Pump (18 minutes from downtown), Candlewood Suites Richmond-South (11 minutes from downtown), Candlewood Suites Richmond North-Glen Allen (17 minutes from downtown), Candlewood Suites Richmond Airport (12 minutes from downtown)
- San Antonio, Texas: Candlewood Suites San Antonio NW near SeaWorld (26 minutes from downtown)
- Springfield, Illinois: Candlewood Suites Springfield (9 minutes from downtown)
- Syracuse, New York: Candlewood Suites East Syracuse – Carrier Circle (12 minutes from downtown)
- Topeka, Kansas: Candlewood Suites Topeka West (11 minutes from downtown)
- Tulsa, Oklahoma: Candlewood Suites Tulsa (20 minutes from downtown), Candlewood Suites Owasso (22 minutes from downtown)
- Wichita, Kansas: Candlewood Suites Wichita-Airport (12 minutes from downtown, but this hotel will leave the IHG Rewards Club program on Dec. 1, 2020), Candlewood Suites Wichita-Northeast (15 minutes from downtown, but this hotel will leave the IHG Rewards Club program on Dec. 1, 2020)
You can also find hotels in some large cities bookable for 10,000 points on select nights. For example, the Candlewood Suites San Antonio Downtown is bookable for 10,000 points per night on most nights through the end of 2020.
Likewise, some Staybridge Suites, Holiday Inn Express and Hotel Indigo properties are bookable in large cities for 15,000 points or less on select nights. For example, the Hotel Indigo San Antonio-Riverwalk is bookable for 15,000 to 20,000 points most nights through the end of the year. So, it’s worth checking reward night rates if you’re planning a city trip this fall or winter.
Most of the properties highlighted in this guide are Candlewood Suites. Luckily, I generally enjoy staying with the Candlewood Suites brand. After all, Candlewood Suites rooms usually have extra space to work and relax, along with a kitchen. And, onsite washers and dryers that are free of charge make doing laundry easy. So, although Candlewood Suites aren’t luxurious, they’re practical and tend to provide great value for your points.
If you also want to stretch your points with other hotel loyalty programs, be sure to check out my guides to the best U.S. Category 1 Hyatt hotels and best Hilton hotels in the U.S. bookable for 20,000 points. And, if you like the Marriott Bonvoy program, check out my guide on how to get up to 25 award nights from 100,000 Marriott points. Finally, once you’re ready to travel internationally again, take a look at the best international IHG hotels bookable for 10,000 points, top international Hilton hotels bookable for 10,000 points and best international Category 1 Hyatt hotels.
Featured photo by fstop123/Getty Images.
Welcome to The Points Guy!
With this card you'll get IHG Rewards Platinum Elite status and $0 Introductory Annual Fee for the first year, thereafter $89.
- Earn 140,000 bonus points after spending $3,000 on purchases within the first three months of account opening
- Enjoy a Reward Night after each account anniversary year at eligible IHG hotels worldwide. Plus, enjoy a reward night when you redeem points for any stay of 4 or more nights
- Earn up to 25 points total per $1 spent when you stay at an IHG hotel
- Earn 2 points per $1 spent on purchases at gas stations, grocery stores, and restaurants. Earn 1 point per $1 spent on all other purchases
- Platinum Elite status as long as you remain a Premier card member
- Global Entry or TSA Pre✓® Fee Credit of up to $100 every 4 years as reimbursement for the application fee charged to your card
- IHG Rewards Club Bonus points are redeemable at hotels such as InterContinental®, Crowne Plaza®, Kimpton®, EVEN® Hotels, Indigo® Hotels & Holiday Inn®