This post contains references to products from one or more of our advertisers. We may receive compensation when you click on links to those products. For an explanation of our Advertising Policy, visit this page.
When Amex redesigned the American Express® Gold Card, it raised the annual fee from $195 (waived for the first year) to $250 (not waived for the first year) (See Rates & Fees). To take the sting out of this price increase, Amex added new 4x bonus categories at US restaurants and US supermarkets (up to $25,000 a year; then 1x), and a $120 annual dining credit.
Similar to the Uber credit you’ll find on the Platinum Card® from American Express, this dining credit isn’t awarded all at once. Rather, it breaks down to a $10 a month statement credit at the following merchants: Grubhub, Seamless, The Cheesecake Factory, Ruth’s Chris Steak House and participating Shake Shack locations. It’s important to note that this credit isn’t automatically applied, and you’ll need to activate it online before you can use it. Today we’ll walk through the very simple steps you need to enroll in the Amex Gold Card dining credit.
Enroll Your Card in 5 Clicks or Less
Once you’ve logged in to your Amex account, you’ll need to make sure you’ve selected your Gold card. You can see the rose-gold icon in the top right corner, which is how I know I’m in the right spot. Then click, on “more” and “benefits” and you’ll be redirected to a page with all the perks and benefits of your Gold card.
The first benefit you see listed should be the $120 dining credit. If not, simply scroll down the page until you find it.
As you can see, I’ve already enrolled for this benefit, but since I live outside the US I’m not able to take advantage of it. If you haven’t enrolled yet, simply click on “learn more” and you’ll be prompted to enroll on the next screen.
Note the terms and conditions of this benefit, which explicitly exclude gift cards and merchandise purchases. The process described here should take no more than 5 minutes to complete, but you can try enrolling by chatting with an Amex agent online or on mobile, or by calling in.
With premium and mid-tier credit cards, annual statement credits such as this are one of the easiest ways to offset and justify hefty annual fees. Amex isn’t playing any tricks here, but you should be aware that this benefit won’t be automatically applied unless you spend the five minutes enrolling in it. Don’t leave money on the table, if you haven’t already done so, make sure to enroll your Amex Gold Card to receive your $120 annual dining credit.
For rates and fees of the Amex Gold Card, please click here.
Know before you go.
News and deals straight to your inbox every day.
With some great bonus categories, the American Express Gold Card has a lot going for it. The card offers 4x points at US restaurants, at US supermarkets (up to $25,000; then 1x), and 3x points on flights booked directly with airlines or through amextravel.com. It is currently offering a welcome bonus of 35,000 bonus points after you spend $2,000 in the first three months.
- Earn 35,000 Membership Rewards® Points after you spend $2,000 on eligible purchases with your new Card within the first 3 months.
- Earn 4X Membership Rewards® points at U.S. restaurants. Earn 4X Membership Rewards® points at U.S. supermarkets (on up to $25,000 per year in purchases, then 1X).
- Earn 3X Membership Rewards® points on flights booked directly with airlines or on amextravel.com.
- Earn up to $10 in statement credits monthly when you pay with The Gold Card at Grubhub, Seamless, The Cheesecake Factory, Shake Shack, and Ruth's Chris Steak House. This is an annual savings of up to $120. Enrollment required.
- $100 Airline Fee Credit: up to $100 in statement credits per calendar year for incidental fees at one selected qualifying airline.
- Choose to carry a balance with interest on eligible charges of $100 or more.
- No Foreign Transaction Fees.
- Annual Fee is $250.
- Terms apply.
- See Rates & Fees