How to register for the Amex Gold dining credit
This post contains references to products from one or more of our advertisers. We may receive compensation when you click on links to those products. Terms apply to the offers listed on this page. For an explanation of our Advertising Policy, visit this page.
The American Express® Gold Card was seemingly made for people who live to eat.
Not only does it earn 4x Membership Rewards points on worldwide dining and U.S. supermarkets (up to $25,000 in purchases per calendar year, then 1x), but it also comes with an up to $120 annual dining statement credit. This is in addition to the up to $100 airline fee credit — perks that, together, effectively lower the $250 annual fee (see rates and fees) to only $30.
For more TPG news delivered each morning to your inbox, sign up for our daily newsletter.
The dining statement credit works at the following merchants: Grubhub, Seamless, The Cheesecake Factory, Ruth’s Chris Steak House and participating Shake Shack locations. It’s not automatically applied though, so you’ll need to activate it online before you can take advantage. We’ll walk you through the process.
Enroll your card in 5 clicks or less
Once you’ve logged in to your Amex account, select your Gold card in the top right-hand corner. Then, select “Benefits” on the top bar.
From there, you’ll see the up to $120 dining credit benefit on the first column to the left. If not, just scroll down until you do. The credit is distributed as up to $10 statement credits per month, so you’ll want to make sure you’re ordering from a participating merchant at least once a month to take full advantage of this benefit.
As you’ll see here, I’ve already enrolled in this benefit. If you haven’t, simply click on “Learn More” and you’ll be prompted to enroll on the next screen.
It’s worth noting that the terms and conditions explicitly exclude gift cards and merchandise purchases. Enrolling in this valuable benefit online should only take you about five minutes or less to complete, but you can also enroll by chatting with an Amex agent online, on the app or by calling customer service.
If you regularly dine at one of the aforementioned restaurants or use delivery services such as Grubhub or Seamless, having this card in your wallet makes a lot of sense. Just be sure you’re not leaving money on the table — enroll your Amex Gold Card now so you don’t miss out.
Featured photo by The Points Guy
For rates and fees of the Amex Gold Card, please click here.
Welcome to The Points Guy!
With some great bonus categories, the American Express Gold Card has a lot going for it. The card offers 4x points at restaurants worldwide, at U.S. supermarkets (up to $25,000 per calendar year; then 1x), and 3x points on flights booked directly with airlines or through amextravel.com.
- Earn 60,000 Membership Rewards® points after you spend $4,000 on eligible purchases with your new Card within the first 6 months.
- Earn 4X Membership Rewards® Points on Restaurants worldwide, including takeout and delivery.
- Earn 4X Membership Rewards® points at U.S. supermarkets (on up to $25,000 per calendar year in purchases, then 1X).
- Earn 3X Membership Rewards® points on flights booked directly with airlines or on amextravel.com.
- $120 Dining Credit: Earn up to a total of $10 in statement credits monthly when you pay with the Gold Card at Grubhub, Seamless, The Cheesecake Factory, Ruth's Chris Steak House, Boxed, and participating Shake Shack locations. This can be an annual savings of up to $120. Enrollment required.
- $100 Airline Fee Credit: up to $100 in statement credits per calendar year for incidental fees at one selected qualifying airline.
- No Foreign Transaction Fees.
- Annual Fee is $250.
- Terms Apply.
- See Rates & Fees