6 passport mistakes that could leave you stranded at the border

Dec 24, 2019

This post contains references to products from one or more of our advertisers. We may receive compensation when you click on links to those products. Terms apply to the offers listed on this page. For an explanation of our Advertising Policy, visit this page.

Getting stuck abroad is anything but a permanent vacation. If you’ve ever had your passport stolen, run out of passport pages or had your documentation expire while abroad, you know how hard it can be to set things right and get home with the proper paperwork.

We recently asked the members of the TPG Lounge to share their passport-related travel nightmares, which included misunderstanding the acceptable occasions for a passport card. (Spoiler: If you’re flying internationally, it’s never OK.)

To make sure you never get stranded on an international border, we spoke with a U.S. Department of State official who gave us some insight into what to do if one of these unfortunate travel scenarios appears, regrettably, on your itinerary. Here’s what to keep in mind.

Photo by Agus Dietrich/Unsplash
Don’t lose your passport! (Photo by Agus Dietrich/Unsplash.)

Your passport or visa expired

Most destinations require your passport to be valid for at least six months after you return home to avoid this kind of situation. Note that there are a number of countries that consider passports acceptable with just three months or less of remaining validity, but six months is always safe.

And what happens if you have a valid visa in an expired passport? You’ll have to apply for a new visa, or bring both your current and previous passport.

The State Department official we spoke with explained that as long as your visa is still valid, not damaged and is the “appropriate type of visa required for your principal purpose of travel,” you can travel with two passports, and won’t need to reapply for the visa. “Do not try to remove the visa from your old passport and stick it into the new valid passport. If you do so, your visa will no longer be valid,” the official said.

But with this and any other scenario described in this article, it’s important to always double-check the requirements for your country of origin and arrival, so you’re informed about any nation-specific rules or requirements.

A member of the Lounge was almost denied entry due to confusion about the date format. Different countries do write dates differently, so if someone believes your visa or passport is expired (or will be), don’t panic. There’s a chance it’s all a misunderstanding.

Your passport or visa was stolen

Unfortunately, this happens — and it happens a lot. If you find yourself the victim of a passport thief, there are a few things you can do.

“Travelers should contact the nearest U.S. embassy or consulate for assistance in replacing your lost passport,” the State Department representative told TPG. “Ask to speak to the consular section to report your passport lost or stolen and to make an appointment for replacing your passport. The consular section may also provide information on how to get a replacement foreign visa.”

You can also apply for a new passport if you have a trip on the horizon. Appointments for obtaining new documentation pre-trip are based on need, so if you’re more than three weeks out from your travels, you may have to wait a while. You know those photocopies everyone’s always telling you to make of your passport and visas? Those copies are “helpful, but not necessary,” the official said. And they can’t stand in as a makeshift passport to get you back home.

You’re being detained abroad

If you’re being held in a foreign country because you don’t have the correct paperwork to be there or continue with your travels, ask for the authorities to notify the U.S. embassy or consulate. “In a foreign country, U.S. citizens are subject to that country’s laws, even if they differ from those in the United States,” the State Department official said.

If you find yourself in need of a lawyer for any scenario, search “U.S. Citizens Services” under the embassy or consulate’s website for a list of local attorneys who can help you through your situation.

Don’t remove a visa from your passport. (Photo by Diamon Eklund/Flickr.)

Your passport doesn’t have enough blank pages

File this under “one of those nit-picky things you never check.” Visa pages cannot be added to a passport, according to the State Department, so for most destinations, you’ll be required to have at least two blank passport pages before you’re allowed in the country, but this varies based on where you’re going. You can check out the requirements for your destination here.

“I didn’t get turned away,” Ivan B. told the TPG Lounge, “but I was warned once about [not having] visa pages left, and told I would be turned away for sure next time.” Many other readers reported issues, especially in South Africa, with not having enough blank pages in their passport. Do yourself a favor and double-check well in advance of your trip.

In addition to making sure your passport has two blank pages (and not the last two pages of a U.S. passport, which don’t qualify as visa pages) note that some countries require those pages to be consecutive.

Manage to get to your destination and find yourself stuck at the border without enough blank pages? The State Department directs travelers to contact the nearest U.S. embassy or consulate.

You have previous arrests on your record

OK, so this one doesn’t have to do with your passport, specifically, but it is a good-to-know lesson for a very nearby border crossing.

According to U.S. Customs and Border Protection, “Anyone with a criminal record — including misdemeanors or alcohol-related driving offense — may not be able to enter Canada …” These crimes include reckless driving, theft, driving under the influence of drugs or alcohol or possession of a controlled substance.

The State Department official said that entry to Canada is determined entirely by Canada Border Services Agency (CBSA) officials. If you are concerned about being denied entry, you can “convince an immigration officer” that you have been rehabilitated (which, in this context, means waiting until enough time has passed, between five and 10 years depending on the offense) or request a record suspension.

If this sounds farfetched, well, it’s not. According to one TPG reader, his friend was turned away by CBSA officials because of a misdemeanor on his record from a few years prior. The crime? Stealing a toothbrush from a gas station in New Jersey. While his friends spent the day in Vancouver, he was forced to wait at a McDonald’s on the border for over 10 hours.

You only have a passport card

A passport card is valid documentation in some situations. If you’re entering the U.S. by car or cruise ship from Bermuda, the Caribbean, Mexico or Canada, you’re in luck. But those are the only scenarios where a passport card will work. Make sure you have a valid passport book (with enough blank pages!) on hand for travels anywhere else in the world.

Passport cards also do not work for any kind of international air travel. The good news is, you won’t get too far from home if you’re flying to one of the aforementioned countries; you’re going to need a passport book for that.

No one ever expects to run into one of these situations. The best thing you can do is research your destination’s documentation requirements far ahead of your travels. And check that passport for blank pages. Seriously.

Featured photo by Nicole Harrington/Unsplash

Chase Sapphire Preferred® Card

WELCOME OFFER: 80,000 Points


CARD HIGHLIGHTS: 2X points on all travel and dining, points transferrable to over a dozen travel partners

*Bonus value is an estimated value calculated by TPG and not the card issuer. View our latest valuations here.

Apply Now
More Things to Know
  • Earn 80,000 bonus points after you spend $4,000 on purchases in the first 3 months from account opening. That's $1,000 when you redeem through Chase Ultimate Rewards®. Plus earn up to $50 in statement credits towards grocery store purchases within your first year of account opening.
  • Earn 2X points on dining including eligible delivery services, takeout and dining out and travel. Plus, earn 1 point per dollar spent on all other purchases.
  • Get 25% more value when you redeem for airfare, hotels, car rentals and cruises through Chase Ultimate Rewards®. For example, 80,000 points are worth $1,000 toward travel.
  • With Pay Yourself Back℠, your points are worth 25% more during the current offer when you redeem them for statement credits against existing purchases in select, rotating categories.
  • Get unlimited deliveries with a $0 delivery fee and reduced service fees on eligible orders over $12 for a minimum of one year with DashPass, DoorDash's subscription service. Activate by 12/31/21.
  • Count on Trip Cancellation/Interruption Insurance, Auto Rental Collision Damage Waiver, Lost Luggage Insurance and more.
  • Get up to $60 back on an eligible Peloton Digital or All-Access Membership through 12/31/2021, and get full access to their workout library through the Peloton app, including cardio, running, strength, yoga, and more. Take classes using a phone, tablet, or TV. No fitness equipment is required.
Regular APR
15.99%-22.99% Variable
Annual Fee
Balance Transfer Fee
Either $5 or 5% of the amount of each transfer, whichever is greater.
Recommended Credit

Editorial Disclaimer: Opinions expressed here are the author’s alone, not those of any bank, credit card issuer, airlines or hotel chain, and have not been reviewed, approved or otherwise endorsed by any of these entities.

Disclaimer: The responses below are not provided or commissioned by the bank advertiser. Responses have not been reviewed, approved or otherwise endorsed by the bank advertiser. It is not the bank advertiser’s responsibility to ensure all posts and/or questions are answered.