You Might Be Able to Get 2 US Passports — Here’s How
This post contains references to products from one or more of our advertisers. We may receive compensation when you click on links to those products. Terms apply to the offers listed on this page. For an explanation of our Advertising Policy, visit this page.
Although it’s not widely publicized, it is possible to get two US passports. Not everyone, however, can do so — and the perk of a second passport is limited to pretty specific situations.
You can only get a second US passport if:
- You have more than one international trip coming up and you need to get visas, meaning your current passport will be out of your possession for some time.
- You have stamps in your passport that may result in denied entry to another country (e.g., an Israeli stamp in some countries).
- If you can prove your job requires you to travel frequently. Flight attendants, pilots and journalists covering foreign news, for example, likely qualify for a second passport.
To apply, you’ll need all the same paperwork required for a passport renewal or replacement:
- Two passport photos that are distinctly different from those in your first passport.
- Your original passport.
- Completed DS-82 passport form (the same form you’d use to renew).
- $110 fee, or $170 if you need it expedited.
- A letter clearly explaining why you need a second passport.
- Proof of reason you need the second passport (e.g., copies of your flight itineraries or the problematic passport stamp).
- Another form of government-issued ID, such as a driver’s license.
Like with a passport renewal, travelers can apply for a second passport via mail, a post office or designated application center, or through a passport agency. The latter, however, can only be utilized in situations where the second passport needs to be expedited (think: same-day service).
TPG himself, Brian Kelly, recently got a second passport because he needed to apply for a visa while traveling elsewhere at the same time — and it’s been a great help to have the two. He used external passport and visa service agency Allied Passport and Visa to make the procedure less of a hassle. If you mention The Points Guy on your order form, you’ll get an exclusive $5 discount just for TPG readers.
Keep in mind, there’s no guarantee you’ll get a second passport, and your application may be denied. If you are approved, your second passport will only be valid for four years (it used to be two), whereas your original passport is valid for 10 years. Your second passport will also have a different number from your original passport, and cannot be renewed.
If you have Global Entry linked to your primary passport, you can change it to link it to your second, four year passport in your Trusted Traveler account. Simply log in and, in the Update Documents section, replace your primary passport info with your secondary. Just remember, if you travel again later using your primary passport you’ll have to change it back. If you’d like to have both passports saved in your account, you’ll need to visit a Global Entry Enrollment Center for assistance.
Welcome to The Points Guy!
Earn 50,000 bonus miles and 5,000 Medallion® Qualification Miles (MQMs) after you spend $2,000 in purchases on your new card in the first three months of card membership. Plus, earn up to $100 back in statement credits for eligible purchases at U.S. restaurants in the first three months of card membership.
With Status Boost™, earn 10,000 Medallion Qualification Miles (MQMs) after you spend $25,000 in purchases on your Card in a calendar year, up to two times per year getting you closer to Medallion Status. Earn 3X Miles on Delta purchases and purchases made directly with hotels, 2X Miles at restaurants and at U.S. supermarkets and earn 1X Mile on all other eligible purchases. Terms Apply.
- Earn 50,000 Bonus Miles and 5,000 Medallion® Qualification Miles (MQMs) after you spend $2,000 in purchases on your new Card in your first 3 months.
- Plus, earn up to $100 back in statement credits for eligible purchases at U.S. restaurants with your card within the first 3 months of membership.
- Earn up to 20,000 Medallion® Qualification Miles (MQMs) with Status Boost® per year. After you spend $25,000 in purchases on your Card in a calendar year, you can earn 10,000 MQMs two times per year, getting you closer to Medallion® Status. MQMs are used to determine Medallion® Status and are different than miles you earn toward flights.
- Earn 3X Miles on Delta purchases and purchases made directly with hotels.
- Earn 2X Miles at restaurants worldwide, including takeout and delivery and at U.S. supermarkets.
- Earn 1X Miles on all other eligible purchases.
- Receive a Domestic Main Cabin round-trip companion certificate each year upon renewal of your Card. *Payment of the government imposed taxes and fees of no more than $75 for roundtrip domestic flights (for itineraries with up to four flight segments) is required. Baggage charges and other restrictions apply. See terms and conditions for details.
- Enjoy your first checked bag free on Delta flights.
- Fee Credit for Global Entry or TSA Pre✓®.
- Enjoy an exclusive rate of $39 per person per visit to enter the Delta Sky Club® for you and up to two guests when traveling on a Delta flight.
- No Foreign Transaction Fees.
- $250 Annual Fee.
- Terms Apply.
- See Rates & Fees