Discover Is More Widely Accepted Than You Might Think
This post contains references to products from one or more of our advertisers. We may receive compensation when you click on links to those products. Terms apply to the offers listed on this page. For an explanation of our Advertising Policy, visit this page.
This page includes information about Discover products that are not currently available on The Points Guy and may be out of date.
To paraphrase another issuer’s old tagline: Discover card, don’t leave the US with it. At least, that’s been the knock on Discover, even as it promotes no foreign transaction fees on cards like the Discover it Miles. That benefit does little good if no foreign merchant will accept the card.
But the reality is that Discover is actually accepted at more 30 million foreign merchants across 190 countries and territories — outside of the US. As you pack your wallet on your next international trip, it may help to note that Discover has established network alliances across the globe, including relationships in China, Japan, Korea, India, Brazil, Turkey, Nigeria and throughout Europe. In September 2018, Discover announced yet another alliance to expand acceptance in Mexico. Discover, Diners Club International, PULSE and network affiliate cards are now accepted on Prosa’s network in Mexico at both point-of-sale and ATM locations.
That doesn’t mean Discover can be used everywhere within the countries which it has agreements, just as the issuer isn’t accepted everywhere in the US. Still, in 2015, according to some studies, Discover actually became one of the most widely accepted payment card globally. In the US, it has the third highest acceptance rate among card networks, beating out American Express.
If you do travel with the card, just be aware there are still some some gaps in coverage. The issuer has a handy tool you can use to see if the country you’re traveling to accepts Discover. The area with the least coverage is Africa, where Discover is accepted only in Botswana, Egypt, Kenya, Morocco, Rwanda and South Africa. It also has coverage gaps in the Middle East, but it is accepted in the United Arab Emirates.
Check the tool to see where Discover cards are accepted at merchants and ATMs. You typically can use your Discover card wherever you see the Discover or Diners Club International symbols displayed. Other foreign partners include Union Pay on mainland China and JCB in Japan.
You’ll, of course, want to bring at least one backup credit card with you on foreign trips — in case the shop where you found that adorable tchotchke only accepts Visa. While you’re at it, I’d pack some local currency too, just to be extra safe.
Featured image by Caiaimage/Chris Ryan / Getty Images
Welcome to The Points Guy!
WELCOME OFFER: 80,000 Points
TPG'S BONUS VALUATION*: $1,650
CARD HIGHLIGHTS: 2X points on all travel and dining, points transferrable to over a dozen travel partners
*Bonus value is an estimated value calculated by TPG and not the card issuer. View our latest valuations here.
- Earn 80,000 bonus points after you spend $4,000 on purchases in the first 3 months from account opening. That's $1,000 when you redeem through Chase Ultimate Rewards®. Plus earn up to $50 in statement credits towards grocery store purchases within your first year of account opening.
- Earn 2X points on dining including eligible delivery services, takeout and dining out and travel. Plus, earn 1 point per dollar spent on all other purchases.
- Get 25% more value when you redeem for airfare, hotels, car rentals and cruises through Chase Ultimate Rewards®. For example, 80,000 points are worth $1,000 toward travel.
- With Pay Yourself Back℠, your points are worth 25% more during the current offer when you redeem them for statement credits against existing purchases in select, rotating categories.
- Get unlimited deliveries with a $0 delivery fee and reduced service fees on eligible orders over $12 for a minimum of one year with DashPass, DoorDash's subscription service. Activate by 12/31/21.
- Count on Trip Cancellation/Interruption Insurance, Auto Rental Collision Damage Waiver, Lost Luggage Insurance and more.
- Get up to $60 back on an eligible Peloton Digital or All-Access Membership through 12/31/2021, and get full access to their workout library through the Peloton app, including cardio, running, strength, yoga, and more. Take classes using a phone, tablet, or TV. No fitness equipment is required.