Why These Are the Only Travel Shoes I Pack for My Kids
This post contains references to products from one or more of our advertisers. We may receive compensation when you click on links to those products. Terms apply to the offers listed on this page. For an explanation of our Advertising Policy, visit this page.
Dedicating an entire travel story to a pair of kids shoes may seem excessive. But, if you have ever traveled in the wrong shoes — or worse — had your kids travel in the wrong shoes, it won’t seem excessive at all. Nothing stops the fun of exploration faster than a poorly placed blister on a little foot.
Usually a story about the best travel product in a particular category includes a round-up of top options, but in this case I have one clear all-around favorite. (And no, this is not sponsored in any way, I just love these shoes and want to shout the good news to other parents.)
Our favorite kids shoes for travel, once kids are in the toddling stage and above, are Native Jefferson shoes. (For the pre-toddle crew, I like Freshly Picked Mocs.) Native’s vegan-friendly shoes are extremely lightweight, comfortable, can be worn without socks, work in and out of water, are easy to clean, dry quickly and (knock on wood) have never caused a problem on my girls’ feet. Perhaps it’s because of the rubbery material and ample airflow in, but they generally don’t stink, either, even after being worn wet.
As you can probably see from the assortment of pictures, my kids have worn Native shoes from toddlerhood to the tween years, and from Hawaii to New York City to Disney World and back again. Unless we are heading to somewhere snowy, we almost never pack a second pair of kid shoes when we travel because there’s no need.
There are colors to fit all personalities ranging from Flamingo Pink, to Ultra Blue to Stars and Stripes and dozens more — including sparkles, if that’s your thing. Sizes range from a Toddler 4 to Junior 6, though not every single color combo comes in every size. There are other Native styles beyond the Jefferson that I can’t speak to from personal experience.
Every pair we’ve owned has held up well enough to be passed down to the next kid. However, if that doesn’t happen for you, there’s a way to recycle your Natives shoes.
While some colors do occasionally go on sale, prices typically hover in the $35 to $40 price range. You can find Native Jefferson shoes on a number of sites including Nordstrom, Zappos and Amazon. (Be sure and make your purchase through a shopping portal, when possible, to rack up miles.) Half-sizes aren’t available, so sometimes it can be tough to get the right fit when your kid is smack between whole sizes. The good news is that even when the shoes have been a touch tight or a touch big, they’ve still worked just fine for us.
If you want comfy feet, easy-to-clean shoes and a streamlined packing experience, I can’t recommend Native Jefferson shoes enough for kids on the go. They are, by far, my favorite kids shoe for travel and virtually the only shoes we pack these days. (And yes, they also come in adult sizes, though I can’t vouch for wearing them as a grown-up.)
I’d love to hear if your family has a favorite shoe for your kids when you hit the road, too, so sound off in the comments below!
- The Ultimate Travel Stroller
- Best Travel Gear for Kids
- Kid Airline Seat Extenders
- Review of the Kid’s Away Carry-On Bag
- Making Family Travel Easier With Car Seats and Strollers
All photos by author.
Welcome to The Points Guy!
Earn 90,000 bonus miles after you spend $3,000 in purchases on your new Card in your first 3 months. Offer ends 8/3/2022.
With Status Boost™, earn 10,000 Medallion Qualification Miles (MQMs) after you spend $25,000 in purchases on your Card in a calendar year, up to two times per year getting you closer to Medallion Status. Earn 3X Miles on Delta purchases and purchases made directly with hotels, 2X Miles at restaurants and at U.S. supermarkets and earn 1X Mile on all other eligible purchases. Terms Apply.
- Limited Time Offer: Earn 90,000 bonus miles after you spend $3,000 in purchases on your new Card in your first 3 months. Offer ends 8/3/2022.
- Earn up to 20,000 Medallion® Qualification Miles (MQMs) with Status Boost® per year. After you spend $25,000 in purchases on your Card in a calendar year, you can earn 10,000 MQMs up to two times per year, getting you closer to Medallion® Status. MQMs are used to determine Medallion® Status and are different than miles you earn toward flights.
- Earn 3X Miles on Delta purchases and purchases made directly with hotels.
- Earn 2X Miles at restaurants worldwide including takeout and delivery in the U.S., and at U.S. supermarkets.
- Earn 1X Miles on all other eligible purchases.
- Receive a Domestic Main Cabin round-trip companion certificate each year upon renewal of your Card. Payment of the government imposed taxes and fees of no more than $80 for roundtrip domestic flights (for itineraries with up to four flight segments) is required. Baggage charges and other restrictions apply. See terms and conditions for details.
- Enjoy your first checked bag free on Delta flights.
- Fee Credit for Global Entry or TSA PreCheck® after you apply through any Authorized Enrollment Provider. If approved for Global Entry, at no additional charge, you will receive access to TSA PreCheck.
- Enjoy an exclusive rate of $39 per person per visit to enter the Delta Sky Club® for you and up to two guests when traveling on a Delta flight.
- No Foreign Transaction Fees.
- $250 Annual Fee.
- Terms Apply.
- See Rates & Fees