Comparing the Apple Card to the Barclaycard Visa With Apple Rewards
This post contains references to products from one or more of our advertisers. We may receive compensation when you click on links to those products. Terms apply to the offers listed on this page. For an explanation of our Advertising Policy, visit this page.
With Apple Card set to open to applicants in summer 2019, we compared it to several of our favorite no annual fee cash-back cards. But for individuals who make frequent Apple purchases, there’s actually already a credit card out there catering to you: the Barclaycard Visa with Apple Rewards.
Is it worth waiting for Apple’s own credit card, or is this existing card superior? We’ll analyze the perks of each below.
|Card||Annual Fee||Earning Overview||0% Intro APR||Foreign-Transaction Fee||Other Perks|
||N/A (13.24% to 24.24% variable APR from open)||None||Elevated privacy and theft protections (no physical card number)
Titanium card design
|The Barclaycard Visa with Apple Rewards||None||
||N/A (16.24%, 22.24% or 28.99% variable APR based on your creditworthiness from open)||3%||ID theft protection|
Which Apple credit card is better?
The forthcoming Apple Card is the superior product, hands-down. The deal-breaker for the Barclaycard Visa with Apple Rewards is the inflexibility of its earning structure. While it may seem alluring to earn points rather than cash back, this particular card does not allow transfers to hotel and airline partners.
Rather, the points are automatically redeemed in the form of either Apple Store or App Store/iTunes gift cards. 2,500 points equals a $25 gift card, 5,000 points equals a $50 gift card or 10,000 points equals a $100 gift card. There’s no way to request that your points be given back in the form of cash, either.
Apple Card, on the other hand, credits your earnings back as cash that can be spent shortly after it’s earned. 3% back on Apple purchases is much more flexible in the form of cash versus an Apple gift card. To boot, the Apple Card has no foreign-transaction fees, which can really add up on even a short international jaunt.
While Apple Card doesn’t have the 2% back on restaurant purchases, you can overcome that by adding the Capital One SavorOne Cash Rewards Credit Card to your wallet, which has no annual fee and earns 3% cash back on dining, entertainment, popular streaming services and grocery stores (excluding superstores like Walmart® and Target®).
The information for the Apple Card has been collected independently by The Points Guy. The card details on this page have not been reviewed or provided by the card issuer.
Many consumers weren’t aware that an Apple-centric credit card from Barclaycard already existed, but even if you make routine purchases from Apple, you’re better off waiting for Apple Card or looking at select cards that have an annual fee yet offer superior earning rates from the retailer. With an inflexible redemption structure that forces you to accept your earnings in the form of Apple or iTunes gift cards, the Barclaycard Visa with Apple Rewards could very well be phased out after Apple Card opens for applications.
For the latest travel news, deals and points and miles tips please subscribe to The Points Guy daily email newsletter.
Welcome to The Points Guy!
Earn 90,000 bonus miles after you spend $3,000 in purchases within the first three months of card membership. Plus, earn a $200 statement credit after your first Delta purchase within the first three months. Offer ends 7/28/21.
With Status Boost™, earn 10,000 Medallion Qualification Miles (MQMs) after you spend $25,000 in purchases on your Card in a calendar year, up to two times per year getting you closer to Medallion Status. Earn 3X Miles on Delta purchases and purchases made directly with hotels, 2X Miles at restaurants and at U.S. supermarkets and earn 1X Mile on all other eligible purchases. Terms Apply.
- Limited Time Offer: Earn 90,000 Bonus Miles after spending $3,000 in purchases on your new Card in your first 3 months and a $200 statement credit after you make a Delta purchase with your new Card within your first 3 months. Offer expires 7/28/2021.
- Limited Time Offer: Plus, get a 0% intro APR on purchases for 12 months from the date of account opening, then a variable 15.74%-24.74%. Offer expires 7/28/2021.
- Accelerate your path to Medallion Status, with Status Boost®. Plus, in 2021 you can earn even more bonus Medallion® Qualification Miles (MQMs) to help you reach Medallion Status.
- Earn 3X Miles on Delta purchases and purchases made directly with hotels.
- Earn 2X Miles at restaurants worldwide, including takeout and delivery and at U.S. supermarkets.
- Receive a Domestic Main Cabin round-trip companion certificate each year upon renewal of your Card. *Payment of the government imposed taxes and fees of no more than $75 for roundtrip domestic flights (for itineraries with up to four flight segments) is required. Baggage charges and other restrictions apply. See terms and conditions for details.
- Enjoy your first checked bag free on Delta flights.
- Fee Credit for Global Entry or TSA Pre✓®.
- Enjoy an exclusive rate of $39 per person per visit to enter the Delta Sky Club® for you and up to two guests when traveling on a Delta flight.
- No Foreign Transaction Fees.
- $250 Annual Fee.
- Terms Apply.
- See Rates & Fees