Deal Alert: Visit Hong Kong and the Maldives for Under $600 Round-Trip
This post contains references to products from one or more of our advertisers. We may receive compensation when you click on links to those products. Terms apply to the offers listed on this page. For an explanation of our Advertising Policy, visit this page.
Airfare deals are typically only available on limited dates. We recommend you use Google Flights to find dates to fly, then book through an online travel agency such as Orbitz or Expedia, which allows you to cancel flights without penalty by 11pm Eastern Time within one day of booking. However, if you’re using The Platinum Card® from American Express, you’ll need to book directly with the airline or through the Amex Travel portal to get 5x MR points. Remember: Fares may disappear quickly, so book right away and take advantage of Orbitz or Expedia’s courtesy cancellation if you’re unable to get the time away from work or family.
If you scored one of those amazing Marriott sweet-spot redemptions at the St. Regis Maldives, you’ve probably been scouting the internet looking for a cheap way to get there. Well, here’s your lucky ticket — which was originally spotted by The Flight Deal. Even better, this great fare allows you to stop over in the wildly popular city of Hong Kong on your way to paradise.
Here are some tips on making the most of your stopover in Hong Kong. You’ll want to keep this Maldives points and miles strategy in mind for once you arrive at the exotic, pricy island destination of your dreams, including everything you need to know about seaplane transfers.
Do note that Hong Kong Airlines is in some financial trouble as of late, so you’ll definitely want to purchase your ticket and accommodation with a credit card that offers trip insurance.
Airline: Hong Kong Airlines
Routes: LAX/SFO to MLE via HKG
Cost: $598+ round-trip
Dates: select dates between October and November
Pay With: The Platinum Card® from American Express (5x on airfare booked directly with the airline), Citi Prestige Card (5x on airfare plus excellent trip delay insurance), Citi Premier® Card, Chase Sapphire Reserve, American Express® Gold Card (3x on airfare) or Chase Sapphire Preferred Card (2x on travel)
How to Book
Booking this particular flight is a little bit more tricky than the usual recommendation to search on Google Flights. Instead, you’ll need to use the ITA Matrix Airfare Search functionality itself — the tool on which Google Flights is built — to first find the flights you want, then separately book them via Priceline or Expedia. The Flight Deal gives a good rundown on how to do this. We were also able to replicate these bookings when searching for a multi-city trip through Hong Kong Airlines’ website.
Once the search tool expands, type in the following information:
Departing from: LAX
Outbound routing code field #1: hx hx
Outbound routing code field #2: minconnect 2880 (this will instruct the software to search flights with a minimum of 48 hours’ stopover in Hong Kong)
Return routing code field #1: hx hx
Return routing code field #2: maxconnect 240
Then select the option to “see calendar of lowest fares” and select whatever travel duration works for you, as well as a start date. I chose November 19 and a trip duration of 6-13 days (the tool will not allow you to search for a range wider than seven days).
Once you have your flight segments on the desired dates, open up a separate tab to access Priceline. Select the option for “multi-destination” travel, and enter the airport codes and dates from the ITA Matrix search.
On the next screen, you’ll see the cheapest flight option (still pricing at $662 at this point ):
The price point for a single traveler over Nov. 20 to Dec. 2 currently prices out at $598 for the full itinerary as of the time of this post, while two travelers are pricing out at $638 per person.
Here are a few examples of dates available at this price point:
Los Angeles (LAX) to Malé (MLE) for $598 round-trip via Hong Kong (HKG) over Thanksgiving via Priceline:
Los Angeles (LAX) to Malé (MLE) for $638 round-trip via Hong Kong (HKG) over Halloween via Priceline:
San Francisco (SFO) to Malé (MLE) for $662 round-trip via Hong Kong (HKG) in early October via Hong Kong Airlines:
Maximize Your Purchase
Don’t forget to use a credit card that earns additional points on airfare purchases, such as The Platinum Card® from American Express (5x on flights booked directly with airlines or American Express Travel), Citi Prestige Card (5x on airfare on plus excellent trip delay insurance), Chase Sapphire Reserve, American Express® Gold Card, Citi Premier® Card (3x on airfare) or the Chase Sapphire Preferred Card (2x on all travel purchases). Check out this post for more on maximizing airfare purchases.
For more TPG news delivered each morning to your inbox, sign up for our daily newsletter here: https://thepointsguy.com/mailing-list/
Featured image by Ethan Steinberg / The Points Guy.
H/T: The Flight Deal
Welcome to The Points Guy!
WELCOME OFFER: 80,000 Points
TPG'S BONUS VALUATION*: $1,650
CARD HIGHLIGHTS: 2X points on all travel and dining, points transferrable to over a dozen travel partners
*Bonus value is an estimated value calculated by TPG and not the card issuer. View our latest valuations here.
- Earn 80,000 bonus points after you spend $4,000 on purchases in the first 3 months from account opening. That's $1,000 when you redeem through Chase Ultimate Rewards®. Plus earn up to $50 in statement credits towards grocery store purchases within your first year of account opening.
- Earn 2X points on dining including eligible delivery services, takeout and dining out and travel. Plus, earn 1 point per dollar spent on all other purchases.
- Get 25% more value when you redeem for airfare, hotels, car rentals and cruises through Chase Ultimate Rewards®. For example, 80,000 points are worth $1,000 toward travel.
- With Pay Yourself Back℠, your points are worth 25% more during the current offer when you redeem them for statement credits against existing purchases in select, rotating categories.
- Get unlimited deliveries with a $0 delivery fee and reduced service fees on eligible orders over $12 for a minimum of one year with DashPass, DoorDash's subscription service. Activate by 12/31/21.
- Count on Trip Cancellation/Interruption Insurance, Auto Rental Collision Damage Waiver, Lost Luggage Insurance and more.
- Get up to $60 back on an eligible Peloton Digital or All-Access Membership through 12/31/2021, and get full access to their workout library through the Peloton app, including cardio, running, strength, yoga, and more. Take classes using a phone, tablet, or TV. No fitness equipment is required.