Deal Alert: Visit Hong Kong and the Maldives for Under $600 Round-Trip
This post contains references to products from one or more of our advertisers. We may receive compensation when you click on links to those products. Terms apply to the offers listed on this page. For an explanation of our Advertising Policy, visit this page.
Airfare deals are typically only available on limited dates. We recommend you use Google Flights to find dates to fly, then book through an online travel agency such as Orbitz or Expedia, which allows you to cancel flights without penalty by 11pm Eastern Time within one day of booking. However, if you’re using The Platinum Card® from American Express, you’ll need to book directly with the airline or through the Amex Travel portal to get 5x MR points. Remember: Fares may disappear quickly, so book right away and take advantage of Orbitz or Expedia’s courtesy cancellation if you’re unable to get the time away from work or family.
If you scored one of those amazing Marriott sweet-spot redemptions at the St. Regis Maldives, you’ve probably been scouting the internet looking for a cheap way to get there. Well, here’s your lucky ticket — which was originally spotted by The Flight Deal. Even better, this great fare allows you to stop over in the wildly popular city of Hong Kong on your way to paradise.
Here are some tips on making the most of your stopover in Hong Kong. You’ll want to keep this Maldives points and miles strategy in mind for once you arrive at the exotic, pricy island destination of your dreams, including everything you need to know about seaplane transfers.
Do note that Hong Kong Airlines is in some financial trouble as of late, so you’ll definitely want to purchase your ticket and accommodation with a credit card that offers trip insurance.
Airline: Hong Kong Airlines
Routes: LAX/SFO to MLE via HKG
Cost: $598+ round-trip
Dates: select dates between October and November
Pay With: The Platinum Card® from American Express (5x on airfare booked directly with the airline), Citi Prestige Card (5x on airfare plus excellent trip delay insurance), Citi Premier® Card, Chase Sapphire Reserve, American Express® Gold Card (3x on airfare) or Chase Sapphire Preferred Card (2x on travel)
How to Book
Booking this particular flight is a little bit more tricky than the usual recommendation to search on Priceline or Expedia. The Flight Deal gives a good rundown on how to do this. We were also able to replicate these bookings when searching for a multi-city trip through Hong Kong Airlines’ website.
Once the search tool expands, type in the following information:
Departing from: LAX
Outbound routing code field #1: hx hx
Outbound routing code field #2: minconnect 2880 (this will instruct the software to search flights with a minimum of 48 hours’ stopover in Hong Kong)
Return routing code field #1: hx hx
Return routing code field #2: maxconnect 240
Then select the option to “see calendar of lowest fares” and select whatever travel duration works for you, as well as a start date. I chose November 19 and a trip duration of 6-13 days (the tool will not allow you to search for a range wider than seven days).
Once you have your flight segments on the desired dates, open up a separate tab to access Priceline. Select the option for “multi-destination” travel, and enter the airport codes and dates from the ITA Matrix search.
On the next screen, you’ll see the cheapest flight option (still pricing at $662 at this point ):
The price point for a single traveler over Nov. 20 to Dec. 2 currently prices out at $598 for the full itinerary as of the time of this post, while two travelers are pricing out at $638 per person.
Here are a few examples of dates available at this price point:
Los Angeles (LAX) to Malé (MLE) for $598 round-trip via Hong Kong (HKG) over Thanksgiving via Priceline:
Los Angeles (LAX) to Malé (MLE) for $638 round-trip via Hong Kong (HKG) over Halloween via Priceline:
San Francisco (SFO) to Malé (MLE) for $662 round-trip via Hong Kong (HKG) in early October via Hong Kong Airlines:
Maximize Your Purchase
Don’t forget to use a credit card that earns additional points on airfare purchases, such as The Platinum Card® from American Express (5x on flights booked directly with airlines or American Express Travel), Citi Prestige Card (5x on airfare on plus excellent trip delay insurance), Chase Sapphire Reserve, American Express® Gold Card, Citi Premier® Card (3x on airfare) or the Chase Sapphire Preferred Card (2x on all travel purchases). Check out this post for more on maximizing airfare purchases.
For more TPG news delivered each morning to your inbox, sign up for our daily newsletter here: https://thepointsguy.com/mailing-list//
Featured image by Ethan Steinberg / The Points Guy.
H/T: The Flight Deal
Welcome to The Points Guy!
Earn 90,000 bonus miles and 10,000 Medallion® Qualification Miles (MQMs) after you spend $3,000 in purchases on your new card in the first three months of card membership. Offer ends 11/10/2021.
With Status Boost™, earn 10,000 Medallion Qualification Miles (MQMs) after you spend $25,000 in purchases on your Card in a calendar year, up to two times per year getting you closer to Medallion Status. Earn 3X Miles on Delta purchases and purchases made directly with hotels, 2X Miles at restaurants and at U.S. supermarkets and earn 1X Mile on all other eligible purchases. Terms Apply.
- Limited Time Offer: Earn 90,000 Bonus Miles and 10,000 Medallion® Qualification Miles (MQMs) after you spend $3,000 in purchases on your new Card in your first 3 months. Offer expires 11/10/2021.
- Earn up to 20,000 Medallion® Qualification Miles (MQMs) with Status Boost® per year. After you spend $25,000 in purchases on your Card in a calendar year, you can earn 10,000 MQMs two times per year, getting you closer to Medallion® Status. MQMs are used to determine Medallion® Status and are different than miles you earn toward flights.
- Earn 3X Miles on Delta purchases and purchases made directly with hotels.
- Earn 2X Miles at restaurants worldwide, including takeout and delivery and at U.S. supermarkets.
- Earn 1X Miles on all other eligible purchases.
- Receive a Domestic Main Cabin round-trip companion certificate each year upon renewal of your Card. *Payment of the government imposed taxes and fees of no more than $75 for roundtrip domestic flights (for itineraries with up to four flight segments) is required. Baggage charges and other restrictions apply. See terms and conditions for details.
- Enjoy your first checked bag free on Delta flights.
- Fee Credit for Global Entry or TSA Pre✓®.
- Enjoy an exclusive rate of $39 per person per visit to enter the Delta Sky Club® for you and up to two guests when traveling on a Delta flight.
- No Foreign Transaction Fees.
- $250 Annual Fee.
- Terms Apply.
- See Rates & Fees