Deal Alert: Fly business class to Thailand for 70k miles one-way
This post contains references to products from one or more of our advertisers. We may receive compensation when you click on links to those products. Terms apply to the offers listed on this page. For an explanation of our Advertising Policy, visit this page.
American Airlines is currently offering flights for 70,000 miles one-way plus $21.20 added for taxes and fees or 140,000 miles with $42.40 in taxes and fees round-trip. The deal below includes the option for a multi-stop, one-way trip via an American Airlines flight booked on a Japan Airlines aircraft.
For more TPG news delivered each morning to your inbox, sign up for our daily newsletter.
Our friends at Thrifty Traveler let us know about the deals you can find to this notable Southeast Asian destination. Thailand has slowly been reopening several provinces through the Phuket Sandbox program. The county has announced plans to open several cities, including Bangkok and Chiang Mai, to vaccinated travelers on Nov. 1st. Travelers will need to take a COVID-19 test on arrival and again after six days.
The five-star experience via Japan Airlines includes priority boarding, checked bags, lie-flat seats, dine-on-demand food service, champagne, and lounge access as travelers make their way to Bangkok’s Suvarnabhumi Airport.
Airlines: American Airlines and Japan Airlines
Routes: Los Angeles (LAX), New York (JFK), Chicago (ORD), Cleveland (CLE), Nashville (BNA) and many more cities in the U.S. to Bangkok, Thailand (BKK).
Cost: 70,000 miles (+$21.20 in taxes and fees) for Business class one-way.
Dates: November 2021-June 2022
Pay with: The Platinum Card® from American Express for 5x on airfare booked directly with the airline or through American Express Travel (on up to $500,000 on these purchases per calendar year), the Citi Prestige® Card for 5x on airfare, the Citi Premier® Card, Citi® / AAdvantage® Executive World Elite Mastercard®, CitiBusiness® / AAdvantage® Platinum Select® Mastercard® or Chase Sapphire Reserve for 3x on air travel, the American Express® Gold Card for 3x on airfare when booked directly with the airline or through Amex Travel, or the Chase Sapphire Preferred Card for 2x on travel.
The information for the Citi Prestige Card and CitiBusiness AAdvantage cards has been collected independently by The Points Guy. The card details on this page have not been reviewed or provided by the card issuer.
Major departure cities below (and many more) are included in one way-trip fare to Bangkok, Thailand as part of this 70,000 miles deal:
- New York City (LGA/JFK)
- Atlanta (ATL)
- Los Angeles (LAX)
- Houston (IAH)
- Chicago (ORD)
- Minneapolis (MSP)
- Cleveland (CLE)
- Nashville (BNA)
The deal below shows a two-stop trip booked from Minneapolis to Dallas, Dallas to Japan and then Japan to Thailand. Winters in Midwestern states are harsh so why not trade in 70,000 miles for 70-degree weather in Thailand this January?
Anyone wanting to get away from the freezing Big Apple this winter can forget about baseball rivalries and head from Laguardia Airport to Boston for the first stop, then Boston to Japan and Japan to Bangkok.
If those on the West Coast want a different type of sunshine, they have a shorter trip to Thailand. From Los Angeles’ LAX airport it’s a direct trip to Narita airport and then from Japan to Thailand.
How to book your flights
If you go to American Airlines‘ official site, click redeem points and book your one-way from a major departure city and airport then you should be on your way to Thailand in business class style!
Featured photo by Matteo Colombo/Getty Images
Welcome to The Points Guy!
Earn 50,000 bonus miles and 5,000 Medallion® Qualification Miles (MQMs) after you spend $2,000 in purchases on your new card in the first three months of card membership. Plus, earn up to $100 back in statement credits for eligible purchases at U.S. restaurants in the first three months of card membership.
With Status Boost™, earn 10,000 Medallion Qualification Miles (MQMs) after you spend $25,000 in purchases on your Card in a calendar year, up to two times per year getting you closer to Medallion Status. Earn 3X Miles on Delta purchases and purchases made directly with hotels, 2X Miles at restaurants and at U.S. supermarkets and earn 1X Mile on all other eligible purchases. Terms Apply.
- Earn 50,000 Bonus Miles and 5,000 Medallion® Qualification Miles (MQMs) after you spend $2,000 in purchases on your new Card in your first 3 months.
- Plus, earn up to $100 back in statement credits for eligible purchases at U.S. restaurants with your card within the first 3 months of membership.
- Earn up to 20,000 Medallion® Qualification Miles (MQMs) with Status Boost® per year. After you spend $25,000 in purchases on your Card in a calendar year, you can earn 10,000 MQMs two times per year, getting you closer to Medallion® Status. MQMs are used to determine Medallion® Status and are different than miles you earn toward flights.
- Earn 3X Miles on Delta purchases and purchases made directly with hotels.
- Earn 2X Miles at restaurants worldwide, including takeout and delivery and at U.S. supermarkets.
- Earn 1X Miles on all other eligible purchases.
- Receive a Domestic Main Cabin round-trip companion certificate each year upon renewal of your Card. *Payment of the government imposed taxes and fees of no more than $75 for roundtrip domestic flights (for itineraries with up to four flight segments) is required. Baggage charges and other restrictions apply. See terms and conditions for details.
- Enjoy your first checked bag free on Delta flights.
- Fee Credit for Global Entry or TSA Pre✓®.
- Enjoy an exclusive rate of $39 per person per visit to enter the Delta Sky Club® for you and up to two guests when traveling on a Delta flight.
- No Foreign Transaction Fees.
- $250 Annual Fee.
- Terms Apply.
- See Rates & Fees