Southwest deal alert: 30% off fall flights to Hawaii, Mexico and the Caribbean
This post contains references to products from one or more of our advertisers. We may receive compensation when you click on links to those products. Terms apply to the offers listed on this page. For an explanation of our Advertising Policy, visit this page.
I know many of us are counting the days until summer vacations, but Southwest Airlines wants you to start planning ahead for the fall. The airline has a big sale for travel to popular tropical destinations like the Caribbean, Central America, Hawaii and Mexico. You can score round-trip tickets for 30% off select base fares, and this deal works with cash and points.
Thanks to Running with Miles for first spotting this great sale.
For more TPG news delivered each morning to your inbox, sign up for our daily newsletter.
To search for a flight, head to Southwest’s website, pick your departure city and preferred travel dates within the promotional window, and enter the GOTROPICAL promo code. Don’t waste too much time, as many popular routes out of major cities are being snapped up.
The offer is valid for flights booked from April 26-28 for select flights between Sept. 6 and Nov. 4.
Airline: Southwest Airlines.
Routes: Select flights from various cities to a variety of destinations, including Honolulu; Hilo, Hawaii; Cancun, Mexico; Puerto Vallarta, Mexico; and Belize.
How to book: Directly through the airline or the Southwest website.
Travel dates: Sept. 6 through Nov. 4.
Book by: 11:59 p.m. on April 28.
You can fly from Miami International Airport (MIA) to Cancun International Airport (CUN) in September for as low as $271.16 round-trip, including taxes and fees.
Flights from LaGuardia Airport (LGA) to Juan Santamaría International Airport (SJO) in San Jose, Costa Rica, can be booked in September for as little as $274.25 round-trip. We saw lots of availability for this route in September and October so if your schedule is flexible, it could help you find a great bargain.
How about flying from Los Angeles to Hawaii for just $310 round-trip? Flights from Los Angeles International Airport (LAX) to Hilo International Airport (ITO) on the Big Island can be found at that price in September. You’ll also find good availability in early October.
Hartsfield-Jackson Atlanta International Airport (ATL) to Lynden Pindling International Airport (NAS) in Nassau, Bahamas, is another route with lots of available tickets in September. A round-trip ticket to Nassau is available for less than $438.
Maximize your purchase
Pay with: The Platinum Card® from American Express for 5 points per dollar on airfare booked directly with the airline or through American Express Travel (on up to $500,000 on these purchases per calendar year), the Citi Prestige® Card for 5 points per dollar on airfare, the Citi Premier® Card or Chase Sapphire Reserve for 3 points per dollar on air travel, the American Express® Gold Card for 3 points per dollar on airfare when booked directly with the airline or through Amex Travel, or the Chase Sapphire Preferred Card for 2 points per dollar on travel.
The information for the Citi Prestige Card has been collected independently by The Points Guy. The card details on this page have not been reviewed or provided by the card issuer.
Featured photo by Anna Munoz/Getty Images.
Welcome to The Points Guy!
Earn 90,000 bonus miles after you spend $3,000 in purchases on your new Card in your first 3 months. Offer ends 8/3/2022.
With Status Boost™, earn 10,000 Medallion Qualification Miles (MQMs) after you spend $25,000 in purchases on your Card in a calendar year, up to two times per year getting you closer to Medallion Status. Earn 3X Miles on Delta purchases and purchases made directly with hotels, 2X Miles at restaurants and at U.S. supermarkets and earn 1X Mile on all other eligible purchases. Terms Apply.
- Limited Time Offer: Earn 90,000 bonus miles after you spend $3,000 in purchases on your new Card in your first 3 months. Offer ends 8/3/2022.
- Earn up to 20,000 Medallion® Qualification Miles (MQMs) with Status Boost® per year. After you spend $25,000 in purchases on your Card in a calendar year, you can earn 10,000 MQMs up to two times per year, getting you closer to Medallion® Status. MQMs are used to determine Medallion® Status and are different than miles you earn toward flights.
- Earn 3X Miles on Delta purchases and purchases made directly with hotels.
- Earn 2X Miles at restaurants worldwide including takeout and delivery in the U.S., and at U.S. supermarkets.
- Earn 1X Miles on all other eligible purchases.
- Receive a Domestic Main Cabin round-trip companion certificate each year upon renewal of your Card. Payment of the government imposed taxes and fees of no more than $80 for roundtrip domestic flights (for itineraries with up to four flight segments) is required. Baggage charges and other restrictions apply. See terms and conditions for details.
- Enjoy your first checked bag free on Delta flights.
- Fee Credit for Global Entry or TSA PreCheck® after you apply through any Authorized Enrollment Provider. If approved for Global Entry, at no additional charge, you will receive access to TSA PreCheck.
- Enjoy an exclusive rate of $39 per person per visit to enter the Delta Sky Club® for you and up to two guests when traveling on a Delta flight.
- No Foreign Transaction Fees.
- $250 Annual Fee.
- Terms Apply.
- See Rates & Fees