Southwest deal alert: Fares as low as $69 one-way to beach destinations
This post contains references to products from one or more of our advertisers. We may receive compensation when you click on links to those products. Terms apply to the offers listed on this page. For an explanation of our Advertising Policy, visit this page.
Calling all Southwest fans and even those of you who consider yourselves to be above the low-cost carrier airline (tsk tsk), because it is currently running a sale to various beach destinations such as Mexico, the Caribbean and Florida, with one-way fares starting at just $69.
There’s another sale with fares as low as $59 that runs through Dec. 30, but the best deals we found were for the “beaches sale.”
Be warned you’ll need to hunt around to find these bargains and the sale ends tonight, so let’s get to it.
For more TPG news delivered each morning to your inbox, sign up for our daily newsletter.
Airline: Southwest Airlines.
Routes: From any city SWA departs from to various beach destinations, including TZA/CUN/CZM/FLL/JAX/MIA/MBJ/SRQ/TPA/PBI and others.
How to book: Directly through the airline’s sale page. You can also select your departure city to search for low fares.
Travel dates: Jan. 5-March 9, 2022, excluding travel to/from San Juan, Puerto Rico, which is valid Jan. 10-March 9, 2022.
Book by: 11:59 p.m. CT on Dec. 16.
As I mentioned above, you can search for low fares by setting your departure city of choice, which is where I would start with this deal.
From there, you’ll find numerous one-way fares, in this case ranging from $69 to $203 depending on the route.
Some of the best one-way deals I found in the sale include:
- Washington, D.C. (DCA), to Jacksonville, Florida (JAX), for $69, nonstop.
- Los Angeles (LAX) to Honolulu (HNL)/Kahului (OGG)/Kona (KOA)/Lihue (LIH) in Hawaii for $99, nonstop.
- St. Louis (STL) to Jacksonville (JAX)/Long Beach, California (LGB), for $99.
- St. Louis (STL) to Savannah, Georgia (SAV), for $103.
- Washington, D.C. (DCA), to Fort Lauderdale (FLL)/Fort Myers (RSW)/Sarasota (SRQ)/Tampa (TPA) in Florida for $104, nonstop.
- New York (LGA) to Nassau, Bahamas (NAS), for $104.
- New York (LGA) to Sarasota (SRQ)/Tampa (TPA) for $114, nonstop.
- St. Louis (STL) to Fort Lauderdale (FLL) for $114, nonstop.
- New York (LGA)/Washington, D.C. (DCA), to Orlando (MCO) for $121, nonstop.
- St. Louis (STL) to Fort Myers (RSW)/Sarasota (SRQ)/Tampa (TPA) for $121.
- Washington, D.C. (DCA), to Panama City Beach (ECP)/Pensacola (PNS) in Florida for $123.
- St. Louis (STL) to Orange County, California (SNA), for $129, nonstop.
- St. Louis (STL) to Miami (MIA) for $132.
- New York (LGA) to Pensacola (PNS)/Destin-Fort Walton Beach (VPS) in Florida for $133.
- Washington, D.C. (DCA), to West Palm Beach, Florida (PBI), for $135.
- New York (LGA) to Fort Myers (RSW) for $146.
- Washington, D.C. (DCA), to Providenciales, Turks and Caicos (PLS), for $153.
- St. Louis (STL) to Los Angeles (LAX) for $153, nonstop.
Once you’ve found a flight that works for you, simply click on “select dates” to search the “Low Fare Calendar.”
In this case, I was able to find both legs of STL-RSW for $69 each way via the “Wanna Get Away” fare, so I booked a round-trip as normal. Otherwise, book two one-way tickets separately.
Rapid Rewards members can also use points to book this deal. TPG currently values RR points at 1.5 cents each, and you can use our new Awards vs. Cash Calculator to determine whether a deal is a better value in cash or points.
There’s another advertised sale out there that runs until Dec. 30 with fares as low as $59 one-way, but we didn’t find any screaming deals when we searched. Your mileage may vary!
Maximize your purchase
Don’t forget to use a card that earns bonus points on airfare purchases, such as The Platinum Card® from American Express (5x on airfare booked directly with the airline or through American Express Travel, on up to $500,000 on these purchases per calendar year), Citi Prestige® Card (5x on airfare), Citi Premier® Card, Chase Sapphire Reserve (3x on airfare), American Express® Gold Card (3x on airfare when booked directly with the airline or via Amex Travel) or the Chase Sapphire Preferred Card (2x on travel). Or, use your Southwest Rapid Rewards Premier Credit Card for 3x on Southwest Airlines purchases. Check out this post for more on maximizing airfare purchases.
The information for the Citi Prestige Card has been collected independently by The Points Guy. The card details on this page have not been reviewed or provided by the card issuer.
Act quickly because this deal ends in a matter of hours!
Featured photo by Sirisak Phatalakool/EyeEm/Getty Images.
Welcome to The Points Guy!
Earn 90,000 bonus miles after you spend $3,000 in purchases on your new Card in your first 3 months. Offer ends 8/3/2022.
With Status Boost™, earn 10,000 Medallion Qualification Miles (MQMs) after you spend $25,000 in purchases on your Card in a calendar year, up to two times per year getting you closer to Medallion Status. Earn 3X Miles on Delta purchases and purchases made directly with hotels, 2X Miles at restaurants and at U.S. supermarkets and earn 1X Mile on all other eligible purchases. Terms Apply.
- Limited Time Offer: Earn 90,000 bonus miles after you spend $3,000 in purchases on your new Card in your first 3 months. Offer ends 8/3/2022.
- Earn up to 20,000 Medallion® Qualification Miles (MQMs) with Status Boost® per year. After you spend $25,000 in purchases on your Card in a calendar year, you can earn 10,000 MQMs up to two times per year, getting you closer to Medallion® Status. MQMs are used to determine Medallion® Status and are different than miles you earn toward flights.
- Earn 3X Miles on Delta purchases and purchases made directly with hotels.
- Earn 2X Miles at restaurants worldwide including takeout and delivery in the U.S., and at U.S. supermarkets.
- Earn 1X Miles on all other eligible purchases.
- Receive a Domestic Main Cabin round-trip companion certificate each year upon renewal of your Card. Payment of the government imposed taxes and fees of no more than $80 for roundtrip domestic flights (for itineraries with up to four flight segments) is required. Baggage charges and other restrictions apply. See terms and conditions for details.
- Enjoy your first checked bag free on Delta flights.
- Fee Credit for Global Entry or TSA PreCheck® after you apply through any Authorized Enrollment Provider. If approved for Global Entry, at no additional charge, you will receive access to TSA PreCheck.
- Enjoy an exclusive rate of $39 per person per visit to enter the Delta Sky Club® for you and up to two guests when traveling on a Delta flight.
- No Foreign Transaction Fees.
- $250 Annual Fee.
- Terms Apply.
- See Rates & Fees