Round-trip to Singapore, Thailand, Vietnam and Malaysia from $508 on ANA and other alliance airlines
This post contains references to products from one or more of our advertisers. We may receive compensation when you click on links to those products. Terms apply to the offers listed on this page. For an explanation of our Advertising Policy, visit this page.
Airfare deals are typically only available on limited dates. We recommend you use Google Flights to find dates to fly, then book through an online travel agency such as Orbitz or Expedia, which allows you to cancel flights without penalty by 11pm Eastern Time within one day of booking. However, if you’re using The Platinum Card® from American Express, you’ll need to book directly with the airline or through the Amex Travel portal to get 5x MR points (on up to $500,000 on these purchases per calendar year). Remember: Fares may disappear quickly, so book right away and take advantage of Orbitz or Expedia’s courtesy cancellation if you’re unable to get the time away from work or family.
Now’s the perfect time to visit Chiang Mai, Hanoi, Bangkok, Singapore or Kuala Lumpur. Hit the beaches, nosh on street food, and explore a new city — or country — for less than the cost of a week’s rent in New York City. The lowest fares are from Los Angeles (LAX) to Bangkok (BKK) on ANA for $521 round-trip if purchased directly from the carrier, or just $508 round-trip if purchased through a third-party site like Bravofly or Gotogate (use a credit card with trip protection if you do this).
None of these routes pass through cities with quarantine restrictions that have been imposed in response to the coronavirus.
Many of these fares are in basic economy. Basic economy means different things to different airlines. You may not have free use of the overhead bins for a carry-on bag, and you probably won’t be able to select your seat, get an upgrade, or earn Premier Qualifying Miles, Premier Qualifying Segments or Premier Qualifying Dollars. However, it’s possible to add a few amenities to a basic economy trip by having elite status or a cobranded credit card.
To find a deal, head to Google Flights and enter your origin and destination cities. Scroll through the calendar to find dates and prices. Finally, click through to book directly with the airline or an online travel agency such as Orbitz or Expedia.
Airline: United, ANA, Asiana, Korean Air, Delta
Routes: LAX/SFO/EWR/JFK and more to BKK/HAN/KUL/SIN/CNX
Cost: from $508 round-trip in economy
Dates: February 2020-May 2020
Pay with: The Platinum Card® from American Express (5x on airfare booked directly with the airline), Citi Prestige® Card (5x on airfare), Citi Premier® Card, Chase Sapphire Reserve (3x on airfare), American Express® Gold Card (3x on airfare when booked directly with the airline) or Chase Sapphire Preferred Card (2x on travel)
The information for the Citi Prestige Card has been collected independently by The Points Guy. The card details on this page have not been reviewed or provided by the card issuer.
Here are some examples of specific flights that are available:
Los Angeles (LAX) to Bangkok (BKK) for $508 round-trip on ANA via Bravofly:
Los Angeles (LAX) to Kuala Lumpur (KUL) for $510 round-trip on ANA via Gotogate:
San Francisco (SFO) to Hanoi (HAN) for $560 round-trip on Asiana via Orbitz:
San Francisco (SFO) to Ho Chi Minh City (SGN) for $583 round-trip on Asiana via Orbitz:
New York-JFK to Chiang Mai (CNX) for $607 round-trip on Delta:
Maximize your purchase
Don’t forget to use a credit card that earns additional points on airfare purchases, such as The Platinum Card® from American Express (5x on flights booked directly with airlines or American Express Travel), Chase Sapphire Reserve, American Express® Gold Card, Citi Premier® Card, Citi Prestige Card (5x on airfare) or the Chase Sapphire Preferred Card (2x on all travel purchases). Check out this guide for more on maximizing airfare purchases.
Featured image by Getty Images.
Welcome to The Points Guy!
WELCOME OFFER: 80,000 Points
TPG'S BONUS VALUATION*: $1,650
CARD HIGHLIGHTS: 2X points on all travel and dining, points transferrable to over a dozen travel partners
*Bonus value is an estimated value calculated by TPG and not the card issuer. View our latest valuations here.
- Earn 80,000 bonus points after you spend $4,000 on purchases in the first 3 months from account opening. That's $1,000 when you redeem through Chase Ultimate Rewards®. Plus earn up to $50 in statement credits towards grocery store purchases within your first year of account opening.
- Earn 2X points on dining including eligible delivery services, takeout and dining out and travel. Plus, earn 1 point per dollar spent on all other purchases.
- Get 25% more value when you redeem for airfare, hotels, car rentals and cruises through Chase Ultimate Rewards®. For example, 80,000 points are worth $1,000 toward travel.
- With Pay Yourself Back℠, your points are worth 25% more during the current offer when you redeem them for statement credits against existing purchases in select, rotating categories.
- Get unlimited deliveries with a $0 delivery fee and reduced service fees on eligible orders over $12 for a minimum of one year with DashPass, DoorDash's subscription service. Activate by 12/31/21.
- Count on Trip Cancellation/Interruption Insurance, Auto Rental Collision Damage Waiver, Lost Luggage Insurance and more.
- Get up to $60 back on an eligible Peloton Digital or All-Access Membership through 12/31/2021, and get full access to their workout library through the Peloton app, including cardio, running, strength, yoga, and more. Take classes using a phone, tablet, or TV. No fitness equipment is required.