Deal alert: Fly to Los Angeles this winter from $80 nonstop
This post contains references to products from one or more of our advertisers. We may receive compensation when you click on links to those products. Terms apply to the offers listed on this page. For an explanation of our Advertising Policy, visit this page.
When the calendar changes, the temperature cools and the ticket prices drop, it’s a good time to follow the sage advice of the notable newspaperman Horace Greeley and “Go West, young man!”
There is a major sale for winter flights to Los Angeles from a number of cities, with many nonstops available. This deal also works in reverse if you live in the City of Angels and are looking to head out of town for a bit.
American and Delta fares part of this sale are for Main Cabin, which comes with a free carry-on and seat assignment. Other fares are in basic economy.
Want your TPG news delivered straight to your inbox each morning? Sign up for our daily newsletter.
Thanks to our friends at Thrifty Traveler for alerting us to this great deal, which they gave out first to their premium subscribers. Their premium service is available for $7.99 monthly or $49.99 annually. This membership fee can easily pay for itself since you’ll get notified of cheap flights, award flight sales and business-class deals straight to your email.
Nonmembers can find sale prices by using Google Flights to search for desired routes and dates.
Airlines: American, Delta and others.
Routes: AUS/DEN/DFW/FLL/IAH/IND/JFK/LAX/MIA/MSY/SFO to LAX.
Cost: Flights available from $78; some nonstop routes available.
Dates: Now-November 2022; availability varies by city.
Pay with: The Platinum Card® from American Express for 5x on airfare booked directly with the airline or through American Express Travel (on up to $500,000 on these purchases per calendar year); the Citi Prestige® Card for 5x on airfare; the Citi Premier® Card (3x on air travel); Chase Sapphire Reserve (3x on air travel); the American Express® Gold Card for 3x on airfare when booked directly with the airline or through Amex Travel or the Chase Sapphire Preferred Card for 2x on travel.
The information for the Citi Prestige Card has been collected independently by The Points Guy. The card details on this page have not been reviewed or provided by the card issuer.
American Main Cabin fares from San Francisco (SFO) to LAX in late April can be booked for just $80. That’s a huge discount from what that itinerary usually costs at that time of year. We also found lots of availability at the same bargain price for the same route in March.
Delta Main Cabin fares from Denver (DEN) to LA can be had for under $100 round-trip in February.
Alaska Airlines has nonstop Saver fares in March from Fort Lauderdale (FLL) to Los Angeles for $138.
Minneapolis (MSP) to LA in February for a long weekend can be booked on Delta for $140 nonstop.
Here’s another great fare we found in this deal — Indianapolis (IND) to Los Angeles for just $138 nonstop in late February is almost too good to pass up. That ticket usually will cost close to $400. And it’s on American, so it’s a Main Cabin fare, which comes with the carry-on bag. So if you’re a savvy traveler who knows how to maximize space in your carry-on, then you want to jump on this long weekend itinerary.
Maximize your purchase
Don’t forget to use a card that earns points on airfare purchases, like The Platinum Card® from American Express for 5x on airfare booked directly with the airline or through American Express Travel (on up to $500,000 on these purchases per calendar year); the Citi Prestige® Card for 5x on airfare; the Citi Premier® Card (3x on air travel); Chase Sapphire Reserve (3x on air travel); the American Express® Gold Card for 3x on airfare when booked directly with the airline or through Amex Travel or the Chase Sapphire Preferred Card for 2x on travel.
Los Angeles sometimes doesn’t get the love it should for being a destination with so many great reasons to visit. You can do movie studio tours, enjoy the incredibly diverse culinary scene and great shopping, and also take scenic road trips to Malibu or Santa Barbara. No matter what floats your travel boat, you can find it in Southern California.
Featured photo by Andrew Kennelly/Getty Images.
Welcome to The Points Guy!
Earn 90,000 bonus miles after you spend $3,000 in purchases on your new Card in your first 3 months. Offer ends 8/3/2022.
With Status Boost™, earn 10,000 Medallion Qualification Miles (MQMs) after you spend $25,000 in purchases on your Card in a calendar year, up to two times per year getting you closer to Medallion Status. Earn 3X Miles on Delta purchases and purchases made directly with hotels, 2X Miles at restaurants and at U.S. supermarkets and earn 1X Mile on all other eligible purchases. Terms Apply.
- Limited Time Offer: Earn 90,000 bonus miles after you spend $3,000 in purchases on your new Card in your first 3 months. Offer ends 8/3/2022.
- Earn up to 20,000 Medallion® Qualification Miles (MQMs) with Status Boost® per year. After you spend $25,000 in purchases on your Card in a calendar year, you can earn 10,000 MQMs up to two times per year, getting you closer to Medallion® Status. MQMs are used to determine Medallion® Status and are different than miles you earn toward flights.
- Earn 3X Miles on Delta purchases and purchases made directly with hotels.
- Earn 2X Miles at restaurants worldwide including takeout and delivery in the U.S., and at U.S. supermarkets.
- Earn 1X Miles on all other eligible purchases.
- Receive a Domestic Main Cabin round-trip companion certificate each year upon renewal of your Card. Payment of the government imposed taxes and fees of no more than $80 for roundtrip domestic flights (for itineraries with up to four flight segments) is required. Baggage charges and other restrictions apply. See terms and conditions for details.
- Enjoy your first checked bag free on Delta flights.
- Fee Credit for Global Entry or TSA PreCheck® after you apply through any Authorized Enrollment Provider. If approved for Global Entry, at no additional charge, you will receive access to TSA PreCheck.
- Enjoy an exclusive rate of $39 per person per visit to enter the Delta Sky Club® for you and up to two guests when traveling on a Delta flight.
- No Foreign Transaction Fees.
- $250 Annual Fee.
- Terms Apply.
- See Rates & Fees