Deal alert: Fly business class to the Galapagos starting at $1,100 round-trip
This post contains references to products from one or more of our advertisers. We may receive compensation when you click on links to those products. Terms apply to the offers listed on this page. For an explanation of our Advertising Policy, visit this page.
For more TPG news and deals delivered each morning to your inbox, sign up for our daily newsletter here: https://thepointsguy.com/mailing-list/
When Charles Darwin landed in the Galapagos in the 1800s, he said the remote islands seemed “to be a little world within itself.”
If you’re looking to experience that little world, we’re seeing cheap business-class deals to Baltra Island (GPS) and San Cristóbal Island (SCY) for as low as $1,100 round-trip. The deals appear to be available between March and May 2020, with some pricier dates available through June.
Note that some dates from New York are mixed-cabin fares, meaning you’ll be in either economy or premium economy for the short-haul flights. The long-haul flights between New York and Guayaquil are all lie-flat on LATAM. LATAM’s business class to Guayaquil is on a Boeing 767 and arranged in a 2-2-2 configuration, according to a SeatGuru search. The deals from Atlanta are on Delta and LATAM and, while the long-hauls are in business class, none are lie-flat.
Unfortunately, you won’t find any points hotels in the Galapagos. The Pikaia Lodge is a member of Small Luxury Hotels, so you’ll hopefully be able to earn and redeem World of Hyatt points there in the future. As of writing, it’s not available on the Hyatt website. You have plenty of options on Airbnb to choose from, however, with rates hovering at $30 a night for entire properties. Airbnb generally counts as a travel purchase with cards like the Chase Sapphire Preferred Card and Chase Sapphire Reserve and both cards frequently receive Airbnb cash back through the Chase Offers portal.
To search, head to Google Flights and enter your origin and destination cities. Scroll through the calendar function to find dates and prices that work for you. Finally, click through to book directly with the airline or an OTA like Orbitz or Expedia.
Airline: LATAM, Delta
Cost: $1,100+ round-trip in business
Pay With: The Platinum Card® from American Express (5x on airfare booked directly with the airline), Citi Prestige® Card (5x on airfare), Citi Premier® Card, Chase Sapphire Reserve (3x on airfare), American Express® Gold Card (3x on airfare when booked directly with the airline) or Chase Sapphire Preferred Card (2x on travel)
The information for the Citi Prestige has been collected independently by The Points Guy. The card details on this page have not been reviewed or provided by the card issuer.
Here are a few examples of what you can book:
Atlanta (ATL) to Baltra Island (GPS) for $1,100 round-trip in business on Delta and LATAM via Lucky2Go:
New York (JFK) to Baltra Island for $1,307 round-trip in business on LATAM via Expedia:
New York (JFK) to San Cristóbal Island (SCY) for $1,382 round-trip on LATAM via Expedia:
Maximize your purchase
Don’t forget to use a credit card that earns additional points on airfare purchases, such as The Platinum Card® from American Express (5x on flights booked directly with airlines or American Express Travel), Chase Sapphire Reserve, American Express® Gold Card, Citi Premier® Card, Citi Prestige Card (5x on airfare) or the Chase Sapphire Preferred Card (2x on all travel purchases). Check out this guide for more on maximizing airfare purchases.
Featured image courtesy of guenterguni / Getty Images
Welcome to The Points Guy!
WELCOME OFFER: 80,000 Points
TPG'S BONUS VALUATION*: $1,650
CARD HIGHLIGHTS: 2X points on all travel and dining, points transferrable to over a dozen travel partners
*Bonus value is an estimated value calculated by TPG and not the card issuer. View our latest valuations here.
- Earn 80,000 bonus points after you spend $4,000 on purchases in the first 3 months from account opening. That's $1,000 when you redeem through Chase Ultimate Rewards®. Plus earn up to $50 in statement credits towards grocery store purchases within your first year of account opening.
- Earn 2X points on dining including eligible delivery services, takeout and dining out and travel. Plus, earn 1 point per dollar spent on all other purchases.
- Get 25% more value when you redeem for airfare, hotels, car rentals and cruises through Chase Ultimate Rewards®. For example, 80,000 points are worth $1,000 toward travel.
- With Pay Yourself Back℠, your points are worth 25% more during the current offer when you redeem them for statement credits against existing purchases in select, rotating categories.
- Get unlimited deliveries with a $0 delivery fee and reduced service fees on eligible orders over $12 for a minimum of one year with DashPass, DoorDash's subscription service. Activate by 12/31/21.
- Count on Trip Cancellation/Interruption Insurance, Auto Rental Collision Damage Waiver, Lost Luggage Insurance and more.
- Get up to $60 back on an eligible Peloton Digital or All-Access Membership through 12/31/2021, and get full access to their workout library through the Peloton app, including cardio, running, strength, yoga, and more. Take classes using a phone, tablet, or TV. No fitness equipment is required.