Deal alert: Fly business class to the Galapagos starting at $1,100 round-trip
This post contains references to products from one or more of our advertisers. We may receive compensation when you click on links to those products. Terms apply to the offers listed on this page. For an explanation of our Advertising Policy, visit this page.
For more TPG news and deals delivered each morning to your inbox, sign up for our daily newsletter here: https://thepointsguy.com/mailing-list//
When Charles Darwin landed in the Galapagos in the 1800s, he said the remote islands seemed “to be a little world within itself.”
If you’re looking to experience that little world, we’re seeing cheap business-class deals to Baltra Island (GPS) and San Cristóbal Island (SCY) for as low as $1,100 round-trip. The deals appear to be available between March and May 2020, with some pricier dates available through June.
Note that some dates from New York are mixed-cabin fares, meaning you’ll be in either economy or premium economy for the short-haul flights. The long-haul flights between New York and Guayaquil are all lie-flat on LATAM. LATAM’s business class to Guayaquil is on a Boeing 767 and arranged in a 2-2-2 configuration, according to a SeatGuru search. The deals from Atlanta are on Delta and LATAM and, while the long-hauls are in business class, none are lie-flat.
Unfortunately, you won’t find any points hotels in the Galapagos. The Pikaia Lodge is a member of Small Luxury Hotels, so you’ll hopefully be able to earn and redeem World of Hyatt points there in the future. As of writing, it’s not available on the Hyatt website. You have plenty of options on Airbnb to choose from, however, with rates hovering at $30 a night for entire properties. Airbnb generally counts as a travel purchase with cards like the Chase Sapphire Preferred Card and Chase Sapphire Reserve and both cards frequently receive Airbnb cash back through the Chase Offers portal.
To search, head to Google Flights and enter your origin and destination cities. Scroll through the calendar function to find dates and prices that work for you. Finally, click through to book directly with the airline or an OTA like Orbitz or Expedia.
Airline: LATAM, Delta
Cost: $1,100+ round-trip in business
Pay With: The Platinum Card® from American Express (5x on airfare booked directly with the airline), Citi Prestige® Card (5x on airfare), Citi Premier® Card, Chase Sapphire Reserve (3x on airfare), American Express® Gold Card (3x on airfare when booked directly with the airline) or Chase Sapphire Preferred Card (2x on travel)
The information for the Citi Prestige has been collected independently by The Points Guy. The card details on this page have not been reviewed or provided by the card issuer.
Here are a few examples of what you can book:
Atlanta (ATL) to Baltra Island (GPS) for $1,100 round-trip in business on Delta and LATAM via Lucky2Go:
New York (JFK) to Baltra Island for $1,307 round-trip in business on LATAM via Expedia:
New York (JFK) to San Cristóbal Island (SCY) for $1,382 round-trip on LATAM via Expedia:
Maximize your purchase
Don’t forget to use a credit card that earns additional points on airfare purchases, such as The Platinum Card® from American Express (5x on flights booked directly with airlines or American Express Travel), Chase Sapphire Reserve, American Express® Gold Card, Citi Premier® Card, Citi Prestige Card (5x on airfare) or the Chase Sapphire Preferred Card (2x on all travel purchases). Check out this guide for more on maximizing airfare purchases.
Featured image courtesy of guenterguni / Getty Images
Welcome to The Points Guy!
Earn 90,000 bonus miles and 10,000 Medallion® Qualification Miles (MQMs) after you spend $3,000 in purchases on your new card in the first three months of card membership. Offer ends 11/10/2021.
With Status Boost™, earn 10,000 Medallion Qualification Miles (MQMs) after you spend $25,000 in purchases on your Card in a calendar year, up to two times per year getting you closer to Medallion Status. Earn 3X Miles on Delta purchases and purchases made directly with hotels, 2X Miles at restaurants and at U.S. supermarkets and earn 1X Mile on all other eligible purchases. Terms Apply.
- Limited Time Offer: Earn 90,000 Bonus Miles and 10,000 Medallion® Qualification Miles (MQMs) after you spend $3,000 in purchases on your new Card in your first 3 months. Offer expires 11/10/2021.
- Earn up to 20,000 Medallion® Qualification Miles (MQMs) with Status Boost® per year. After you spend $25,000 in purchases on your Card in a calendar year, you can earn 10,000 MQMs two times per year, getting you closer to Medallion® Status. MQMs are used to determine Medallion® Status and are different than miles you earn toward flights.
- Earn 3X Miles on Delta purchases and purchases made directly with hotels.
- Earn 2X Miles at restaurants worldwide, including takeout and delivery and at U.S. supermarkets.
- Earn 1X Miles on all other eligible purchases.
- Receive a Domestic Main Cabin round-trip companion certificate each year upon renewal of your Card. *Payment of the government imposed taxes and fees of no more than $75 for roundtrip domestic flights (for itineraries with up to four flight segments) is required. Baggage charges and other restrictions apply. See terms and conditions for details.
- Enjoy your first checked bag free on Delta flights.
- Fee Credit for Global Entry or TSA Pre✓®.
- Enjoy an exclusive rate of $39 per person per visit to enter the Delta Sky Club® for you and up to two guests when traveling on a Delta flight.
- No Foreign Transaction Fees.
- $250 Annual Fee.
- Terms Apply.
- See Rates & Fees