Deal alert: Flights to Italy and France have dropped to $275 round-trip
This post contains references to products from one or more of our advertisers. We may receive compensation when you click on links to those products. Terms apply to the offers listed on this page. For an explanation of our Advertising Policy, visit this page.
For more TPG news and deals delivered each morning to your inbox, sign up for our daily newsletter here: https://thepointsguy.com/mailing-list//
Deals to Italy always signal and great start to the week. We’re seeing deals from across the U.S., including New York/Newark (JFK/EWR), Houston (IAH), Miami (MIA) and Los Angeles (LAX) to Italy starting at $275 round-trip. While most tickets include a stop, some itineraries like Chicago (ORD) are nonstop both ways. The deals are available between January and February 2020 for Houston (IAH) and the Washington area (IAD) and September – November for all other cities.
We first spotted the deals from Chicago at Secret Flying.
Note that many of the fares are in each airline’s respective basic economy class. While basic economy means different things to different airlines, generally you can’t pick your seat in advance and limited in your ability to check bags. However, there are ways to defeat aspects of basic economy by using an airline’s co-branded credit card.
To search, head to Google Flights and enter your origin and destination cities. Scroll through the calendar function to find dates and prices that work for you. Finally, click through to book directly with the airline or an OTA like Orbitz or Expedia.
Airline: United, Lufthansa, American, British Airways, Air Italy, Swiss, Finnair, TAP Air Portugal
Routes: BOS/ORD/JFK/EWR/IAH/SFO/MIA/LAX/IAD – CDG/FCO/MXP
Cost: $330+ round-trip in basic economy
Dates: August – October 2020
Pay With: The Platinum Card® from American Express (5x on airfare booked directly with the airline), Citi Prestige® Card (5x on airfare), Citi Premier® Card, Chase Sapphire Reserve (3x on airfare), American Express® Gold Card (3x on airfare when booked directly with the airline) or Chase Sapphire Preferred Card (2x on travel).
The information for the Citi Prestige card has been collected independently by The Points Guy. The card details on this page have not been reviewed or provided by the card issuer.
Here are a few examples of what you can book:
New York (JFK) to Paris (CDG) for $275 round-trip on American and Finnair:
Chicago (ORD) to Paris (CDG) for $281 round-trip on United and Swiss:
Chicago (ORD) to Rome (FCO) for $331 round-trip nonstop in United basic economy:
New York (JFK) to Rome (FCO) for $338 round-trip on American and British Airways basic economy:
Boston (BOS) to Rome (FCO) for $354 round-trip on Lufthansa:
Houston (IAH) to Rome (FCO) for $378 round-trip on British Airways and American basic economy:
Miami (MIA) to Milan (MXP) for $388 round-trip nonstop on Air Italy:
San Francisco (SFO) to Rome for $412 round-trip on Swiss:
Los Angeles (LAX) to Rome (FCO) for $418 round-trip on Lufthansa:
Washington (IAD) to Rome (FCO) for $419 round-trip on TAP:
Maximize your purchase
Don’t forget to use a credit card that earns additional points on airfare purchases, such as The Platinum Card® from American Express (5x on flights booked directly with airlines or American Express Travel), Chase Sapphire Reserve, American Express® Gold Card, Citi Premier® Card, Citi Prestige Card (5x on airfare) or the Chase Sapphire Preferred Card (2x on all travel purchases). Check out this guide for more on maximizing airfare purchases.
Featured image courtesy of bwzenith/Getty Images
Welcome to The Points Guy!
Earn 90,000 bonus miles after you spend $3,000 in purchases within the first three months of card membership. Plus, earn a $200 statement credit after your first Delta purchase within the first three months. Offer ends 7/28/21.
With Status Boost™, earn 10,000 Medallion Qualification Miles (MQMs) after you spend $25,000 in purchases on your Card in a calendar year, up to two times per year getting you closer to Medallion Status. Earn 3X Miles on Delta purchases and purchases made directly with hotels, 2X Miles at restaurants and at U.S. supermarkets and earn 1X Mile on all other eligible purchases. Terms Apply.
- Limited Time Offer: Earn 90,000 Bonus Miles after spending $3,000 in purchases on your new Card in your first 3 months and a $200 statement credit after you make a Delta purchase with your new Card within your first 3 months. Offer expires 7/28/2021.
- Limited Time Offer: Plus, get a 0% intro APR on purchases for 12 months from the date of account opening, then a variable 15.74%-24.74%. Offer expires 7/28/2021.
- Accelerate your path to Medallion Status, with Status Boost®. Plus, in 2021 you can earn even more bonus Medallion® Qualification Miles (MQMs) to help you reach Medallion Status.
- Earn 3X Miles on Delta purchases and purchases made directly with hotels.
- Earn 2X Miles at restaurants worldwide, including takeout and delivery and at U.S. supermarkets.
- Receive a Domestic Main Cabin round-trip companion certificate each year upon renewal of your Card. *Payment of the government imposed taxes and fees of no more than $75 for roundtrip domestic flights (for itineraries with up to four flight segments) is required. Baggage charges and other restrictions apply. See terms and conditions for details.
- Enjoy your first checked bag free on Delta flights.
- Fee Credit for Global Entry or TSA Pre✓®.
- Enjoy an exclusive rate of $39 per person per visit to enter the Delta Sky Club® for you and up to two guests when traveling on a Delta flight.
- No Foreign Transaction Fees.
- $250 Annual Fee.
- Terms Apply.
- See Rates & Fees