Deal alert: Flights to Puerto Rico for under $200 round-trip
This post contains references to products from one or more of our advertisers. We may receive compensation when you click on links to those products. Terms apply to the offers listed on this page. For an explanation of our Advertising Policy, visit this page.
The history, beauty and rich traditions of Puerto Rico are legendary. They’re best experienced in person, though. Here’s a deal that will motivate you to plan that trip to the island for the new year. For much of 2022, you can fly to San Juan on American Airlines for under $200 from major U.S. cities.
For more TPG news delivered each morning to your inbox, sign up for our daily newsletter.
We learned about this offer from our friends at Secret Flying. The deal is available via American Airlines from January to October 2022, with the exception of the summer months of June, July and August.
Airlines: American Airlines.
Routes: EWR/DCA/IAH/MIA/SFO to SJU.
How to book: Directly through the American Airlines site or Google Flights.
Travel dates: January-October 2022 (excluding summer months).
The deals below are in American’s Basic Economy tier, which includes a free carry-on. A checked bag, seat selection and priority boarding will cost extra.
One of the cheapest deals we found was from Miami (MIA) to San Juan (SJU) for a nonstop flight at $127 round-trip at the beginning of February.
Travelers can flee the harsh East Coast winter weather for $164 round-trip from Newark (EWR) to San Juan (SJU). There are a wide variety of options under $200 at the end of January and throughout February on this route.
Texans can head to the Caribbean for $198 round-trip from Houston (IAH) to San Juan (SJU) at the end of March 2022.
(Screenshot courtesy of Google Flights)
If you’re on the West Coast, you can also fly for $198 round-trip from San Francisco (SFO) to San Juan (SJU) at the end of January.
Maximize you purchase
Pay with: The Platinum Card® from American Express for 5x on airfare booked directly with the airline or through American Express Travel (on up to $500,000 on these purchases per calendar year), the Citi Prestige® Card for 5x on airfare, the Citi Premier® Card or Chase Sapphire Reserve for 3x on air travel, the American Express® Gold Card for 3x on airfare when booked directly with the airline or through Amex Travel, or the Chase Sapphire Preferred Card for 2x on travel — which you could redeem for as little as 13,000 points.
The information for the Citi Prestige Card has been collected independently by The Points Guy. The card details on this page have not been reviewed or provided by the card issuer.
From rainforests to beaches to Spanish colonial fortresses, Puerto Rico is an island of enchantment. With this deal, a visit in 2022 looks more appealing than ever.
Featured image by Clint Henderson/The Points Guy.
Welcome to The Points Guy!
WELCOME OFFER: 80,000 Points
TPG'S BONUS VALUATION*: $1,600
CARD HIGHLIGHTS: 3X points on dining and 2x points on travel, points transferrable to over a dozen travel partners
*Bonus value is an estimated value calculated by TPG and not the card issuer. View our latest valuations here.
- Earn 80,000 bonus points after you spend $4,000 on purchases in the first 3 months from account opening. That's $1,000 when you redeem through Chase Ultimate Rewards®.
- Enjoy benefits such as a $50 annual Ultimate Rewards Hotel Credit, 5x on travel purchased through Chase Ultimate Rewards®, 3x on dining and 2x on all other travel purchases, plus more.
- Get 25% more value when you redeem for airfare, hotels, car rentals and cruises through Chase Ultimate Rewards®. For example, 80,000 points are worth $1,000 toward travel.
- With Pay Yourself Back℠, your points are worth 25% more during the current offer when you redeem them for statement credits against existing purchases in select, rotating categories
- Count on Trip Cancellation/Interruption Insurance, Auto Rental Collision Damage Waiver, Lost Luggage Insurance and more.