Delta flash sale: Flights to Australia and Asia starting at just 56,000 SkyMiles
This post contains references to products from one or more of our advertisers. We may receive compensation when you click on links to those products. Terms apply to the offers listed on this page. For an explanation of our Advertising Policy, visit this page.
Airfare deals are typically only available on limited dates. We recommend you use Google Flights to find dates to fly, then book through an online travel agency such as Orbitz or Expedia, which allows you to cancel flights without penalty by 11pm Eastern Time within one day of booking. However, if you’re using The Platinum Card® from American Express, you’ll need to book directly with the airline or through the Amex Travel portal to get 5x MR points (on up to $500,000 on these purchases per calendar year). Remember: Fares may disappear quickly, so book right away and take advantage of Orbitz or Expedia’s courtesy cancellation if you’re unable to get the time away from work or family.
For more TPG news and deals delivered each morning to your inbox, sign up for our daily newsletter here: https://thepointsguy.com/mailing-list/
Delta has been on a roll lately with flash sales, both in cash and with Skymiles. Today, we’re seeing unreal deals from U.S. cities served by Delta to Tokyo and Seoul-area airports for as low as 56,000 SkyMiles plus taxes and fees. We’re also seeing even rarer deals to Sydney (SYD) starting at just 64,000 miles.
This is a great deal, especially to Sydney. TPG values Delta SkyMiles at 1.2 cents each, making the tickets from Los Angeles to Sydney worth just $768, minus taxes and fees. Nonstop flights from the West Coast to Australia can top over $1,200 on Delta.
You may need to play around with dates and cities, as we’re seeing deals lower than what’s published on Delta’s site. There are also deals on Comfort+ tickets for many routes. Lastly, if you see a deal you want, don’t wait as this promotion expires Sept. 19 at 11:59 p.m. ET.
To search, head to Delta’s website and enter your origin and destination cities. Scroll through the calendar function to find dates and prices that work for you. Finally, click through to book directly with the airline.
Routes: Major U.S. cities to Japan, Australia and Australia; see full list here
Cost: 56,000+ Skymiles + taxes and fees round-trip in economy
Dates: February 2020 – April 2020
Pay With: The Platinum Card® from American Express (5x on airfare booked directly with the airline), Citi Prestige® Card (5x on airfare), Citi Premier® Card, Chase Sapphire Reserve (3x on airfare), American Express® Gold Card (3x on airfare when booked directly with the airline) or Chase Sapphire Preferred Card (2x on travel)
Here are a few examples of what you can book:
Philadelphia (PHL) to Tokyo (HND) for 56,000 miles + $61 round-trip:
Seattle (SEA) to Osaka (KIX) for 62,000 miles + $60 round-trip nonstop:
Los Angeles (LAX) to Sydney (SYD) for 64,000 miles + $107 round-trip nonstop:
Newark (EWR) to Tokyo (NRT) for 72,000 miles + $61 round-trip:
Portland (PDX) to Nagoya (NGO) for 74,000 miles + $64 round-trip:
Baltimore (BWI) to Seoul (ICN) for 75,000 miles + $91 round-trip:
New York (JFK) to Seoul (ICN) for 75,000 miles + $185 round-trip:
San Jose (SJC) to Sydney (SYD) for 76,000 miles + $112 round-trip:
Atlanta (ATL) to Sydney (SYD) for 80,000 miles + $112 round-trip:
Maximize your purchase
While we typically recommend using a credit card that maximizes your earnings on airfare purchases, the taxes and fees on these awards are so cheap that it’s worth focusing on the cards that offer excellent trip delay and cancellation insurance — such as the Chase Sapphire Reserve, (3x on airfare) and the Chase Sapphire Preferred Card (2x on all travel purchases). Check out this post for more on maximizing airfare purchases.
Featured photo by Marco Simoni/Getty Images
Welcome to The Points Guy!
WELCOME OFFER: 80,000 Points
TPG'S BONUS VALUATION*: $1,650
CARD HIGHLIGHTS: 2X points on all travel and dining, points transferrable to over a dozen travel partners
*Bonus value is an estimated value calculated by TPG and not the card issuer. View our latest valuations here.
- Earn 80,000 bonus points after you spend $4,000 on purchases in the first 3 months from account opening. That's $1,000 when you redeem through Chase Ultimate Rewards®. Plus earn up to $50 in statement credits towards grocery store purchases within your first year of account opening.
- Earn 2X points on dining including eligible delivery services, takeout and dining out and travel. Plus, earn 1 point per dollar spent on all other purchases.
- Get 25% more value when you redeem for airfare, hotels, car rentals and cruises through Chase Ultimate Rewards®. For example, 80,000 points are worth $1,000 toward travel.
- With Pay Yourself Back℠, your points are worth 25% more during the current offer when you redeem them for statement credits against existing purchases in select, rotating categories.
- Get unlimited deliveries with a $0 delivery fee and reduced service fees on eligible orders over $12 for a minimum of one year with DashPass, DoorDash's subscription service. Activate by 12/31/21.
- Count on Trip Cancellation/Interruption Insurance, Auto Rental Collision Damage Waiver, Lost Luggage Insurance and more.
- Get up to $60 back on an eligible Peloton Digital or All-Access Membership through 12/31/2021, and get full access to their workout library through the Peloton app, including cardio, running, strength, yoga, and more. Take classes using a phone, tablet, or TV. No fitness equipment is required.