This post contains references to products from one or more of our advertisers. We may receive compensation when you click on links to those products. For an explanation of our Advertising Policy, visit this page.
The premium transcontinental travel market is a competitive one, with highly regarded products like JetBlue Mint and Delta One offering differentiated service from the typical domestic flight. American Airlines even offers first class on the flagship A321T aircraft it operates from New York (JFK) to Los Angeles (LAX) and San Francisco (SFO). The A321T will expand to the carrier’s flights from Boston (BOS) to LAX starting April 2, 2019, and this has opened up an interesting redemption opportunity.
As shared with TPG by reader Jared T., select business-class flights on this route are currently pricing at just 25,000 miles each way. While this rate is the usual price for one-way domestic business/first class MileSAAver awards, American typically charges higher rates for these premium flights, as indicated by the disclaimer on its award chart:
“If the award includes travel on an aircraft that offers lie-flat seats in the U.S. and Canada, the Business/First levels will be 7,500 miles higher than what is shown in the chart above.”
On the first day of the upgraded flight, the online award search engine bears this out:
However, there are sporadic dates showing the same flight at the 25,000-mile mark. Like this, from June 21:
As you can see, both of the frequencies operated by the A321T (designated as “32B”) are bookable for just 25,000 AAdvantage miles.
As you’d expect on a premium route like this, availability is sporadic to begin with, and this lower pricing is even more hit-or-miss. However, if you’ve been eyeing this route, it’s worth checking your preferred travel date(s) to see if you can save 7,500 miles on your redemption.
If you are able to snag one of these awards, you’ll be in for a solid inflight experience, including full lie-flat seats and multi-course dining (which you can pre-order online). For a complete overview of what to expect, be sure to read TPG Managing Editor Alberto Riva’s review from San Francisco to New York (JFK).
Thanks to Jared T for the tip! If you come across deals like this, be sure to email them to us at firstname.lastname@example.org.
For more TPG news delivered each morning to your inbox, sign up for our daily newsletter here: https://thepointsguy.com/mailing-list/
Know before you go.
News and deals straight to your inbox every day.
WELCOME OFFER: 60,000 Points Terms Apply.
TPG'S BONUS VALUATION: $1,200
CARD HIGHLIGHTS: Delta Sky Club and Centurion lounge access, $200 annual airline fee credit and up to $200 in Uber credits annually
- Earn 60,000 Membership Rewards® points after you use your new Card to make $5,000 in purchases in your first 3 months.
- Enjoy Uber VIP status and free rides in the U.S. up to $15 each month, plus a bonus $20 in December. That can be up to $200 in annual Uber savings.
- 5X Membership Rewards® points on flights booked directly with airlines or with American Express Travel.
- 5X Membership Rewards points on prepaid hotels booked on amextravel.com.
- Enjoy access to the Global Lounge Collection, the only credit card airport lounge access program that includes proprietary lounge locations around the world.
- Receive complimentary benefits with an average total value of $550 with Fine Hotels & Resorts. Learn More.
- $200 Airline Fee Credit, up to $200 per calendar year in baggage fees and more at one qualifying airline.
- Get up to $100 in statement credits annually for purchases at Saks Fifth Avenue on your Platinum Card®. Enrollment required.
- $550 annual fee.
- Terms Apply.
- See Rates & Fees