Deal Alert: American Transcon Flagship Business Class for 25,000 Miles One-Way
This post contains references to products from one or more of our advertisers. We may receive compensation when you click on links to those products. Terms apply to the offers listed on this page. For an explanation of our Advertising Policy, visit this page.
The premium transcontinental travel market is a competitive one, with highly regarded products like JetBlue Mint and Delta One offering differentiated service from the typical domestic flight. American Airlines even offers first class on the flagship A321T aircraft it operates from New York (JFK) to Los Angeles (LAX) and San Francisco (SFO). The A321T will expand to the carrier’s flights from Boston (BOS) to LAX starting April 2, 2019, and this has opened up an interesting redemption opportunity.
As shared with TPG by reader Jared T., select business-class flights on this route are currently pricing at just 25,000 miles each way. While this rate is the usual price for one-way domestic business/first class MileSAAver awards, American typically charges higher rates for these premium flights, as indicated by the disclaimer on its award chart:
“If the award includes travel on an aircraft that offers lie-flat seats in the U.S. and Canada, the Business/First levels will be 7,500 miles higher than what is shown in the chart above.”
On the first day of the upgraded flight, the online award search engine bears this out:
However, there are sporadic dates showing the same flight at the 25,000-mile mark. Like this, from June 21:
As you can see, both of the frequencies operated by the A321T (designated as “32B”) are bookable for just 25,000 AAdvantage miles.
As you’d expect on a premium route like this, availability is sporadic to begin with, and this lower pricing is even more hit-or-miss. However, if you’ve been eyeing this route, it’s worth checking your preferred travel date(s) to see if you can save 7,500 miles on your redemption.
If you are able to snag one of these awards, you’ll be in for a solid inflight experience, including full lie-flat seats and multi-course dining (which you can pre-order online). For a complete overview of what to expect, be sure to read TPG Managing Editor Alberto Riva’s review from San Francisco to New York (JFK).
Thanks to Jared T for the tip! If you come across deals like this, be sure to email them to us at email@example.com.
For more TPG news delivered each morning to your inbox, sign up for our daily newsletter here: https://thepointsguy.com/mailing-list/
WELCOME OFFER: 60,000 Points
TPG'S BONUS VALUATION*: $1,200
CARD HIGHLIGHTS: 2X points on all travel and dining, points transferrable to over a dozen travel partners
*Bonus value is an estimated value calculated by TPG and not the card issuer. View our latest valuations here.
- Earn 60,000 bonus points after you spend $4,000 on purchases in the first 3 months from account opening. That's $750 toward travel when you redeem through Chase Ultimate Rewards®
- 2X points on travel and dining at restaurants worldwide & 1 point per dollar spent on all other purchases.
- Get 25% more value when you redeem for airfare, hotels, car rentals and cruises through Chase Ultimate Rewards. For example, 60,000 points are worth $750 toward travel
- Get unlimited deliveries with a $0 delivery fee and reduced service fees on orders over $12 for a minimum of one year on qualifying food purchases with DashPass, DoorDash's subscription service. Activate by 12/31/21.
- Earn 5X points on Lyft rides through March 2022. That’s 3X points in addition to the 2X points you already earn on travel.