This post contains references to products from one or more of our advertisers. We may receive compensation when you click on links to those products. For an explanation of our Advertising Policy, visit this page.
Airfare deals are typically only available on limited dates. We recommend you use Google Flights to find dates to fly, then book through an online travel agency such as Orbitz or Expedia, which allows you to cancel flights without penalty by 11pm Eastern Time within one day of booking. However, if you’re using the American Express Platinum Card, you’ll need to book directly with the airline or through Amex Travel portal to get 5x MR points. Remember: Fares may disappear quickly, so book right away and take advantage of Orbitz or Expedia’s courtesy cancellation if you’re unable to get the time away from work or family.
Hong Kong Airlines has been making quite the impression on west coast flights to Asia ever since service launched in late 2017. We’re seeing a perfect sign of that today with flights to Manila and Bangkok as cheap as $400 round-trip.
For those not familiar with Hong Kong Airlines, you might be surprised to learn that the airline operates a brand new fleet of Airbus A350s for flights across the Pacific. Also, you can check up to two bags for free.
Unfortunately for fellow fans of Google Flights, you can’t use the popular flight search engine to easily search these flights until you select dates. Even then, Kayak routinely beats the airfares shown on Google Flights. So this is one time you’re going to want to just head to Kayak instead of Google Flights.
Airline: Hong Kong Airlines, United, Philippine Airlines, ANA
Routes: LAX/SFO to MNL/BKK/SIN/SGN
Cost: $400+ round-trip in economy
Dates: August-November 2018 and January-March 2019
Booking Link: Kayak for Hong Kong Airlines flights. Orbitz, Expedia or directly with the airline for other airlines.
Pay With: The Platinum Card from American Express (5x on airfare), Chase Sapphire Reserve, Premier Rewards Gold Card from American Express, Citi Prestige (3x on airfare plus excellent trip delay insurance) or Chase Sapphire Preferred (2x on travel)
Los Angeles (LAX) to Manila (MNL) on Hong Kong Airlines for $400 round-trip via Kayak:
San Francisco (SFO) to Manila (MNL) on Hong Kong Airlines for $418 round-trip via Kayak:
San Francisco (SFO) to Bangkok (BKK) on Hong Kong Airlines for $436 round-trip via Kayak:
Los Angeles (LAX) to Bangkok (BKK) on Hong Kong Airlines for $436 round-trip via Kayak:
Los Angeles (LAX) to Singapore (SIN) on United for $514 round-trip:
San Francisco (SFO) to Bangkok (BKK) on Philippine Airlines for $573 round-trip:
Chicago O’Hare (ORD) to Ho Chi Minh (SGN) on United/ANA for $620 round-trip:
Maximize Your Purchase
Don’t forget to use a credit card that earns additional points on airfare purchases, such as the American Express Platinum Card (5x on flights booked directly with airlines or American Express Travel), Chase Sapphire Reserve, American Express Premier Rewards Gold or Citi Prestige (3x on airfare) or the Chase Sapphire Preferred Card (2x on all travel purchases). Check out this post for more on maximizing airfare purchases.
Featured image by wichianduangsri via Getty Images.
The American Express Platinum card has some of the best perks out there: cardholders enjoy the best domestic lounge access (Delta SkyClubs, Centurion Lounges, and Priority Pass), a $200 annual airline fee credit as well as up to $200 in Uber credits, and mid-tier elite status at SPG, Marriott, and Hilton. Combined with the 60,000 point welcome offer -- worth $1,140 based on TPG's valuations -- this card is a no-brainer for frequent travelers. Here are 5 reasons you should consider this card, as well as how you can figure out if the $550 annual fee makes sense for you.
- Earn 60,000 Membership Rewards® points after you use your new Card to make $5,000 in purchases in your first 3 months.
- Up to $200 for Uber rides annually. Credit and Uber VIP status available to Basic Card Member only.
- 5X Membership Rewards® points on flights booked directly with airlines or with American Express Travel.
- 5X Membership Rewards® points on eligible hotels booked on amextravel.com.
- As a Platinum Card Member, you can enjoy access to the Global Lounge Collection, the only credit card airport lounge access program that includes proprietary lounge locations around the world.
- Receive complimentary benefits with an average total value of $550 with Fine Hotels & Resorts. Learn More.
- $200 Airline Fee Credit, up to $200 per calendar year in baggage fees and more at one qualifying airline.
- Get up to $100 in statement credits annually for purchases at Saks Fifth Avenue on your Platinum Card®. That's up to $50 in statement credits semi-annually. Enrollment required.
- $550 annual fee.
- Terms Apply.
- See Rates & Fees