Deal alert: Nonstop flights to San Juan, Puerto Rico, for $117
This post contains references to products from one or more of our advertisers. We may receive compensation when you click on links to those products. Terms apply to the offers listed on this page. For an explanation of our Advertising Policy, visit this page.
It’s Friday, which means it’s a good day to take advantage of low fares to San Juan, Puerto Rico, through this fall and into next year, courtesy of our friends at Thrifty Traveler.
Flights are available from September 2021-March 2022 from several U.S. cities, including Chicago, New York City and Atlanta, to San Juan from as low as $117 round-trip.
For more TPG news delivered each morning to your inbox, sign up for our daily newsletter.
Airline: Multiple airlines including American, United, Delta, Spirit and JetBlue.
Routes: ATL/ORD/CVG/DTW/MSP/JFK/EWR to SJU.
Cost: From $117 depending on the departure city.
Dates: Book for travel between September 2021 and March 2022.
Pay with: The Platinum Card® from American Express for 5x on airfare booked directly with the airline or through American Express Travel (on up to $500,000 on these purchases per calendar year), the Citi Prestige® Card for 5x on airfare, the Citi Premier® Card or Chase Sapphire Reserve for 3x on air travel, the American Express® Gold Card for 3x on airfare when booked directly with the airline or through Amex Travel, or the Chase Sapphire Preferred Card for 2x on travel.
The information for the Citi Prestige Card has been collected independently by The Points Guy. The card details on this page have not been reviewed or provided by the card issuer.
Round-trip flights from the below U.S. cities to SJU are available:
- Atlanta (ATL), starting at $165.
- Chicago (ORD), starting at $146.
- Cincinnati (CVG), starting at $167.
- Detroit (DTW), starting at $167.
- Minneapolis (MSP), starting at $167.
- New York (JFK), starting at $117, nonstop.
- Newark (EWR), starting at $146, nonstop.
Here is one of the Delta nonstop flights from JFK to SJU for $117 in early September.
Note that this is an economy fare, which includes one free carry-on bag. Delta basic economy fares booked for travel through Dec. 31 are eligible for free changes and cancelation for a voucher, while the other basic economy fares offered do not offer these benefits. You could of course upgrade to the main cabin for $30 to get free changes and cancelation for a voucher.
Looking ahead to October, you could get an equally cheap deal via United departing from EWR to SJU also for $117. The same rules apply as Delta’s basic economy though, regarding the $30 charge for seat selection and a carry-on bag.
Main cabin fares on American and United include a carry-on and seat assignment.
Today’s deal is particularly good news for vaccinated travelers, as fully vaccinated persons arriving in Puerto Rico are welcome without COVID-19 testing requirements. However, as of Aug. 5, Gov. Pedro Pierluisi has instituted testing and vaccination requirements for all visitor lodging, including hotels, resorts and Airbnbs. This means that you will be required to show a negative PCR test or proof of vaccination.
Unvaccinated travelers must provide results of a negative COVID-19 test taken within 72 hours of arrival in San Juan. Because Puerto Rico is a U.S. territory, no testing is required on your return flight home to the U.S.
Puerto Rico currently requires masks indoors, regardless of vaccination status.
Featured photo by Clint Henderson/The Points Guy.
Welcome to The Points Guy!
Earn 90,000 bonus miles and 10,000 Medallion® Qualification Miles (MQMs) after you spend $3,000 in purchases on your new card in the first three months of card membership. Offer ends 11/10/2021.
With Status Boost™, earn 10,000 Medallion Qualification Miles (MQMs) after you spend $25,000 in purchases on your Card in a calendar year, up to two times per year getting you closer to Medallion Status. Earn 3X Miles on Delta purchases and purchases made directly with hotels, 2X Miles at restaurants and at U.S. supermarkets and earn 1X Mile on all other eligible purchases. Terms Apply.
- Limited Time Offer: Earn 90,000 Bonus Miles and 10,000 Medallion® Qualification Miles (MQMs) after you spend $3,000 in purchases on your new Card in your first 3 months. Offer expires 11/10/2021.
- Earn up to 20,000 Medallion® Qualification Miles (MQMs) with Status Boost® per year. After you spend $25,000 in purchases on your Card in a calendar year, you can earn 10,000 MQMs two times per year, getting you closer to Medallion® Status. MQMs are used to determine Medallion® Status and are different than miles you earn toward flights.
- Earn 3X Miles on Delta purchases and purchases made directly with hotels.
- Earn 2X Miles at restaurants worldwide, including takeout and delivery and at U.S. supermarkets.
- Earn 1X Miles on all other eligible purchases.
- Receive a Domestic Main Cabin round-trip companion certificate each year upon renewal of your Card. *Payment of the government imposed taxes and fees of no more than $75 for roundtrip domestic flights (for itineraries with up to four flight segments) is required. Baggage charges and other restrictions apply. See terms and conditions for details.
- Enjoy your first checked bag free on Delta flights.
- Fee Credit for Global Entry or TSA Pre✓®.
- Enjoy an exclusive rate of $39 per person per visit to enter the Delta Sky Club® for you and up to two guests when traveling on a Delta flight.
- No Foreign Transaction Fees.
- $250 Annual Fee.
- Terms Apply.
- See Rates & Fees