Deal Alert: Free Azores Airlines Island Hopper Flight Lets You Explore Even More
This post contains references to products from one or more of our advertisers. We may receive compensation when you click on links to those products. Terms apply to the offers listed on this page. For an explanation of our Advertising Policy, visit this page.
With autumn officially upon us (though you wouldn’t know it by the temperatures in New York), along comes the close of Delta’s first summer flying directly from the US mainland to what many are calling “the next Iceland” – the Azores archipelago of Portugal. Azores Airlines, however, wants to remind you that there’s never a bad time to visit.
The airline formerly known as SATA Internacional just kicked off its Island Hopper deal, which is perfect for those looking to trek off the beaten path without spending extra. While there’s plenty to see, hike, eat and enjoy on São Miguel Island, the adventure cranks up a notch when you head to an out-island.
The sale is active now through September 30, 2018, for travel from January 10 to February 28, 2019. You’ll need to fly on a nonstop route from Boston’s Logan International Airport (BOS) to Ponta Delgada’s João Paulo II Airport (PDL), and be sure to select the “Multi-City” option at booking to slot in your other destination free of charge.
Your Island Hopper ticket can take you to any of the outlying Azores that Azores Airlines serves, including:
- Vila do Porto (SMA)
- Praia da Vitória (TER)
- Santa Cruz das Flores (FLW)
- Vila do Corvo (CVU)
- Santa Cruz da Graciosa (GRW)
- Velas (SJZ)
- Pico (PIX)
- Terceira (TER)
- Horta (HOR)
Roundtrip tickets on Azores Airlines to PDL are showing for $500 when booking trips for January and February 2019. Considering that additional roundtrip hops to any of the lesser-visited Azores islands can push $200, this deal is quite the bargain for those unsatisfied with only visiting the main island.
Airline: Azores Airlines
Routes: Inter-island Flights to SMA/TER/FLW/CVU/GRW/SJZ from PDL
Cost: Free with the purchase of a nonstop roundtrip flight between Boston (BOS) and Ponta Delgada (PDL)
Travel Dates: January 10 to February 28, 2019
Purchase By: September 30, 2018
Restrictions: Stopover: one allowed and required in Ponta Delgada for at least 2 days; Limited to flights operated by SATA | Azores Airlines and SATA | Air Açores; book online (“Multi-City” option) or through the US contact center (800-762-9995)
Azores Airlines is not a part of a carrier alliance, so you won’t earn miles for the flights. That said, you’d be wise to book your ticket using a credit card with strong airfare returns, such as The Platinum Card® from American Express (5x Amex Membership Rewards on flights purchased directly from an airline or through Amex Travel), Chase Sapphire Reserve (3x Ultimate Rewards points on all travel and dining expenses), or the Citi Premier Card (3x ThankYou points on all travel expenses).
For more on why you should consider visiting, be sure to check out TPG’s guide to the archipelago.
H/T: The Washington Post
Featured image by Mikita Karasiou via Unsplash
WELCOME OFFER: 60,000 Points
TPG'S BONUS VALUATION*: $1,200
CARD HIGHLIGHTS: 2X points on all travel and dining, points transferrable to over a dozen travel partners
*Bonus value is an estimated value calculated by TPG and not the card issuer. View our latest valuations here.
- Earn 60,000 bonus points after you spend $4,000 on purchases in the first 3 months from account opening. That's $750 toward travel when you redeem through Chase Ultimate Rewards®
- 2X points on travel and dining at restaurants worldwide & 1 point per dollar spent on all other purchases.
- Get 25% more value when you redeem for airfare, hotels, car rentals and cruises through Chase Ultimate Rewards. For example, 60,000 points are worth $750 toward travel
- No delivery fees for a minimum of one year on qualifying food purchases with a DashPass subscription from DoorDash -over a $100 value. Activate with your Chase Sapphire card by December 31, 2021.
- Earn 5X points on Lyft rides through March 2022. That’s 3X points in addition to the 2X points you already earn on travel.