Deal Alert: Flights to South America in 2021 from $232 round-trip
This post contains references to products from one or more of our advertisers. We may receive compensation when you click on links to those products. Terms apply to the offers listed on this page. For an explanation of our Advertising Policy, visit this page.
Airfare deals are typically only available on limited dates. We recommend you use Google Flights to find dates to fly, then book through an online travel agency such as Orbitz or Expedia, which allows you to cancel flights without penalty by 11pm Eastern Time within one day of booking. However, if you’re using The Platinum Card® from American Express, you’ll need to book directly with the airline or through the Amex Travel portal to get 5x MR points (on up to $500,000 on these purchases per calendar year). Remember: Fares may disappear quickly, so book right away and take advantage of Orbitz or Expedia’s courtesy cancellation if you’re unable to get the time away from work or family.
Editor’s note: The team at The Points Guy loves to travel, but now is not the time for unnecessary trips. Health officials note that the fastest way to return to normalcy is to stop coming in contact with others. That includes ceasing travel. We are publishing travel deals because we should all use this time to think about and plan our next adventures. TPG doesn’t advise booking travel until later into 2020 – and even then be mindful of cancellation policies.
If you’re planning future trips, we’ve been seeing some incredible deals recently for travel later in the year and early 2021. Right now, Avianca is offering flights from multiple U.S. cities to major South American destinations, starting as low as $232 round-trip, including nonstop options.
You can find flights from cities like New York-JFK, Miami (MIA), Los Angeles (LAX) and Washington-Dulles (IAD) to Lima (LIM), Rio de Janeiro (GIG), Sao Paulo (GRU), Porto Alegre, Brazil (POA), Buenos Aires (EZE) and Santiago, Chile (SCL). There’s lots of availability all the way through March 2021, including the normally peak holiday periods. In the Southern Hemisphere, you’ll typically experience the best weather between September and March.
For more TPG news and deals delivered each morning to your inbox, sign up for our daily newsletter.
These fares probably won’t last long so you’ll want to book quickly. To give passengers some peace of mind, Avianca is allowing all tickets purchased between now and April 30, 2020, to be changed without any fees (see the full policy here). Many of the low fares we found also include a free checked bag.
If you’d rather book your flights using miles, American Airlines is still offering discounted Web Special awards to South America from 30,000 AAdvantage miles round-trip.
To take advantage of this deal, head to Google Flights and enter your origin and destination cities. Scroll through the calendar to find dates and prices that work for you and then click through to book directly with the airline or an OTA like Priceline or Expedia.
Routes: JFK, MIA, LAX, IAD to EZE, GIG, GRU, LIM, POA, SCL
Cost: $232+ round-trip in economy
Travel Dates: May 2020-March 2021
Pay With: The Platinum Card® from American Express (5x on airfare booked directly with the airline or through American Express Travel; starting Jan. 1, 2021 earn 5x points on up to $500,000 on these purchases per calendar year), Citi Prestige® Card (5x on airfare), Chase Sapphire Reserve (3x on travel), Citi Premier® Card (3x on airfare), American Express® Gold Card (3x on airfare booked directly with the airline or ) or Chase Sapphire Preferred Card (2x on travel)
The information for the Citi Prestige has been collected independently by The Points Guy. The card details on this page have not been reviewed or provided by the card issuer.
Here’s an example of what you can book:
Miami (MIA) to Lima (LIM) for $232 round-trip nonstop on Avianca:
Los Angeles (LAX) to Lima (LIM) for $244 round-trip on Avianca via Orbitz:
Miami (MIA) to Rio de Janeiro (GIG) for $372 round-trip on Avianca:
Los Angeles (LAX) to Sao Paulo (GRU) for $388 round-trip on Avianca via Orbitz:
New York-JFK to Sao Paulo (GRU) for $448 round-trip on Avianca via Orbitz:
New York-JFK to Porto Alegre (POA) for $492 round-trip on Avianca:
Washington-Dulles (IAD) to Rio de Janeiro (GIG) for $538 round-trip on Avianca via Orbitz:
Maximize your purchase
Don’t forget to use a credit card that earns additional points on airfare purchases, such as The Platinum Card® from American Express (5x on flights booked directly with airlines or American Express Travel), Citi Prestige® Card (5x on airfare), Chase Sapphire Reserve, American Express® Gold Card, Citi Premier® Card (3x on airfare) or the Chase Sapphire Preferred Card (2x on all travel purchases). Check out this post for more on maximizing airfare purchases.
Featured photo by Nizam Ergil/EyeEm/Getty Images.
Welcome to The Points Guy!
WELCOME OFFER: 80,000 Points
TPG'S BONUS VALUATION*: $1,650
CARD HIGHLIGHTS: 2X points on all travel and dining, points transferrable to over a dozen travel partners
*Bonus value is an estimated value calculated by TPG and not the card issuer. View our latest valuations here.
- Earn 80,000 bonus points after you spend $4,000 on purchases in the first 3 months from account opening. That's $1,000 when you redeem through Chase Ultimate Rewards®. Plus earn up to $50 in statement credits towards grocery store purchases within your first year of account opening.
- Earn 2X points on dining including eligible delivery services, takeout and dining out and travel. Plus, earn 1 point per dollar spent on all other purchases.
- Get 25% more value when you redeem for airfare, hotels, car rentals and cruises through Chase Ultimate Rewards®. For example, 80,000 points are worth $1,000 toward travel.
- With Pay Yourself Back℠, your points are worth 25% more during the current offer when you redeem them for statement credits against existing purchases in select, rotating categories.
- Get unlimited deliveries with a $0 delivery fee and reduced service fees on eligible orders over $12 for a minimum of one year with DashPass, DoorDash's subscription service. Activate by 12/31/21.
- Count on Trip Cancellation/Interruption Insurance, Auto Rental Collision Damage Waiver, Lost Luggage Insurance and more.
- Get up to $60 back on an eligible Peloton Digital or All-Access Membership through 12/31/2021, and get full access to their workout library through the Peloton app, including cardio, running, strength, yoga, and more. Take classes using a phone, tablet, or TV. No fitness equipment is required.