Deal alert: Flights to Puerto Rico and Cuba from $125 round-trip
This post contains references to products from one or more of our advertisers. We may receive compensation when you click on links to those products. Terms apply to the offers listed on this page. For an explanation of our Advertising Policy, visit this page.
For more TPG news and deals delivered each morning to your inbox, sign up for our daily newsletter here: https://thepointsguy.com/mailing-list/
Flights to island destinations such as Puerto Rico and Cuba are currently available from $125 round-trip.
One of the most shocking flight deals is the round-trip, nonstop fare from Newark (EWR) to San Juan (SJU) for just $125 round-trip.
Yes, it’s in United’s basic economy but all you need to pack is a suit and some flip flops, so who needs a carry-on anyway?
If you’re interested in taking advantage of one of the low-cost Cuba fares, make sure you read this first as there’s a bit of a caveat for American tourists.
To search, head to Google Flights and enter your origin and destination cities. Scroll through the calendar function to find dates and prices that work for you. Finally, click through to book directly with the airline or through an OTA like Priceline or Expedia.
Airlines: United, Delta, American, JetBlue
Routes: EWR/MCO/BOS/MIA/CLE/ORD/DTW/LAX to SJU/HAV
Cost: $125+ round-trip in basic economy
Travel Dates: February – May 2020
Pay With: The Platinum Card® from American Express (5x on airfare booked directly with the airline), Citi Prestige® Card (5x on airfare), Citi Premier℠ Card (3x on airfare), Chase Sapphire Reserve (3x on travel), American Express® Gold Card (3x on airfare booked directly with the airline or ) or Chase Sapphire Preferred Card (2x on travel)
The information for the Citi Prestige and Citi Premier has been collected independently by The Points Guy. The card details on this page have not been reviewed or provided by the card issuer.
Here’s an example of what you can book:
Newark (EWR) to San Juan (SJU) for $125 round-trip on United:
Orlando (MCO) to San Juan (SJU) for $178 round-trip on JetBlue:
Boston (BOS) to San Juan (SJU) for $198 round-trip on JetBlue:
Miami (MIA) to Havana (HAV) for $205 round-trip on Delta:
Cleveland (CLE) to San Juan (SJU) for $236 round-trip on American:
Chicago (ORD) to San Juan (SJU) for $244 round-trip on JetBlue:
Detroit (DTW) to San Juan (SJU) for $270 round-trip on Delta:
Los Angeles (LAX) to Havana (HAV) for $283 round-trip on American:
Maximize your purchase
Don’t forget to use a credit card that earns additional points on airfare purchases, such as The Platinum Card® from American Express (5x on flights booked directly with airlines or American Express Travel), Citi Prestige® Card (5x on airfare), Chase Sapphire Reserve, American Express® Gold Card, Citi Premier℠ Card (3x on airfare) or the Chase Sapphire Preferred Card (2x on all travel purchases). Check out this post for more on maximizing airfare purchases.
Featured photo by Liz Hund/The Points Guy.
Welcome to The Points Guy!
WELCOME OFFER: 80,000 Points
TPG'S BONUS VALUATION*: $1,600
CARD HIGHLIGHTS: 2X points on all travel and dining, points transferrable to over a dozen travel partners
*Bonus value is an estimated value calculated by TPG and not the card issuer. View our latest valuations here.
- Earn 80,000 bonus points after you spend $4,000 on purchases in the first 3 months from account opening. That's $1,000 toward travel when you redeem through Chase Ultimate Rewards®.
- 2X points on travel and dining at restaurants worldwide, eligible delivery services, takeout and dining out & 1 point per dollar spent on all other purchases.
- Get 25% more value when you redeem for airfare, hotels, car rentals and cruises through Chase Ultimate Rewards. For example, 80,000 points are worth $1,000 toward travel.
- Get unlimited deliveries with a $0 delivery fee and reduced service fees on orders over $12 for a minimum of one year on qualifying food purchases with DashPass, DoorDash's subscription service. Activate by 12/31/21.
- Earn 5X points on Lyft rides through March 2022. That’s 3X points in addition to the 2X points you already earn on travel.