Deal Alert: Flights to Hawaii From $291, or Fewer Than 20,000 Points Round-Trip
This post contains references to products from one or more of our advertisers. We may receive compensation when you click on links to those products. Terms apply to the offers listed on this page. For an explanation of our Advertising Policy, visit this page.
Update: Some offers mentioned below are no longer available. View the current offers here.
Airfare deals are typically only available on limited dates. We recommend you use Google Flights to find dates to fly, then book through an online travel agency such as Orbitz or Expedia, which allows you to cancel flights without penalty by 11pm Eastern Time within one day of booking. However, if you’re using The Platinum Card® from American Express, you’ll need to book directly with the airline or through the Amex Travel portal to get 5x MR points. Remember: Fares may disappear quickly, so book right away and take advantage of Orbitz or Expedia’s courtesy cancellation if you’re unable to get the time away from work or family.
If you’re looking to head to Hawaii this winter, there are a slew of great ways to do so. Alaska has nonstop flights from the West Coast to Hawaii for just $291 round-trip, which you can book through the Chase Ultimate Rewards travel portal to pay just 19,400 points.
Also, Delta is running a flash sale, letting SkyMiles members book award flights to Hawaii. While the published routes cost no less than 28,000 miles round-trip, we found at least one that’s just 22,000 miles round-trip. At current TPG valuations, 22,000 SkyMiles are worth approximately $264. Adding in taxes and fees starting at $11, this is equivalent to scoring flights to Hawaii for just $275 round-trip.
Finally, American Airlines has some Economy Web Special routes to Hawaii that are currently starting at just 24,000 miles. At current TPG valuations, 24,000 AAdvantage miles are worth around $336. With taxes/fees of $11, this is like paying $347 round-trip.
Airline: Alaska, Delta, American Airlines
Routes: SAN/OAK/SEA/PDX/LAX/SEA to KOA/LIH/HNL
Cost: $291+, 19,400 points or 22,000 miles round-trip in economy
Travel Dates: February – May or August – December
Pay With: The Platinum Card® from American Express (5x on airfare), Chase Sapphire Reserve, American Express® Gold Card, Citi Premier® Card, Citi Prestige (5x on airfare plus trip delay insurance) or Chase Sapphire Preferred Card (2x on travel)
Here are a few examples of what you can book:
San Diego (SAN) to Kona (KOA) for $291 or 19,413 Chase Ultimate Rewards points round-trip:
Oakland (OAK) to Kona (KOA) for $291 or 19,413 Chase Ultimate Rewards points round-trip:
Seattle (SEA) to Kona (KOA) for $299 or 19,946 Chase Ultimate Rewards points round-trip:
Portland (PDX) to Lihue (LIH) for $299 or 19,946 Chase Ultimate Rewards points round-trip:
San Diego (SAN) to Lihue (LIH) for 22,000 SkyMiles + $11 round-trip:
Los Angeles (LAX) to Honolulu (HNL) for 24,000 AAdvantage miles + $11 round-trip nonstop:
Seattle (SEA) to Lihue (LIH) for 28,000 SkyMiles + $11 round-trip nonstop:
Los Angeles (LAX) to Lihue (LIH) for 29,000 SkyMiles + $11 round-trip nonstop:
Los Angeles (LAX) to Kona (KOA) for 30,000 SkyMiles + $11 round-trip nonstop:
Maximize Your Purchase
Don’t forget to use a credit card that earns additional points on airfare purchases to pay the taxes and fees, such as the Platinum Card® from American Express (5x on flights booked directly with airlines or American Express Travel), American Express® Gold Card, Chase Sapphire Reserve, Citi Premier, Citi Prestige (5x on airfare) or the Chase Sapphire Preferred Card (2x on all travel purchases). Check out this post for more on maximizing airfare purchases.
Featured image by M Swiet Productions / Getty Images.
Welcome to The Points Guy!
WELCOME OFFER: 100,000 Points Terms Apply.
TPG'S BONUS VALUATION*: $2,000
CARD HIGHLIGHTS: Delta Sky Club and Centurion lounge access, up to $200 annual airline fee credit and up to $200 in Uber Cash annually (only for use in the U.S.) (Enrollment required for select benefits)
*Bonus value is an estimated value calculated by TPG and not the card issuer. View our latest valuations here.
- Earn 100,000 Membership Rewards® points after you spend $6,000 on purchases on your new Card in your first 6 months of Card Membership. Apply and select your preferred metal Card design: classic Platinum Card®, Platinum x Kehinde Wiley, or Platinum x Julie Mehretu.
- Earn 5X Membership Rewards® Points for flights booked directly with airlines or with American Express Travel up to $500,000 on these purchases per calendar year and earn 5X Membership Rewards® Points on prepaid hotels booked with American Express Travel.
- Get $200 back in statement credits each year on prepaid Fine Hotels + Resorts® or The Hotel Collection bookings, which requires a minimum two-night stay, through American Express Travel when you pay with your Platinum Card®. And if you fly, you can receive up to $200 in statement credits per calendar year after you select a qualifying airline and incidental fees are charged by the airline to your Platinum Card®.
- $240 Digital Entertainment Credit: Get up to $20 back each month on eligible purchases made with your Platinum Card® on one or more of the following: Audible, Disney+, The Disney Bundle, ESPN+, Hulu, Peacock, SiriusXM, and The New York Times. Enrollment required.
- $155 Walmart+ Credit: Cover the cost of a $12.95 monthly Walmart+ membership with a statement credit after you pay for Walmart+ each month with your Platinum Card. Cost includes $12.95 plus applicable local sales tax. Plus Ups are excluded.
- American Express has expanded The Centurion® Network to include 40+ Centurion Lounge and Studio locations worldwide. There are even more places your Platinum Card® can get you complimentary entry and exclusive perks.
- $200 Airline Fee Credit: Get up to $200 in statement credits per calendar year in baggage fees and more at one select qualifying airline.
- $200 Uber Cash: Enjoy Uber VIP status and up to $200 in Uber savings on rides or eats orders in the US annually. Uber Cash and Uber VIP status is available to Basic Card Member only.
- $300 Equinox Credit: Get up to $25 back each month on the Equinox+ digital fitness app, or eligible Equinox club memberships when you pay with your Platinum Card®. Enrollment required.
- $189 CLEAR® Credit: Use your Card and get up to $189 back per year on your CLEAR® membership. CLEAR® is available at select airports and stadiums.
- $695 annual fee.
- Terms Apply.
- See Rates & Fees