Deal Alert: Flights to Hawaii From $291, or Fewer Than 20,000 Points Round-Trip
Airfare deals are typically only available on limited dates. We recommend you use Google Flights to find dates to fly, then book through an online travel agency such as Orbitz or Expedia, which allows you to cancel flights without penalty by 11pm Eastern Time within one day of booking. However, if you’re using The Platinum Card® from American Express, you’ll need to book directly with the airline or through the Amex Travel portal to get 5x MR points. Remember: Fares may disappear quickly, so book right away and take advantage of Orbitz or Expedia’s courtesy cancellation if you’re unable to get the time away from work or family.
If you’re looking to head to Hawaii this winter, there are a slew of great ways to do so. Alaska has nonstop flights from the West Coast to Hawaii for just $291 round-trip, which you can book through the Chase Ultimate Rewards travel portal to pay just 19,400 points.
Also, Delta is running a flash sale, letting SkyMiles members book award flights to Hawaii. While the published routes cost no less than 28,000 miles round-trip, we found at least one that’s just 22,000 miles round-trip. At current TPG valuations, 22,000 SkyMiles are worth approximately $264. Adding in taxes and fees starting at $11, this is equivalent to scoring flights to Hawaii for just $275 round-trip.
Finally, American Airlines has some Economy Web Special routes to Hawaii that are currently starting at just 24,000 miles. At current TPG valuations, 24,000 AAdvantage miles are worth around $336. With taxes/fees of $11, this is like paying $347 round-trip.
Airline: Alaska, Delta, American Airlines
Routes: SAN/OAK/SEA/PDX/LAX/SEA to KOA/LIH/HNL
Cost: $291+, 19,400 points or 22,000 miles round-trip in economy
Travel Dates: February – May or August – December
Pay With: The Platinum Card® from American Express (5x on airfare), Chase Sapphire Reserve, American Express® Gold Card, Citi Premier® Card, Citi Prestige (5x on airfare plus trip delay insurance) or Chase Sapphire Preferred Card (2x on travel)
Here are a few examples of what you can book:
San Diego (SAN) to Kona (KOA) for $291 or 19,413 Chase Ultimate Rewards points round-trip:
Oakland (OAK) to Kona (KOA) for $291 or 19,413 Chase Ultimate Rewards points round-trip:
Seattle (SEA) to Kona (KOA) for $299 or 19,946 Chase Ultimate Rewards points round-trip:
Portland (PDX) to Lihue (LIH) for $299 or 19,946 Chase Ultimate Rewards points round-trip:
San Diego (SAN) to Lihue (LIH) for 22,000 SkyMiles + $11 round-trip:
Los Angeles (LAX) to Honolulu (HNL) for 24,000 AAdvantage miles + $11 round-trip nonstop:
Seattle (SEA) to Lihue (LIH) for 28,000 SkyMiles + $11 round-trip nonstop:
Los Angeles (LAX) to Lihue (LIH) for 29,000 SkyMiles + $11 round-trip nonstop:
Los Angeles (LAX) to Kona (KOA) for 30,000 SkyMiles + $11 round-trip nonstop:
Maximize Your Purchase
Don’t forget to use a credit card that earns additional points on airfare purchases to pay the taxes and fees, such as the Platinum Card® from American Express (5x on flights booked directly with airlines or American Express Travel), American Express® Gold Card, Chase Sapphire Reserve, Citi Premier, Citi Prestige (5x on airfare) or the Chase Sapphire Preferred Card (2x on all travel purchases). Check out this post for more on maximizing airfare purchases.
Featured image by M Swiet Productions / Getty Images.
Welcome to The Points Guy!
WELCOME OFFER: 100,000 Points Terms Apply.
TPG'S BONUS VALUATION*: $2,000
CARD HIGHLIGHTS: Delta Sky Club and Centurion lounge access, up to $200 annual airline fee credit and up to $200 in Uber Cash annually (only for use in the U.S.) (Enrollment required for select benefits)
*Bonus value is an estimated value calculated by TPG and not the card issuer. View our latest valuations here.
- Earn 100,000 Membership Rewards® Points after you spend $6,000 on purchases on the Card in your first 6 months of Card Membership.
- Plus, earn 10x points on eligible purchases on the Card at restaurants worldwide and when you Shop Small in the U.S., on up to $25,000 in combined purchases, during your first 6 months of Card Membership.
- Earn 5X Membership Rewards® Points for flights booked directly with airlines or with American Express Travel up to $500,000 on these purchases per calendar year.
- Earn 5X Membership Rewards® Points on prepaid hotels booked with American Express Travel.
- $200 Hotel Credit: Get $200 back in statement credits each year on prepaid Fine Hotels + Resorts® or The Hotel Collection bookings with American Express Travel when you pay with your Platinum Card®.
- $240 Digital Entertainment Credit: Get up to $20 in statement credits each month when you pay for eligible purchases with the Platinum Card® at your choice of one or more of the following providers: Peacock, Audible, SiriusXM, and The New York Times. Enrollment required.
- New! American Express has expanded The Centurion® Network to include 40+ Centurion Lounge and Studio locations worldwide. Now there are even more places your Platinum Card® can get you complimentary entry and exclusive perks.
- $200 Airline Fee Credit: Get up to $200 in statement credits per calendar year in baggage fees and more at one qualifying airline.
- $200 Uber Cash: Enjoy Uber VIP status and up to $200 in Uber savings on rides or eats orders in the US annually. Uber Cash and Uber VIP status available to Basic Card Member only.
- $300 Equinox Credit: Get up to $25 back each month on select Equinox memberships. Enrollment required.
- $179 CLEAR® Credit: Use your Card and get up to $179 back per year on your CLEAR® membership.
- $695 Annual Fee.
- Terms Apply.
- See Rates & Fees