Deal alert: American Airlines award flights around the country just dropped to 5,000 miles one-way
This post contains references to products from one or more of our advertisers. We may receive compensation when you click on links to those products. Terms apply to the offers listed on this page. For an explanation of our Advertising Policy, visit this page.
Airfare deals are typically only available on limited dates. We recommend you use Google Flights to find dates to fly, then book through an online travel agency such as Orbitz or Expedia, which allows you to cancel flights without penalty by 11pm Eastern Time within one day of booking. However, if you’re using The Platinum Card® from American Express, you’ll need to book directly with the airline or through the Amex Travel portal to get 5x MR points (on up to $500,000 on these purchases per calendar year). Remember: Fares may disappear quickly, so book right away and take advantage of Orbitz or Expedia’s courtesy cancellation if you’re unable to get the time away from work or family.
American Airlines’s “web special” prices for award flights in premium economy, business class and first class can be hit or miss. But it can really pay off to have a stash of AAdvantage miles for those times when dynamic awards pricing gets good.
Now is one of those times. As first reported by View from the Wing, AA Economy Web Specials have been widely discounted across the United States, down to just 5,000 miles one-way in many cases. Better yet, you’ll find these low rates on hundreds of routes, including from many small and mid-size cities.
These web specials come with some minor restrictions. First, you’ll need to book and ticket these awards online; they can’t be booked over the phone with an agent. Also, you won’t be able to change these flights. However, you can cancel the award and pay a reinstatement fee of $150 for the first ticket and $25 per additional ticket. These fees are waived for Executive Platinum elites, even for web special awards.
The good news is that these awards don’t have American Airlines basic economy limitations, so you’ll be able to select a seat.
Airline: American Airlines
Routes: between AUS/PB I/DEN/EYW/MRY/PWM/LAX/PHX/JFK/IAH/ATL/BOS/ORD/IAD/MIA and many more
Cost: from 5,000 AAdvantage miles + $5.60 taxes and fees one-way
Dates: select dates, March through September 2020
Pay Taxes and Fees With: Chase Sapphire Reserve (3x on airfare) or Chase Sapphire Preferred Card (2x on travel) for travel protections on the award flight
There are literally hundreds of routes on sale, including a handful to London and Paris. But here are just a few examples of what you can book.
Austin (AUS) to Portland, Maine (PWM) for 5,000 AA miles + $5.60 one-way:
Denver (DEN) to Key West (EYW) for 5,000 AA miles + $5.60 one-way:
(PBI) to Carmel/Monterey, California (MRY) for 5,000 AA miles + $5.60 one-way:
Boise (BOI) to Washington, D.C. (DCA) for 5,000 AA miles + $5.60 one-way:
Remember, these are just examples. You can plug in your own dates by going to this award map and inputting the date of departure and destination.
Boosting your AAdvantage balance
There are a variety of ways to earn American miles — from AA-operated flights to trips on Oneworld airlines to various non-travel partners. However, one of the best ways to boost your American Airlines AAdvantage balance to score a few free trips is by adding one of these cards to your arsenal:
- Citi® / AAdvantage® Executive World Elite Mastercard®: 50,000 miles after you spend $5,000 on purchases in the first three months of account opening. Plus Admirals Club access for yourself and up to 10 authorized users
- CitiBusiness® / AAdvantage® Platinum Select® Mastercard®: 65,000 American Airlines AAdvantage® bonus miles after spending $4,000 in purchases within the first four months of account opening.
- American Airlines AAdvantage MileUp℠ Card: 10,000 miles and a $50 statement credit after you spend $500 on purchases in the first three months of account opening — with no annual fee
The information for the CitiBusiness AAdvantage Platinum card has been collected independently by The Points Guy. The card details on this page have not been reviewed or provided by the card issuer.
Featured photo by Robert Alexander/Getty Images.
Welcome to The Points Guy!
WELCOME OFFER: 60,000 Points
TPG'S BONUS VALUATION*: $1,200
CARD HIGHLIGHTS: 2X points on all travel and dining, points transferrable to over a dozen travel partners
*Bonus value is an estimated value calculated by TPG and not the card issuer. View our latest valuations here.
- Earn 60,000 bonus points after you spend $4,000 on purchases in the first 3 months from account opening. That's $750 when you redeem through Chase Ultimate Rewards®. Plus earn up to $50 in statement credits towards grocery store purchases.
- 2X points on dining at restaurants including eligible delivery services, takeout and dining out and travel & 1 point per dollar spent on all other purchases.
- Get 25% more value when you redeem for travel through Chase Ultimate Rewards®. For example, 60,000 points are worth $750 toward travel.
- With Pay Yourself Back℠, your points are worth 25% more during the current offer when you redeem them for statement credits against existing purchases in select, rotating categories.
- Get unlimited deliveries with a $0 delivery fee and reduced service fees on eligible orders over $12 for a minimum of one year with DashPass, DoorDash's subscription service. Activate by 12/31/21.
- Earn 2x total points on up to $1,000 in grocery store purchases per month from November 1, 2020 to April 30, 2021. Includes eligible pick-up and delivery services.