Deal alert: American Airlines award flights around the country just dropped to 5,000 miles one-way
This post contains references to products from one or more of our advertisers. We may receive compensation when you click on links to those products. Terms apply to the offers listed on this page. For an explanation of our Advertising Policy, visit this page.
American Airlines’s “web special” prices for award flights in premium economy, business class and first class can be hit or miss. But it can really pay off to have a stash of AAdvantage miles for those times when dynamic awards pricing gets good.
Now is one of those times. As first reported by View from the Wing, AA Economy Web Specials have been widely discounted across the United States, down to just 5,000 miles one-way in many cases. Better yet, you’ll find these low rates on hundreds of routes, including from many small and mid-size cities.
These web specials come with some minor restrictions. First, you’ll need to book and ticket these awards online; they can’t be booked over the phone with an agent. Also, you won’t be able to change these flights. However, you can cancel the award and pay a reinstatement fee of $150 for the first ticket and $25 per additional ticket. These fees are waived for Executive Platinum elites, even for web special awards.
The good news is that these awards don’t have American Airlines basic economy limitations, so you’ll be able to select a seat.
Airline: American Airlines
Routes: between AUS/PB I/DEN/EYW/MRY/PWM/LAX/PHX/JFK/IAH/ATL/BOS/ORD/IAD/MIA and many more
Cost: from 5,000 AAdvantage miles + $5.60 taxes and fees one-way
Dates: select dates, March through September 2020
Pay Taxes and Fees With: Chase Sapphire Reserve (3x on airfare) or Chase Sapphire Preferred Card (2x on travel) for travel protections on the award flight
There are literally hundreds of routes on sale, including a handful to London and Paris. But here are just a few examples of what you can book.
Austin (AUS) to Portland, Maine (PWM) for 5,000 AA miles + $5.60 one-way:
Denver (DEN) to Key West (EYW) for 5,000 AA miles + $5.60 one-way:
(PBI) to Carmel/Monterey, California (MRY) for 5,000 AA miles + $5.60 one-way:
Boise (BOI) to Washington, D.C. (DCA) for 5,000 AA miles + $5.60 one-way:
Remember, these are just examples. You can plug in your own dates by going to this award map and inputting the date of departure and destination.
Boosting your AAdvantage balance
There are a variety of ways to earn American miles — from AA-operated flights to trips on Oneworld airlines to various non-travel partners. However, one of the best ways to boost your American Airlines AAdvantage balance to score a few free trips is by adding one of these cards to your arsenal:
- Citi® / AAdvantage® Executive World Elite Mastercard®: 50,000 miles after you spend $5,000 on purchases in the first three months of account opening. Plus Admirals Club access for yourself and up to 10 authorized users
- CitiBusiness® / AAdvantage® Platinum Select® Mastercard®: 65,000 American Airlines AAdvantage® bonus miles after spending $4,000 in purchases within the first four months of account opening.
- American Airlines AAdvantage MileUp℠ Card: 10,000 miles and a $50 statement credit after you spend $500 on purchases in the first three months of account opening — with no annual fee
The information for the CitiBusiness AAdvantage Platinum card has been collected independently by The Points Guy. The card details on this page have not been reviewed or provided by the card issuer.
Featured photo by Robert Alexander/Getty Images.
Welcome to The Points Guy!
Earn 90,000 bonus miles and 10,000 Medallion® Qualification Miles (MQMs) after you spend $3,000 in purchases on your new card in the first three months of card membership. Offer ends 11/10/2021.
With Status Boost™, earn 10,000 Medallion Qualification Miles (MQMs) after you spend $25,000 in purchases on your Card in a calendar year, up to two times per year getting you closer to Medallion Status. Earn 3X Miles on Delta purchases and purchases made directly with hotels, 2X Miles at restaurants and at U.S. supermarkets and earn 1X Mile on all other eligible purchases. Terms Apply.
- Limited Time Offer: Earn 90,000 Bonus Miles and 10,000 Medallion® Qualification Miles (MQMs) after you spend $3,000 in purchases on your new Card in your first 3 months. Offer expires 11/10/2021.
- Earn up to 20,000 Medallion® Qualification Miles (MQMs) with Status Boost® per year. After you spend $25,000 in purchases on your Card in a calendar year, you can earn 10,000 MQMs two times per year, getting you closer to Medallion® Status. MQMs are used to determine Medallion® Status and are different than miles you earn toward flights.
- Earn 3X Miles on Delta purchases and purchases made directly with hotels.
- Earn 2X Miles at restaurants worldwide, including takeout and delivery and at U.S. supermarkets.
- Earn 1X Miles on all other eligible purchases.
- Receive a Domestic Main Cabin round-trip companion certificate each year upon renewal of your Card. *Payment of the government imposed taxes and fees of no more than $75 for roundtrip domestic flights (for itineraries with up to four flight segments) is required. Baggage charges and other restrictions apply. See terms and conditions for details.
- Enjoy your first checked bag free on Delta flights.
- Fee Credit for Global Entry or TSA Pre✓®.
- Enjoy an exclusive rate of $39 per person per visit to enter the Delta Sky Club® for you and up to two guests when traveling on a Delta flight.
- No Foreign Transaction Fees.
- $250 Annual Fee.
- Terms Apply.
- See Rates & Fees