Deal alert: Fly nonstop to Costa Rica from $204
This post contains references to products from one or more of our advertisers. We may receive compensation when you click on links to those products. Terms apply to the offers listed on this page. For an explanation of our Advertising Policy, visit this page.
It’s time to look ahead to fall and plan a trip to bask in the lush rainforests and intoxicating beaches of Costa Rica. There is a great sale on flights to the popular Central American destination. And while most of the best deals are for fall travel, you may be able to secure some great bargains for a late summer vacation. A lot of the flights in this sale involve a layover, but we did find a few nonstops, too.
As we like to remind you with these fare sales, United and JetBlue’s lowest-price tickets don’t include a full-size carry-on. So expect an upgrade to a fare that includes bags to cost you around $40 each way. Checked luggage normally costs $30-$35 each way on most airlines.
The best availability is for travel between August of this year and March 2023. Holidays are excluded from this sale. As always, have a few different travel dates in mind if you can. It will help you get the best possible prices.
Want more TPG news delivered every morning to your inbox? Sign up for our daily newsletter.
Our thanks to Scott’s Cheap Flights for tipping us off to this new deal. Its basic membership is available for $49 per year. The Elite tier option is available for $199 per year, and that provides you with access to deals on premium economy, business class and first class tickets.
Airlines: American, Delta, JetBlue, United.
Routes: Albany, Atlanta, Baltimore, Dallas, Denver, Los Angeles and other cities to San Jose, Costa Rica.
How to book: Search Google Flights and book directly through the airline.
Travel dates: Availability from August through March 2023; holidays are excluded.
If you live in Miami, you have a wide range of fares to choose from. This route on American in March is only $209 round trip, and it includes a nonstop return flight. We found similar prices for several flights from Miami International Airport (MIA) to San Jose in February.
There are lots of flights available from Los Angeles (LAX) to San Jose. In fact, the further out you can plan your travel, the cheaper the tickets get. We found this itinerary in late February on United for only $204 for a nonstop. It’s basic economy so you’ll have to pay to upgrade for a free full-size carry-on, but at this low price, it’s worth doing so.
This January itinerary on American is slightly more expensive at $218, and it involves a layover each way, but it’s a fantastic price for a trip to Costa Rica that time of year.
Baltimore (BWI) to San Jose can be booked for as low as $284 round-trip, with a layover each way, on American in November and December. Keep in mind that many of the lowest prices we saw for this route in December involved flights with two stops.
If you want to swap out the mountains for the rainforest in the fall, American has reduced flights from Denver (DEN) to Costa Rica from September through December. Just as with Baltimore, we noticed that a lot of the best prices involved flights with two stops. But here’s one we found with just one layover each way for only $298 round-trip.
You can find discounted flights to San Jose from both Houston Airports. This November ticket from George Bush Intercontinental Airport (IAH) costs just $328, a nice discount from the usual price for that time of year.
One last notable fare we found was another American Airlines ticket, this one from New York City (LGA) to San Jose in February for $254 round-trip. That’s a big markdown from what this route typically costs in the winter.
Maximize your purchase
Pay with: The Platinum Card® from American Express for 5 points per dollar on airfare booked directly with the airline or through American Express Travel (on up to $500,000 on these purchases per calendar year), the Citi Prestige® Card for 5 points per dollar on airfare, the Citi Premier® Card or Chase Sapphire Reserve for 3 points per dollar on air travel, the American Express® Gold Card for 3 points per dollar on airfare when booked directly with the airline or through Amex Travel or the Chase Sapphire Preferred Card for 2 points per dollar on travel.
The information for the Citi Prestige Card has been collected independently by The Points Guy. The card details on this page have not been reviewed or provided by the card issuer.
Featured photo by Megan Joyner/Getty Images.
Welcome to The Points Guy!
Earn 90,000 bonus miles after you spend $3,000 in purchases on your new Card in your first 3 months. Offer ends 8/3/2022.
With Status Boost™, earn 10,000 Medallion Qualification Miles (MQMs) after you spend $25,000 in purchases on your Card in a calendar year, up to two times per year getting you closer to Medallion Status. Earn 3X Miles on Delta purchases and purchases made directly with hotels, 2X Miles at restaurants and at U.S. supermarkets and earn 1X Mile on all other eligible purchases. Terms Apply.
- Limited Time Offer: Earn 90,000 bonus miles after you spend $3,000 in purchases on your new Card in your first 3 months. Offer ends 8/3/2022.
- Earn up to 20,000 Medallion® Qualification Miles (MQMs) with Status Boost® per year. After you spend $25,000 in purchases on your Card in a calendar year, you can earn 10,000 MQMs up to two times per year, getting you closer to Medallion® Status. MQMs are used to determine Medallion® Status and are different than miles you earn toward flights.
- Earn 3X Miles on Delta purchases and purchases made directly with hotels.
- Earn 2X Miles at restaurants worldwide including takeout and delivery in the U.S., and at U.S. supermarkets.
- Earn 1X Miles on all other eligible purchases.
- Receive a Domestic Main Cabin round-trip companion certificate each year upon renewal of your Card. Payment of the government imposed taxes and fees of no more than $80 for roundtrip domestic flights (for itineraries with up to four flight segments) is required. Baggage charges and other restrictions apply. See terms and conditions for details.
- Enjoy your first checked bag free on Delta flights.
- Fee Credit for Global Entry or TSA PreCheck® after you apply through any Authorized Enrollment Provider. If approved for Global Entry, at no additional charge, you will receive access to TSA PreCheck.
- Enjoy an exclusive rate of $39 per person per visit to enter the Delta Sky Club® for you and up to two guests when traveling on a Delta flight.
- No Foreign Transaction Fees.
- $250 Annual Fee.
- Terms Apply.
- See Rates & Fees