Deal alert: Fly to Cartagena, Colombia, for less than $300 round-trip
This post contains references to products from one or more of our advertisers. We may receive compensation when you click on links to those products. Terms apply to the offers listed on this page. For an explanation of our Advertising Policy, visit this page.
There is an outstanding sale happening now on flights to South America. Specifically, the bargains can be had for a trip to Cartagena, Colombia. The colonial port city, the country’s fifth-largest, is an ideal place to take in some of the best Colombia has to offer. American and JetBlue have round-trip fares available for less than $300, which is a savings of more than 50% off normal ticket prices. Flights from cities such as Miami and Fort Lauderdale have the added benefit of being nonstop routes.
The start of the new year is a great time to visit Colombia. It’s the dry season, so you get a bit of a break from Colombia’s notorious humidity. There is also the added benefit that during this time of chaotic travel, Colombia is one of the easiest international destinations to visit at the moment.
The JetBlue offerings are for main cabin seats, while the American tickets are in basic economy. As always with deals like this, availability varies widely depending on your departure city and when you want to travel. The more flexible you are, the greater your chances of finding a great price.
Want your TPG news delivered straight to your inbox each morning? Sign up for our daily newsletter
We got the heads up about this great deal from our friends at Thrifty Traveler Premium, who first sent it out to their subscribers.
Non-members can find sale prices by using Google Flights to search for desired routes and dates.
Airlines: American, JetBlue
Routes: CLE/FLL/IND/JAX/JFK/MIA/MCO/ORF/RIC to Cartagena, Colombia (CTG)
Cost: From $270 round-trip
Dates: January — October 2022; availability varies but best between January — March
Pay with: The Platinum Card® from American Express for 5x on airfare booked directly with the airline or through American Express Travel (on up to $500,000 on these purchases per calendar year); the Citi Prestige® Card for 5x on airfare; the Citi Premier® Card (3x on air travel); Chase Sapphire Reserve (3x on air travel); the American Express® Gold Card for 3x on airfare when booked directly with the airline or through Amex Travel or the Chase Sapphire Preferred Card for 2x on travel — which you could redeem for as little as 13,000 points.
The information for the Citi Prestige Card has been collected independently by The Points Guy. The card details on this page have not been reviewed or provided by the card issuer.
How does Miami (MIA) to Cartagena for $270 sound? You can book a basic economy ticket on American in March at this price. We also saw this same price available for flights in April. Prices were a bit higher in January and February.
You can also fly from Jacksonville, Florida (JAX), to Cartagena in April for $358.
On the East Coast, we found fares for nonstop flights on JetBlue from New York City (JFK) to Colombia for just $326, a significant savings from normal prices. That’s for a main cabin seat, too (as opposed to the carrier’s Blue Basic fares). There’s pretty good availability for tickets at this price across January and February. Prices for this route are much more expensive in March and April, so having flexibility in your travel schedule could really pay off here.
In addition, American has $358 seats available from Cleveland (CLE) to Cartagena. The best availability for these prices was in January, certainly a nice time to exit Ohio and head to the warmer climes of Colombia.
Maximize your purchase
Don’t forget to use a card that earns bonus points on airfare purchases, like The Platinum Card® from American Express for 5x on airfare booked directly with the airline or through American Express Travel (on up to $500,000 on these purchases per calendar year); the Citi Prestige® Card for 5x on airfare; the Citi Premier® Card (3x on air travel); Chase Sapphire Reserve (3x on air travel); the American Express® Gold Card for 3x on airfare when booked directly with the airline or through Amex Travel or the Chase Sapphire Preferred Card for 2x on travel — which you could redeem for as little as 13,000 points.
If visiting South America is on your 2022 to-do list, get to work and don’t pass up these fares.
Featured image by Enzo Figueres for Getty Images.
Welcome to The Points Guy!
Earn 90,000 bonus miles after you spend $3,000 in purchases on your new Card in your first 3 months. Offer ends 8/3/2022.
With Status Boost™, earn 10,000 Medallion Qualification Miles (MQMs) after you spend $25,000 in purchases on your Card in a calendar year, up to two times per year getting you closer to Medallion Status. Earn 3X Miles on Delta purchases and purchases made directly with hotels, 2X Miles at restaurants and at U.S. supermarkets and earn 1X Mile on all other eligible purchases. Terms Apply.
- Limited Time Offer: Earn 90,000 bonus miles after you spend $3,000 in purchases on your new Card in your first 3 months. Offer ends 8/3/2022.
- Earn up to 20,000 Medallion® Qualification Miles (MQMs) with Status Boost® per year. After you spend $25,000 in purchases on your Card in a calendar year, you can earn 10,000 MQMs up to two times per year, getting you closer to Medallion® Status. MQMs are used to determine Medallion® Status and are different than miles you earn toward flights.
- Earn 3X Miles on Delta purchases and purchases made directly with hotels.
- Earn 2X Miles at restaurants worldwide including takeout and delivery in the U.S., and at U.S. supermarkets.
- Earn 1X Miles on all other eligible purchases.
- Receive a Domestic Main Cabin round-trip companion certificate each year upon renewal of your Card. Payment of the government imposed taxes and fees of no more than $80 for roundtrip domestic flights (for itineraries with up to four flight segments) is required. Baggage charges and other restrictions apply. See terms and conditions for details.
- Enjoy your first checked bag free on Delta flights.
- Fee Credit for Global Entry or TSA PreCheck® after you apply through any Authorized Enrollment Provider. If approved for Global Entry, at no additional charge, you will receive access to TSA PreCheck.
- Enjoy an exclusive rate of $39 per person per visit to enter the Delta Sky Club® for you and up to two guests when traveling on a Delta flight.
- No Foreign Transaction Fees.
- $250 Annual Fee.
- Terms Apply.
- See Rates & Fees