South Africa deal alert: Fly to Cape Town for less than $700 round trip
This post contains references to products from one or more of our advertisers. We may receive compensation when you click on links to those products. Terms apply to the offers listed on this page. For an explanation of our Advertising Policy, visit this page.
Cape Town is truly one of the world’s most magnificent cities. From mountains, oceans and beaches to vineyards and wildlife areas, the city is truly a must-stop in South Africa. Plus, it’s filled with a mix of cosmopolitan hotels, dining spots and only-here cultural icons.
Because these flights are in the fall shoulder season – September through November – visitors can expect spring weather in the Southern Hemisphere. This includes blooming flowers in spots around Cape Town, such as the beautiful Kirstenbosch National Botanical Gardens. The gardens sit on the outskirts of the city near the Constantia wine area, making for a perfect afternoon excursion.
Thanks to The Flight Deal for bringing this long-haul deal to our attention.
Want more TPG news delivered every morning to your inbox? Sign up for our daily newsletter.
Routes: Dulles International Airport (IAD) to Cape Town International Airport (CPT).
How to book: Directly through the airline.
Travel dates: Starting September 2022 through November 2022. Use the flexible date finder to pinpoint dates for the best fares.
Book by: We think these fares will last a day or two.
There are several dates that work for this deal in October and November, plus a few more just a few dollars more.
We were also able to find a few dates in September. Note that all flights for this route have layovers in Europe. In regard to the routes we found, the layovers were mostly in Amsterdam and Paris, and lasted three hours or less.
Maximize your purchase
When booking your travel to South Africa, don’t forget to use a card that earns bonus points on airfare purchases, such as The Platinum Card® from American Express (5 points per dollar on airfare booked directly with the airline or through American Express Travel, on up to $500,000 on these purchases per calendar year), Citi Prestige® Card (5 points per dollar on airfare), Citi Premier® Card, Chase Sapphire Reserve (3 points per dollar on airfare), American Express® Gold Card (3 points per dollar on airfare when booked directly with the airline or through Amex Travel) or the Chase Sapphire Preferred Card (2 points per dollar on travel). Also, check out this post for more on maximizing airfare purchases.
The information for the Citi Prestige Card has been collected independently by The Points Guy. The card details on this page have not been reviewed or provided by the card issuer.
A chance to visit Cape Town for less than current prices to Europe (or even to the West Coast in many instances) is reason enough to jump on this deal. However, the lovely weather in the fall months and a chance to experience this South African gem make this deal even better.
Featured photo courtesy of Getty Images.
Welcome to The Points Guy!
Earn 90,000 bonus miles after you spend $3,000 in purchases on your new Card in your first 3 months. Offer ends 8/3/2022.
With Status Boost™, earn 10,000 Medallion Qualification Miles (MQMs) after you spend $25,000 in purchases on your Card in a calendar year, up to two times per year getting you closer to Medallion Status. Earn 3X Miles on Delta purchases and purchases made directly with hotels, 2X Miles at restaurants and at U.S. supermarkets and earn 1X Mile on all other eligible purchases. Terms Apply.
- Limited Time Offer: Earn 90,000 bonus miles after you spend $3,000 in purchases on your new Card in your first 3 months. Offer ends 8/3/2022.
- Earn up to 20,000 Medallion® Qualification Miles (MQMs) with Status Boost® per year. After you spend $25,000 in purchases on your Card in a calendar year, you can earn 10,000 MQMs up to two times per year, getting you closer to Medallion® Status. MQMs are used to determine Medallion® Status and are different than miles you earn toward flights.
- Earn 3X Miles on Delta purchases and purchases made directly with hotels.
- Earn 2X Miles at restaurants worldwide including takeout and delivery in the U.S., and at U.S. supermarkets.
- Earn 1X Miles on all other eligible purchases.
- Receive a Domestic Main Cabin round-trip companion certificate each year upon renewal of your Card. Payment of the government imposed taxes and fees of no more than $80 for roundtrip domestic flights (for itineraries with up to four flight segments) is required. Baggage charges and other restrictions apply. See terms and conditions for details.
- Enjoy your first checked bag free on Delta flights.
- Fee Credit for Global Entry or TSA PreCheck® after you apply through any Authorized Enrollment Provider. If approved for Global Entry, at no additional charge, you will receive access to TSA PreCheck.
- Enjoy an exclusive rate of $39 per person per visit to enter the Delta Sky Club® for you and up to two guests when traveling on a Delta flight.
- No Foreign Transaction Fees.
- $250 Annual Fee.
- Terms Apply.
- See Rates & Fees