Deal alert: Visit the Canary Islands with 50% reduced fares
This post contains references to products from one or more of our advertisers. We may receive compensation when you click on links to those products. Terms apply to the offers listed on this page. For an explanation of our Advertising Policy, visit this page.
The Canary Islands offer a little something for everyone. From spectacular beaches and crystal-blue waters to lush national parks that offer a multitude of adventures, the Spanish archipelago is bursting with reasons to visit. Oh, and there is that almost year-round “70 and sunny” weather to think about.
If you need one more reason, then try this. You can book fares now that are about half what they normally cost. This deal is through American and its partners for travel to Tenerife (TFN), the biggest of the seven islands, between January and April 2022. You can find availability through April from dozens of departing U.S. cities. There are a few nonstop flights to be found, but the majority involved a connecting stop.
The fares are basic economy, which comes with a free carry-on but no seat assignment. As always with these deals, having a flexible travel schedule will help you find the best prices.
Want your TPG news delivered straight to your inbox each morning? Sign up for our daily newsletter
A tip of the cap to Thrifty Traveler for telling us about this deal, which they first sent out to their premium subscribers. Non-members can find sale prices by using Google Flights to search for desired routes and dates.
Airlines: American (and partner airlines)
Routes: BHM/BOS/BWI/EWR/IND/JFK/LIT/MIA/MKE/MSP/ORD/PHL/SDF/STL and other cities to Tenerife, Spain (TFN)
Cost: Flights available from $232
Dates: January – April 2022; availability varies by city.
Pay with: The Platinum Card® from American Express for 5x on airfare booked directly with the airline or through American Express Travel (on up to $500,000 on these purchases per calendar year); the Citi Prestige® Card for 5x on airfare; the Citi Premier® Card (3x on air travel); Chase Sapphire Reserve (3x on air travel); the American Express® Gold Card for 3x on airfare when booked directly with the airline or through Amex Travel or the Chase Sapphire Preferred Card for 2x on travel — which you could redeem for as little as 13,000 points.
The information for the Citi Prestige Card has been collected independently by The Points Guy. The card details on this page have not been reviewed or provided by the card issuer.
Miami (MIA) to the Canary Islands (TFN) in March can be booked for just $496 round-trip. That’s about 50% cheaper than the usual price of that ticket.
You can fly out of Chicago (ORD) to Tenerife in January for $546. That’s for a basic economy seat, so if you need to check a bag, be aware it will cost you $130 to do so. Still, you’re saving several hundred dollars at this price.
Minnesota (MSP) to Tenerife is incredibly cheap right now, just $561 for a round-trip ticket in February. Normally, this route would cost more than twice that amount. It’s a two-stop itinerary and a Basic Economy fare, but it may be worth it for a price that low.
We found round-trip tickets from Boston (BOS) to Tenerife for under $500. The best availability at this price from this departure city was in March.
Maximize your purchase
Don’t forget to use a card that earns bonus points on airfare purchases, like The Platinum Card® from American Express for 5x on airfare booked directly with the airline or through American Express Travel (on up to $500,000 on these purchases per calendar year); the Citi Prestige® Card for 5x on airfare; the Citi Premier® Card (3x on air travel); Chase Sapphire Reserve (3x on air travel); the American Express® Gold Card for 3x on airfare when booked directly with the airline or through Amex Travel or the Chase Sapphire Preferred Card for 2x on travel — which you could redeem for as little as 13,000 points.
It’s rare to see flights to the Canary Islands at such a major discount. If you’ve been thinking about going, start booking your trip now before the best fares are gone.
Featured Image: Eduardo Ramos Castaneda for Getty Images
Welcome to The Points Guy!
Earn 50,000 bonus miles and 5,000 Medallion® Qualification Miles (MQMs) after you spend $2,000 in purchases on your new card in the first three months of card membership. Plus, earn up to $100 back in statement credits for eligible purchases at U.S. restaurants in the first three months of card membership.
With Status Boost™, earn 10,000 Medallion Qualification Miles (MQMs) after you spend $25,000 in purchases on your Card in a calendar year, up to two times per year getting you closer to Medallion Status. Earn 3X Miles on Delta purchases and purchases made directly with hotels, 2X Miles at restaurants and at U.S. supermarkets and earn 1X Mile on all other eligible purchases. Terms Apply.
- Earn 50,000 Bonus Miles and 5,000 Medallion® Qualification Miles (MQMs) after you spend $2,000 in purchases on your new Card in your first 3 months.
- Plus, earn up to $100 back in statement credits for eligible purchases at U.S. restaurants with your card within the first 3 months of membership.
- Earn up to 20,000 Medallion® Qualification Miles (MQMs) with Status Boost® per year. After you spend $25,000 in purchases on your Card in a calendar year, you can earn 10,000 MQMs two times per year, getting you closer to Medallion® Status. MQMs are used to determine Medallion® Status and are different than miles you earn toward flights.
- Earn 3X Miles on Delta purchases and purchases made directly with hotels.
- Earn 2X Miles at restaurants worldwide, including takeout and delivery and at U.S. supermarkets.
- Earn 1X Miles on all other eligible purchases.
- Receive a Domestic Main Cabin round-trip companion certificate each year upon renewal of your Card. *Payment of the government imposed taxes and fees of no more than $75 for roundtrip domestic flights (for itineraries with up to four flight segments) is required. Baggage charges and other restrictions apply. See terms and conditions for details.
- Enjoy your first checked bag free on Delta flights.
- Fee Credit for Global Entry or TSA Pre✓®.
- Enjoy an exclusive rate of $39 per person per visit to enter the Delta Sky Club® for you and up to two guests when traveling on a Delta flight.
- No Foreign Transaction Fees.
- $250 Annual Fee.
- Terms Apply.
- See Rates & Fees