Deal alert: Nonstop business-class flights to South America have dropped to $917 round-trip
This post contains references to products from one or more of our advertisers. We may receive compensation when you click on links to those products. Terms apply to the offers listed on this page. For an explanation of our Advertising Policy, visit this page.
If South America is on your early 2020 bucket list, here’s a perfect deal for you. We’re seeing deals from New York-JFK to Rio de Janeiro (GIG) and Guayaquil (GYE) for $1,394 on Google Flights, but if you really want to score, the right travel rewards credit card will save you hundreds.
The best deal can be found using Amex Travel’s International Airline Program (IAP), which is a perk you have if you hold The Platinum Card® from American Express, The Business Platinum Card® from American Express, or The Centurion Card from American Express. Make sure you check there first, which drops the price to Guayaquil to $917 and Rio to under $1,200. The dates for travel appear to be between January and February 2020.
The Rio routes are in Delta One, on a Boeing 767. This Delta One product is arranged in a 1-2-1 configuration, with every business-class passenger having access to the aisle without having to interrupt neighbors. If you’re lucky, you may be able to score a ticket in LATAM’s new retrofitted 767 business class, which is available on select routes. A quick search on FlightRadar24 shows the retrofitted plane with the tail number registered CC-CXC has been used on several JFK-GYE legs in recent days.
To search, head to Google Flights or Amex Travel and enter your origin and destination cities. Scroll through the calendar function to find dates and prices that work for you. Finally, click through to book directly with the airline or an OTA like Orbitz or Expedia.
Airline: Delta, LATAM
Routes: JFK – GYE/GIG
Cost: $917+ round-trip nonstop in business
Dates: January – February 2020
Pay With: The Platinum Card® from American Express (5x on airfare booked directly with the airline), Citi Prestige® Card (5x on airfare), Citi Premier® Card, Chase Sapphire Reserve (3x on airfare), American Express® Gold Card (3x on airfare when booked directly with the airline) or Chase Sapphire Preferred Card (2x on travel)
Here’s what you can book:
New York-JFK to Guayaquil (GYE) for $917 round-trip nonstop in business class through the International Airline Program:
New York-JFK to Rio (GIG) for $1,193 round-trip nonstop in business class through the International Airline Program:
Maximize your purchase
Don’t forget to use a credit card that earns additional points on airfare purchases, such as The Platinum Card® from American Express (5x on flights booked directly with airlines or American Express Travel), Chase Sapphire Reserve, American Express® Gold Card, Citi Premier® Card, Citi Prestige Card (5x on airfare) or the Chase Sapphire Preferred Card (2x on all travel purchases). Check out our guide to maximizing airfare purchases to learn more.
Featured photo by f11photo/Getty Images.
Welcome to The Points Guy!
Earn 90,000 bonus miles and 10,000 Medallion® Qualification Miles (MQMs) after you spend $3,000 in purchases on your new card in the first three months of card membership. Offer ends 11/10/2021.
With Status Boost™, earn 10,000 Medallion Qualification Miles (MQMs) after you spend $25,000 in purchases on your Card in a calendar year, up to two times per year getting you closer to Medallion Status. Earn 3X Miles on Delta purchases and purchases made directly with hotels, 2X Miles at restaurants and at U.S. supermarkets and earn 1X Mile on all other eligible purchases. Terms Apply.
- Limited Time Offer: Earn 90,000 Bonus Miles and 10,000 Medallion® Qualification Miles (MQMs) after you spend $3,000 in purchases on your new Card in your first 3 months. Offer expires 11/10/2021.
- Earn up to 20,000 Medallion® Qualification Miles (MQMs) with Status Boost® per year. After you spend $25,000 in purchases on your Card in a calendar year, you can earn 10,000 MQMs two times per year, getting you closer to Medallion® Status. MQMs are used to determine Medallion® Status and are different than miles you earn toward flights.
- Earn 3X Miles on Delta purchases and purchases made directly with hotels.
- Earn 2X Miles at restaurants worldwide, including takeout and delivery and at U.S. supermarkets.
- Earn 1X Miles on all other eligible purchases.
- Receive a Domestic Main Cabin round-trip companion certificate each year upon renewal of your Card. *Payment of the government imposed taxes and fees of no more than $75 for roundtrip domestic flights (for itineraries with up to four flight segments) is required. Baggage charges and other restrictions apply. See terms and conditions for details.
- Enjoy your first checked bag free on Delta flights.
- Fee Credit for Global Entry or TSA Pre✓®.
- Enjoy an exclusive rate of $39 per person per visit to enter the Delta Sky Club® for you and up to two guests when traveling on a Delta flight.
- No Foreign Transaction Fees.
- $250 Annual Fee.
- Terms Apply.
- See Rates & Fees