Black Friday deal roundup: flights, car rentals, luggage and more
This post contains references to products from one or more of our advertisers. We may receive compensation when you click on links to those products. Terms apply to the offers listed on this page. For an explanation of our Advertising Policy, visit this page.
It’s the day after Thanksgiving here in the United States, known to most as “Black Friday,” and with next week’s Cyber Monday, we’ve rounded up two days of travel deals you likely won’t see again until next year at this time.
Rest assured, we’ve got you covered with the latest deals just for you, so you can continue to enjoy that post-Thanksgiving meal consumption hump without missing out on these savings.
For more TPG news delivered each morning to your inbox, sign up for our daily newsletter.
Save up to 20% on Air Canada flights to Canada and select international destinations, including the U.S., South America, Asia and Australia, for travel through June 30, 2022. No promo code is needed for this deal; simply book through aircanada.com/en-us/seat-sale.
Additionally, use promo code 20MILLION to earn an extra 1,000 bonus points for every booking through Nov. 28.
Save up to $500 with BA’s “Black Friday vacation sale,” which travelers can save on new vacation packages booked between now and Nov. 29, 2021.
Vacation bookings include flight and hotel packages or flight and car rental packages originating in the U.S. valid when combined with BA and American Airlines operated flights:
- Spend $1000 on a package, save $50
- Spend $2000 on a package, save $100
- Spend $4000 on a package, save $250
- Spend $6000 spent on a package, save $500
“The more you spend, the more you save,” says BA, which is good for travel completed by Aug. 31, 2022, and booked through BA directly.
Explore the world with Delta’s “Season of Adventure Deals” running through Nov. 30, with deals for premium select flights to Europe, basic economy/main cabin domestic fares and basic economy/main cabin fares to Latin America and the Caribbean.
SkyMiles members can book the following deals using miles:
- Book domestic flights with as low as 7,000 SkyMiles round-trip, to destinations including Miami, Las Vegas and Los Angeles, for travel Jan. 10 — Feb. 28, 2022.
- Flights to Latin America and the Caribbean for as low as 12,000 SkyMiles round-trip, to places such as the U.S. Virgin Islands, Belize and the Bahamas, for use from Jan. 5 through Feb. 28, 2022.
- Jet to Europe for 100,000 miles in premium select to London, Amsterdam, Paris, Madrid and more, for travel starting this month through May 6, 2022.
Fares to Europe are available for travel booked Nov. 23, 2021 — May 6, 2022; domestically for travel starting Jan. 10 — Feb. 28, 2022, and to Latin America/the Caribbean for travel starting Jan. 5 — Feb. 28, 2022. Tickets are nonrefundable except per Delta’s cancellation policy.
Fly to any of Etihad’s select worldwide destinations, such as Abu Dhabi, Bombay, Cairo and the Maldives and more, with economy fares starting as low as $599 and business class for $2,390 round-trip.
This Black Flyday sale will run through Nov. 30 and is valid for travel starting Jan. 17 through May 19, 2022.
“Guests can also book now and change their flights later with no additional costs, for total peace of mind,” says Etihad, who directs travelers to book their flights at etihad.com or the Etihad app, where they can view the latest sale fares.
Find savings for flight, hotel, plus light and cruise packages when you book through JetBlue Vacations Nov. 23 — Nov. 30 for travel starting Dec. 8, 2021 — Oct. 15. 2022.
Specifically, you can earn:
- $50 off when you spend $500 or more
- $150 off when you spend $1,000 or more
- $500 off when you spend $3,000 or more
- $750 off when you spend $6,000 or more
Minimum spending and terms apply. Visit jetbluevacations.com to book.
Get $100 off flights to Europe, Africa, India and the Middle East via United’s Black Friday Deal through Nov. 29.
Travelers can book this deal by entering the promo code BLACKFRIDAY2021 on united.com or the United mobile app for travel completed by Nov. 1, 2022.
“Book now, change later! With no change fees, you are free to adjust your travel dates anytime,” says United.
Hopper, the travel booking app, will be running a big travel sale on Nov. 30, including discounts to bucket-list destinations like Santorini and the Maldives, deals from partner airlines including Singapore Airlines and Fiji Airways and discounts on some of Hopper’s services, including 30% off flight disruption guarantee and flexible booking options.
To explore these deals, download the Hopper app to get real-time alerts on the flight, hotel and rental car discounts you’re interested in throughout the day. More details can be found here.
Scott’s Cheap Flights
A premium membership will go from $49 to $24/year (51% off), and Elite will drop from $199 to $174/year ($25 off). This is the first time Elite has gone on sale. Elite members receive a wider variety of flight deals than premium members, including premium economy, business class and first class deals.
Thrifty Traveler Premium
There are three Black Friday deals from our friends at Thrifty Traveler Premium, which emails members cheap domestic and international airfare alerts, including mistake fares, cheap business/first-class fares and award fare alerts, for $7.99 monthly or $49.99 annually.
New subscribers can get $20 off their first year by using the promo code “BF20” at checkout.
Head to Google Flights to search the below deals.
Nonstop fares to Tokyo (HND and NRT) from Los Angeles (LAX) for just $548 round-trip. Although Japan is currently closed to most travelers, this deal is good for travel from January through May 2022, so we recommend booking as far out as possible in hopes that it’ll reopen early next year.
Flights are in economy on Singapore Airlines, which includes meals, one carry-on and two free checked bags.
Travel from select U.S. cities to Bangkok (BKK) or Phuket (HKT) on Singapore Airlines for $647 round-trip. This deal is good for economy travel booked from January — May 2022.
Example flights include:
- Houston (IAH) to BKK and HKT starting at $608 round-trip
- Los Angeles (LAX) to BKK starting at $637 round-trip
- New York (JFK) to BKK starting at $630 round-trip
- New York (JFK) to HKT starting at $637 round-trip
Singapore Airlines is currently offering unlimited fare changes through Dec. 31, 2021, after which point you can change an additional time for free, although a fare difference may apply.
Turks and Caicos
There’s also a wide-reaching deal to the Turks and Caicos (PLS) on American, Delta and JetBlue with flights in the $200s and $300s departing from various U.S. cities. Flights are valid for travel this December through October 2022.
Example flights in this deal to PLS include round-trip fares from the below cities:
- From Miami (MIA), starting at $208, nonstop
- From Philadelphia (PHL), New York (JFK), Newark (EWR), starting at $213, nonstop
- From Ft. Lauderdale (FLL), starting at $225, nonstop
- From Jacksonville (JAX) starting at $314
- From Boston (BOS), starting at $345
- From New Orleans (MSY) and Hartford (BDL), starting at $356
- From Destin (VPS), Fort Myers (RSW), Gainesville (GNV), Gulfport (GPT), Mobile (MOB), Myrtle Beach (MYR), Sarasota (SRQ) – $366Savannah (SAV), Tampa (TPA) and West Palm Beach starting at $366
Most of these flights are in basic economy, which includes one free carry-on on AA and Delta.
Maximize your purchase
Don’t forget to use a credit card that earns bonus points on airfare purchases, such as The Platinum Card® from American Express (5x on airfare booked directly with the airline or through American Express Travel), Citi Prestige® Card (5x on airfare), Citi Premier® Card, Chase Sapphire Reserve (3x on airfare), American Express® Gold Card (3x on airfare) or the Chase Sapphire Preferred Card (2x on travel). Check out this post for more on maximizing airfare purchases.
The information for the Citi Prestige Card has been collected independently by The Points Guy. The card details on this page have not been reviewed or provided by the card issuer.
Although generally used as a way to book hotels and other accommodations, Booking.com is offering car rental deals this year as part of their Black Friday sale, with up to 20% off car rentals booked through their site.
Their massive sale also includes deals on everything from hotels with stunning city views to oceanfront homes for a beach getaway.
To search for this deal, visit www.booking.com/dealspage.html to be directed to the landing page of participating properties and rental cars, all of which will have a Black Friday badge, from now through Dec. 1, for travel through June 30, 2022.
Cancellation policies vary by property.
Shopping portal Rakuten is offering users 15% cash Back from 700+ stores and brands across all categories starting Thanksgiving Day through Cyber Monday, Nov. 25 —29.
Members can earn cashback from stores such as Macy’s, Bloomingdale’s, Michaels, Walgreens, GameStop, LEGO, Backcountry.com, Eagle Creek, The North Face, Samsonite, Nike, Adidas, Converse, Godiva, Harry & David, Verizon, Dell, Kiehl’s, Samsung, shopDisney, The Body Shop, ULTA, Things Remembered and more.
Rakuten allows you to select either cashback or American Express Membership Rewards points when shopping online at rakuten.com.
Goldbelly is an online gourmet food delivery company. They are offering 20% off site-wide from now until Nov. 29, 2021. Use the code “GIVEGOLD21” at checkout. Some brands are excluded, and it’s only valid on full-price items.
Save $40 on an annual membership to Clear and speed your way through security at nearly 40 airports across the U.S., in addition to stadiums and other public venues, where users have access to a separate security line allowing them to bypass having to show a physical form of ID.
Luggage and electronics
Everyone’s favorite suitcase maker Away is having their Black Friday sale through Nov. 29, where you can get up to 40% off suitcases and accessories, including their Everywhere Bag for $147, Expandable Carry-on for $191 and the Bigger Carry-on with pocket for $227, among other items.
TPG’s Stella Shon got herself the Expandable Carry-On for 16,000 UR points instead of paying nearly $200 in cash.
Related: Luggage Review: Away Kids’ Carry-On
With Roam’s once-a-year sale, you can buy one suitcase and save $50, buy two suitcases and save $125 or buy three suitcases and save $250 in their custom-made savings event this Black Friday weekend.
Shoppers can choose from one of eight sized suitcases, ranging from $495 for the Jaunt carry-on to the Expedition Expandable for $650, customizable by shell and trim color, with free monogramming too.
Swedish lifestyle brand Ubranista is offering 40% off an array of headphones and speakers from Urbanista.com through Nov. 30. Choose from their Urbanista Athens waterproof headphones, Urbanista Paris noise-canceling wireless headphones, and Urbanista Miami active noise-canceling over-ear headphones with a 50-hour battery life.
These are just some of the travel-related deals you’ll find this year for Black Friday and Cyber Monday. Be sure to check out TPG’s other guides for deals related to hotels and cruises too.
Featured image by Burak Karademir via Getty Images
Welcome to The Points Guy!
Earn 50,000 bonus miles and 5,000 Medallion® Qualification Miles (MQMs) after you spend $2,000 in purchases on your new card in the first three months of card membership. Plus, earn up to $100 back in statement credits for eligible purchases at U.S. restaurants in the first three months of card membership.
With Status Boost™, earn 10,000 Medallion Qualification Miles (MQMs) after you spend $25,000 in purchases on your Card in a calendar year, up to two times per year getting you closer to Medallion Status. Earn 3X Miles on Delta purchases and purchases made directly with hotels, 2X Miles at restaurants and at U.S. supermarkets and earn 1X Mile on all other eligible purchases. Terms Apply.
- Earn 50,000 Bonus Miles and 5,000 Medallion® Qualification Miles (MQMs) after you spend $2,000 in purchases on your new Card in your first 3 months.
- Plus, earn up to $100 back in statement credits for eligible purchases at U.S. restaurants with your card within the first 3 months of membership.
- Earn up to 20,000 Medallion® Qualification Miles (MQMs) with Status Boost® per year. After you spend $25,000 in purchases on your Card in a calendar year, you can earn 10,000 MQMs two times per year, getting you closer to Medallion® Status. MQMs are used to determine Medallion® Status and are different than miles you earn toward flights.
- Earn 3X Miles on Delta purchases and purchases made directly with hotels.
- Earn 2X Miles at restaurants worldwide, including takeout and delivery and at U.S. supermarkets.
- Earn 1X Miles on all other eligible purchases.
- Receive a Domestic Main Cabin round-trip companion certificate each year upon renewal of your Card. *Payment of the government imposed taxes and fees of no more than $75 for roundtrip domestic flights (for itineraries with up to four flight segments) is required. Baggage charges and other restrictions apply. See terms and conditions for details.
- Enjoy your first checked bag free on Delta flights.
- Fee Credit for Global Entry or TSA Pre✓®.
- Enjoy an exclusive rate of $39 per person per visit to enter the Delta Sky Club® for you and up to two guests when traveling on a Delta flight.
- No Foreign Transaction Fees.
- $250 Annual Fee.
- Terms Apply.
- See Rates & Fees