This post contains references to products from one or more of our advertisers. We may receive compensation when you click on links to those products. For an explanation of our Advertising Policy, visit this page.
Amtrak just rolled out their latest sale, with discounts of 50% on nearly all routes across America. If you didn’t already have Labor Day plans, then here’s your opportunity to head somewhere new or go visit friends or family because there are no black out dates. However, the sale is only running for two days, so if a deal fits your September travel plans then you’ll want to act fast.
Below are some of the rates that Amtrak is promoting on its website:
The discount will automatically be applied at check out on all valid routes. After doing a quick search between New York Penn and Washington DC’s Union Station, it appears that every train is priced at the sale price, so this is a great opportunity to be protected from Amtrak’s usual dynamic pricing.
Start your search for discounted tickets on the Amtrak website. There’s no coupon code needed to unlock the cheap fares.
Routes: Services include all routes except for the Pennsylvanian and Keystone local service between Philadelphia and Harrisburg, Capitol Corridor, Hiawatha, Pacific Surfliner, and 7000-8999 Thruways.
Cost: From $16 one-way
Book by: Aug. 17, 2019
Travel Dates: Sept. 1 through Sept. 30, 2019
Restrictions: Prices can’t be combined with other discount codes. Upgrades to Business Class are not permitted, and it’s only valid for Acela Business class and NER coach seats only. Space is limited as sale prices are not available on all trains or at all times. Once purchased, tickets are non-refundable. Exchanges are permitted within the ticket validity period; a 25% cancellation fee applies. Other restrictions may also apply.
Pay With: Chase Sapphire Reserve (3x on travel), Citi Premier Card (3x on travel) or Chase Sapphire Preferred Card (2x on travel)
Here are a few examples of what you can book:
Chicago, IL to St. Louis, MO for $16 one-way:
Portland, OR to Seattle, WA for $18 one-way: San Diego, CA to Los Angeles, CA for $35 one-way: Washington DC to New York, NY for $39 one-way: Washington DC to Boston, MA for $57 one-way: Denver, CO to Chicago, IL for $62 one-way:
Maximize Your Purchase
Don’t forget to use a credit card that earns additional points on train purchases, such as the Chase Sapphire Reserve (3x on all travel purchases), Citi Premier Card (3x on travel purchases) or the Chase Sapphire Preferred Card (2x on all travel purchases).
Featured image by Summer Hull / The Points Guy.
Know before you go.
News and deals straight to your inbox every day.
WELCOME OFFER: 60,000 Points Terms Apply.
TPG'S BONUS VALUATION*: $1,200
CARD HIGHLIGHTS: Delta Sky Club and Centurion lounge access, $200 annual airline fee credit and up to $200 in Uber credits annually
*Bonus value is an estimated value calculated by TPG and not the card issuer. View our latest valuations here.
- Earn 60,000 Membership Rewards® points after you use your new Card to make $5,000 in purchases in your first 3 months.
- Enjoy Uber VIP status and free rides in the U.S. up to $15 each month, plus a bonus $20 in December. That can be up to $200 in annual Uber savings.
- 5X Membership Rewards® points on flights booked directly with airlines or with American Express Travel.
- 5X Membership Rewards points on prepaid hotels booked on amextravel.com.
- Enjoy access to the Global Lounge Collection, the only credit card airport lounge access program that includes proprietary lounge locations around the world.
- Receive complimentary benefits with an average total value of $550 with Fine Hotels & Resorts. Learn More.
- $200 Airline Fee Credit, up to $200 per calendar year in baggage fees and more at one qualifying airline.
- Get up to $100 in statement credits annually for purchases at Saks Fifth Avenue on your Platinum Card®. Enrollment required.
- $550 annual fee.
- Terms Apply.
- See Rates & Fees