American Airlines puts Europe on sale; Deals start at under $500
This post contains references to products from one or more of our advertisers. We may receive compensation when you click on links to those products. Terms apply to the offers listed on this page. For an explanation of our Advertising Policy, visit this page.
If you’re in the mood for authentic fish and chips, a smooth Guinness, rich risotto or buttery croissants, then a trip to Europe could be just what you need. American Airlines is offering discounted fares from various U.S. cities including New York, Chicago, Los Angeles and Miami to major European destinations in the U.K., Spain, Italy and France for under $500 round-trip.
These fares are available for travel from February to April. A complete list of discounted European fares can be found on the American Airlines site.
Airline: American Airlines
Routes: DFW/LAX/LGA/JFK/PHL/MIA/ORD to LHR/MAD/DUB/LIS/BCN/CDG/ZRH
How to book: Directly through the airline or via Google Flights
Travel dates: February – April
Here are some American Airlines routes on sale:
- New York (JFK) to London (LHR) – $436
- Dallas (DFW) to Barcelona (BCN) – $446
- Miami (MIA) to Milan (MXP) – $472
- Chicago (ORD) to Dublin (DUB) – $476
- Los Angeles (LAX) to Paris (CDG) – $488
- Philadelphia (PHL) to Zurich (ZRH) – $495
These fares are for basic economy seating on American, which includes a standard seat and a carry-on. A checked bag and seat selection will each cost an additional fee.
One of the lowest-priced trips we found from New York (JFK) is to London (LHR) for $436 round-trip at the beginning of March. The departure is an overnight flight, and the return includes a stop in Helsinki (HEL).
There is a flight from Dallas (DFW) to Barcelona (BCN) for $446 round-trip departing at the end of February and returning in the beginning of March. The flight to Spain has a layover in New York (JFK) and the return trip has a stop in Miami (MIA).
Travelers can go from Miami (MIA) to Milan (MXP) for $472 round-trip at the end of March. This deal includes a stop in New York on the outbound flight, but note that passengers fly into LaGuardia Airport (LGA) and the second leg of the journey is out of JFK to Milan. Travelers will have to make their way from one airport to the other. The distance between JFK and LGA is about 11 miles or a 25-minute cab ride.
The Windy City is known for dyeing the Chicago River green to celebrate St. Patrick’s Day, so they take the holiday seriously! Travelers can fly from Chicago (ORD) to Dublin (DUB) for $476 round-trip at the beginning of March. The journey to Ireland includes a stop in London (LHR) and the return flight has a layover in Philadelphia (PHL).
Angelenos can trade in their In-N-Out burger for a Croque Madame with a trip from Los Angeles (LAX) to Paris (CDG) at $488 round-trip. The flight to France has a stop in New York (JFK), and on the way back there’s a stop in Helsinki (HEL).
At the end of March, there are affordable nonstop flights on American from Philadelphia (PHL) to Zurich, Switzerland (ZRH) for $495 round-trip.
Maximize your purchase
Pay with: The Platinum Card® from American Express for 5x on airfare booked directly with the airline or through American Express Travel (on up to $500,000 on these purchases per calendar year), the Citi Prestige® Card for 5x on airfare, the Citi Premier® Card or Chase Sapphire Reserve for 3x on air travel, the American Express® Gold Card for 3x on airfare when booked directly with the airline or through Amex Travel, or use the Chase Sapphire Preferred Card for 2x on travel.
The information for the Citi Prestige Card has been collected independently by The Points Guy. The card details on this page have not been reviewed or provided by the card issuer.
Snag these deals from American Airlines to European destinations to experience some rich cuisine at an affordable price.
Welcome to The Points Guy!
WELCOME OFFER: 80,000 Points
TPG'S BONUS VALUATION*: $1,600
CARD HIGHLIGHTS: 3X points on dining and 2x points on travel, points transferrable to over a dozen travel partners
*Bonus value is an estimated value calculated by TPG and not the card issuer. View our latest valuations here.
- Earn 80,000 bonus points after you spend $4,000 on purchases in the first 3 months from account opening. That's $1,000 when you redeem through Chase Ultimate Rewards®.
- Enjoy benefits such as a $50 annual Ultimate Rewards Hotel Credit, 5x on travel purchased through Chase Ultimate Rewards®, 3x on dining and 2x on all other travel purchases, plus more.
- Get 25% more value when you redeem for airfare, hotels, car rentals and cruises through Chase Ultimate Rewards®. For example, 80,000 points are worth $1,000 toward travel.
- With Pay Yourself Back℠, your points are worth 25% more during the current offer when you redeem them for statement credits against existing purchases in select, rotating categories
- Count on Trip Cancellation/Interruption Insurance, Auto Rental Collision Damage Waiver, Lost Luggage Insurance and more.