Deal alert: Fly to London this summer in American business class from 57,500 miles each way
This post contains references to products from one or more of our advertisers. We may receive compensation when you click on links to those products. Terms apply to the offers listed on this page. For an explanation of our Advertising Policy, visit this page.
Europe is getting set to reopen in the coming months so now may be the best time to book travel.
The European Union is expected to allow vaccinated travelers, including U.S. residents, to enter by summer. Additionally, support is mounting for the United Kingdom and U.S. to reestablish an air travel corridor by this June.
As first reported by View From The Wing, we’re currently seeing one-way business class award space to and from London and a wide array of U.S. cities for 57,500 American AAdvantage miles. There’s availability for travel from this summer through the fall, but you’ll want to act quickly because there’s no telling how long this MilesAAver award space will be around.
For more TPG news and deals delivered each morning to your inbox, sign up for our free daily newsletter.
AAdvantage awards in premium cabins are notoriously difficult to book at low mileage levels, so this is notable if you’re sitting on a stash of American miles.
American flies an array of widebody planes to London, including the Boeing 787-8, 787-9, 777-200 and 777-300ER. While each American business class seat might vary, every configuration comes complete with direct aisle access, lie-flat beds and full, hot meals.
Even better, as of November 2020, change and cancellation fees on all American award tickets are waived. That’s regardless of destination or class of service. While they remain non-changeable, anyone can now redeposit them back into an AAdvantage account for free.
That means if your plans change — or Europe doesn’t follow through with its reopening — you can book without having to worry about losing your miles or paying a redeposit fee.
Airline: American Airlines
Routes: Various U.S. cities to London-Heathrow (LHR). Best nonstop availability is from New York (JFK), Chicago (ORD) and Philadelphia (PHL). Other cities will likely require a connection.
Cost: 57,500 AAdvantage miles (MilesAAver) plus $11.20 in taxes and fees
Dates: Summer through early fall
Pay Taxes/Fees With: The Platinum Card® from American Express (5x on airfare booked directly with the airline; on up to $500,000 on these purchases per calendar year), Chase Sapphire Reserve (3x on travel) or Chase Sapphire Preferred Card (2x on travel) for travel protections on the award flight.
Important note: To book, make sure you filter to American Airlines flights only, as booking with partner British Airways will incur a hefty fuel surcharge.
Here are a few examples of itineraries you can book. Note that this is not an exhaustive list of cities. In fact, in our search, many U.S. cities (including secondary, smaller airports) required only 57,500 AAdvantage miles. However, if you want to fly nonstop to London in business, the American hubs of New York and Chicago are your best bets.
Nonstop New York (JFK) to London nonstop (up to 4 seats per flight)
Chicago (ORD) to London (LHR) in September nonstop
Los Angeles (LAX) to London (LHR) with connections
Low-level MilesAAver availability is even appearing from the U.S. West Coast, but you’ll most likely require a domestic connection before heading onwards to London.
Boosting your AAdvantage balance
There are a variety of ways to boost your AAdvantage balance, so you’re ready for the next deal. One way is to sign up for an AAdvantage credit card. Some of the better offers include:
- Citi® / AAdvantage® Executive World Elite Mastercard®: Earn 50,000 bonus miles after spending $5,000 on purchases within the first three months of account opening. Earn 2x AAdvantage miles on eligible American Airlines purchases and 1x mile elsewhere. ($450 annual fee)
- Citi® / AAdvantage® Platinum Select® World Elite Mastercard®: Earn 50,000 bonus miles after spending $2,500 on purchases in the first three months of account opening. Earn 2x AAdvantage miles on gas station, restaurant, and eligible American Airlines purchases and 1x mile elsewhere. ($99 annual fee, waived the first year)
- CitiBusiness® / AAdvantage® Platinum Select® Mastercard®: Earn 65,000 bonus miles after spending $4,000 in purchases within the first four months of account opening. ($99 annual fee, waived for the first 12 months)
The information for the Citi AAdvantage Platinum Select, CitiBusiness AAdvantage Platinum Select has been collected independently by The Points Guy. The card details on this page have not been reviewed or provided by the card issuer.
Maximize your purchase
When paying the taxes and fees on your award ticket, be sure to use a card that earns additional points on airfare purchases and offers travel protections in case anything goes wrong. Cards that fit the bill include The Platinum Card® from American Express, Chase Sapphire Reserve, or the Chase Sapphire Preferred Card.
Featured photo by Scott E Barbour/Getty Images.
Welcome to The Points Guy!
Earn 90,000 bonus miles and 10,000 Medallion® Qualification Miles (MQMs) after you spend $3,000 in purchases on your new card in the first three months of card membership. Offer ends 11/10/2021.
With Status Boost™, earn 10,000 Medallion Qualification Miles (MQMs) after you spend $25,000 in purchases on your Card in a calendar year, up to two times per year getting you closer to Medallion Status. Earn 3X Miles on Delta purchases and purchases made directly with hotels, 2X Miles at restaurants and at U.S. supermarkets and earn 1X Mile on all other eligible purchases. Terms Apply.
- Limited Time Offer: Earn 90,000 Bonus Miles and 10,000 Medallion® Qualification Miles (MQMs) after you spend $3,000 in purchases on your new Card in your first 3 months. Offer expires 11/10/2021.
- Earn up to 20,000 Medallion® Qualification Miles (MQMs) with Status Boost® per year. After you spend $25,000 in purchases on your Card in a calendar year, you can earn 10,000 MQMs two times per year, getting you closer to Medallion® Status. MQMs are used to determine Medallion® Status and are different than miles you earn toward flights.
- Earn 3X Miles on Delta purchases and purchases made directly with hotels.
- Earn 2X Miles at restaurants worldwide, including takeout and delivery and at U.S. supermarkets.
- Earn 1X Miles on all other eligible purchases.
- Receive a Domestic Main Cabin round-trip companion certificate each year upon renewal of your Card. *Payment of the government imposed taxes and fees of no more than $75 for roundtrip domestic flights (for itineraries with up to four flight segments) is required. Baggage charges and other restrictions apply. See terms and conditions for details.
- Enjoy your first checked bag free on Delta flights.
- Fee Credit for Global Entry or TSA Pre✓®.
- Enjoy an exclusive rate of $39 per person per visit to enter the Delta Sky Club® for you and up to two guests when traveling on a Delta flight.
- No Foreign Transaction Fees.
- $250 Annual Fee.
- Terms Apply.
- See Rates & Fees